Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha! I am starting to get it. We will be gearing up for hay season in a few months!
Oh really yikes... yeah it's mid summer here, mine tends to come just towards the end of spring strangely, and quite bad!

Ah man I don't know how you go hangin round all that hay with hayfever!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
aside from feeding your cows with it, how much $$ is in haymaking (pun unavoidable)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
aside from feeding your cows with it, how much $$ is in haymaking (pun unavoidable)
It is not going to make you rich but you can make decent money if you are positioned well. If you already have the land or have good lease arrangements and have the equipment you should usually be able to have a 3:1 ratio on your investment, including your own time. There is definitely a spike in prices in the last year so it may go higher until the looming inflation/depression catches up with us.
Depending on the hay quality I can produce a 4'x5' roll for as little as $11-$12. But that is what is commonly called scrub hay, sold to people who buy purely on price or feed it to certain animals such as goats who do well on scrub hay.
We are one of few outfits around here who will custom round roll alfalfa. Most of it is squared baled or cubed and packaged. An alfalfa roll will sell for $180-$200 all day long. Like most folks, we square bale most of the alfalfa.
Here is a good example of how lucrative packaging can be and how 'stupid' people are when they buy on ignorance and convenience:
https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Farme...t=&hvlocphy=9023814&hvtargid=pla-569160425734
Anyone can by full bales of alfalfa weighing 50-60lbs for $10-$20 depending on their location and quantity. It is crazy.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not going to make you rich but you can make decent money if you are positioned well. If you already have the land or have good lease arrangements and have the equipment you should usually be able to have a 3:1 ratio on your investment, including your own time. There is definitely a spike in prices in the last year so it may go higher until the looming inflation/depression catches up with us.
Depending on the hay quality I can produce a 4'x5' roll for as little as $11-$12. But that is what is commonly called scrub hay, sold to people who buy purely on price or feed it to certain animals such as goats who do well on scrub hay.
We are one of few outfits around here who will custom round roll alfalfa. Most of it is squared baled or cubed and packaged. An alfalfa roll will sell fo
Alas, I have no r $180-$200 all day long. Like most folks, we square bale most of the alfalfa.
Here is a good example of how lucrative packaging can be and how 'stupid' people are when they buy on ignorance and convenience:
https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Farme...t=&hvlocphy=9023814&hvtargid=pla-569160425734
Anyone can by full bales of alfalfa weighing 50-60lbs for $10-$20 depending on their location and quantity. It is crazy.
LOL, yeah I was looking at those small baggies for rabbits, and though, dang, I might as well go to the feed store and buy one big bale (and a bag to put it in) and come out ahead. Alas, I have no rabbit.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today's UFC main even, Max Holloway vs Calvin Kattar, was a barn burner. It's only January and it might be the fight of the year.

Haven't yelled that much watching a fight in a long, long time.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heeeerrrrrre we go!
bf0eb5693bd7435ee7a447bb34eb15ce.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So Jacob is giving his first introductory course tonight for 2 new students....he is pretty excited.

His instructor had to go out of town and asked him to do it for him.

He is also running classes this week for him but he has run classes before.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So Jacob is giving his first introductory course tonight for 2 new students....he is pretty excited.

His instructor had to go out of town and asked him to do it for him.

He is also running classes this week for him but he has run classes before.
Good young man you have there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, it all appears to come down to tomorrow. They have barricaded and increased police presence at the state capital and increased security at my building. Now wait and see if the FBI warnings about armed protests at 50 state capitals is correct, or a bluff, or since there was pre-warning, maybe the protestors have postponed it. I work about a 1/2 mile from the capital, but my building is no stranger to protests.

I will know more after work tomorrow I guess

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it all appears to come down to tomorrow. They have barricaded and increased police presence at the state capital and increased security at my building. Now wait and see if the FBI warnings about armed protests at 50 state capitals is correct, or a bluff, or since there was pre-warning, maybe the protestors have postponed it. I work about a 1/2 mile from the capital, but my building is no stranger to protests.

Where I work is a government building, but not at that much risk. Still, I'm taking a half day. I don't expect anything to happen, I'm not expecting any violent riots tomorrow this far away, but part of situational awareness is avoiding those situations to begin with.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Where I work is a government building, but not at that much risk. Still, I'm taking a half day. I don't expect anything to happen, I'm not expecting any violent riots tomorrow this far away, but part of situational awareness is avoiding those situations to begin with.

I would avoid it too, but I currently work 3 days from home and 2 days in the office....and tomorrow is one of those 2 days. I dealt with protesters before when I was physical security, but they were not armed

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny, but I can't believe that's real. Has a Parks and Rec "Garry" vibe to it.
Hahaha yes ah I get the reference ;).

And yeah I couldn't help but feel it was staged, especially at the start where he was really pointing out to be careful with the cable, but man if it is real, daaaaamn. It was quite a structure!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah will see how it all goes... can't help but think it won't be entirely without drama of sorts...

Stay safe guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions