Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is SUCH a dad joke. But seriously.... Damn. That sucks. I am extremely prejudiced against spoiled children. Must be that dreaded Soviet upbringing talking. Those kids are lucky I wasn't on that plane - they would have experienced the results of said upbringing. Meat hooks and duct tape might have been involved, but I am sure other passengers would have had a much more pleasant flight.

I have flown with duct tape and zip ties since the seventies. Haven't had to use them yet, fortunately. But I've trained on planes for years, just in case.

I'll tell you a story, that was in Time Magazine, about my friend Bobby Hayden. May he rest in peace...

Him and his wife of forty years, Katie, were flying back to Massachusetts from California. As he always did, he quietly informed a flight attendant that he was a police officer, and that if the crew needed any assistance, to give him a signal.

Mid flight, two lunatics get up, start screaming "the plane is going to crash", and start ripping open the overhead storage compartments and start throwing bags into the aisle.

The flight attendant signals Bobby, who calmly gets up, knocks out the closest guy with a left hook from hell, grabs the second guy, picks him up and drops him on his head, knocking him out cold as well. Then he and the other passengers tie them up with people's neck ties and belts from their pants, gag them and drag them to the back of the plane.

The passengers go nuts, cheering and applauding. The whole time Katie is reading a novel, and doesn't even look up. A guy beside her, who's applauding wildly, says to her, "I can't believe you didn't even stop reading!"

Katie still doesn't look up. She says, "Yeah, well, he's been doing this stuff his whole life, I've never read this book before."

I read that article every year and still laugh.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have flown with duct tape and zip ties since the seventies. Haven't had to use them yet, fortunately. But I've trained on planes for years, just in case.

I'll tell you a story, that was in Time Magazine, about my friend Bobby Hayden. May he rest in peace...

Him and his wife of forty years, Katie, were flying back to Massachusetts from California. As he always did, he quietly informed a flight attendant that he was a police officer, and that if the crew needed any assistance, to give him a signal.

Mid flight, two lunatics get up, start screaming "the plane is going to crash", and start ripping open the overhead storage compartments and start throwing bags into the aisle.

The flight attendant signals Bobby, who calmly gets up, knocks out the closest guy with a left hook from hell, grabs the second guy, picks him up and drops him on his head, knocking him out cold as well. Then he and the other passengers tie them up with people's neck ties and belts from their pants, gag them and drag them to the back of the plane.

The passengers go nuts, cheering and applauding. The whole time Katie is reading a novel, and doesn't even look up. A guy beside her, who's applauding wildly, says to her, "I can't believe you didn't even stop reading!"

Katie still doesn't look up. She says, "Yeah, well, he's been doing this stuff his whole life, I've never read this book before."

That is a Fantastic story!

Duct tape is the most useful tool ever. I have rolls stashed everywhere.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is a Fantastic story!

Duct tape is the most useful tool ever. I have rolls stashed everywhere.

Bobby went on to be a Deputy Superintendent on Boston PD and the chief in a few cities. Toughest non Martial Artist I ever knew. But to illustrate what kind of person he was...
as a rookie patrolman pounding a beat on the midnight shift in Boston in the dead of winter, he heard a noise down an alley at three in the morning.

He went down to investigate. Found a new born baby, umbilical cord still attached, that was thrown in a trash barrel. He called for an ambulance but realized it might not make it there in time because the infant was turning blue. He put it under his shirt and ran ten blocks To the ER.

He told me it was the hardest run of his life because he couldn’t flat out sprint, afraid of hurting the infant. Said he had to kind of duck walk run not using his arms. Burst into the ER yelling for help.

The ER doc told him that if he had been five minutes longer the infant would have died.

Bobby and Katie adopted that baby boy, he was one of their five kids.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bobby went on to be a Deputy Superintendent on Boston PD and the chief in a few cities. Toughest non Martial Artist I ever knew. But to illustrate what kind of person he was...
as a rookie patrolman pounding a beat on the midnight shift in Boston in the dead of winter, he heard a noise down an alley at three in the morning.

He went down to investigate. Found a new born baby, umbilical cord still attached, that was thrown in a trash barrel. He called for an ambulance but realized it might not make it there in time because the infant was turning blue. He put it under his shirt and ran ten blocks To the ER.

He told me it was the hardest run of his life because he couldn’t flat out sprint, afraid of hurting the infant. Said he had to kind of duck walk run not using his arms. Burst into the ER yelling for help.

The ER doc told him that if he had been five minutes longer the infant would have died.

Crazy story... saved a baby ,and gave it a home? It sure takes a real special person to do something like that. Neat.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

As @donald1 said, it talks a heckova person the do that. Very good man. I wish I had met him.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm im sitting outside enjoying the sun and close to 60 degree weather.....but I have a meeting in about 10 min. Do i walk back to the office and go to the unnecessary meeting or sit here enjoying the sun and say oppps I forgot about the meeting.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmmm im sitting outside enjoying the sun and close to 60 degree weather.....but I have a meeting in about 10 min. Do i walk back to the office and go to the unnecessary meeting or sit here enjoying the sun and say oppps I forgot about the meeting.

Did you go to the meeting? Unnecessary work meetings are such a pain in the rear. But I went to them anyway. Most times, anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The work Vehicle
20191207_192452.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

OMG, what a great story - I love it!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am not crying. You are crying.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad day for me at work.

The last guy from our old unit retired today....41 years of L.E. and over 30 years working narcotics. I'm the last one left from our old unit.

He was one of my mentors when I transferred in....happy for him, but really sad seeing him leave.

Im interviewing applicants for his replacement Tuesday....whoever gets it has big shoes to fill

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad day for me at work.

The last guy from our old unit retired today....41 years of L.E. and over 30 years working narcotics. I'm the last one left from our old unit.

He was one of my mentors when I transferred in....happy for him, but really sad seeing him leave.

Im interviewing applicants for his replacement Tuesday....whoever gets it has big shoes to fill
That is tough!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sad day for me at work.

That's because you are one seriously old fart!

Been through that, too. As well as the "new guy shows up - who is the son of a guy I broke in years ago".

Just wait, though. You'll get the "you used to teach my grandmother" person coming in. You'll be touched....and deep down want to smack them. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Buka tomorrow we're going back into the city, and there's a good chance julianna will want to 'explore' in the evening/night again.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sad day for me at work.

You need to hurry up and retire too. Trust me it's SOOOO much better out here in the private sector lol
I hope he enjoys his retirement.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need to hurry up and retire too. Trust me it's SOOOO much better out here in the private sector lol
I hope he enjoys his retirement.

I still got a minimum of 6 more years.

I got a good group of young guys in the unit now to show the ropes to and hopefully they become as close as all us older guys (i was the youngerster of the group) were. That's what made us such a good unit...we all enjoyed working together and didn't care who got the credit.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 years ago tomorrow, I walked into the station for the first time as an employee rather than an applicant.

Yep, 20 years as a cop. Worked patrol, criminal street gangs, patrol supervisor... got training in crash reconstruction, mental case, certified as an instructor in multiple areas...

Not sure how long I'll stay. As long the job is fun, as long I've got good people to work with, as long as... I don't know.

20 years has flown by...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka tomorrow we're going back into the city, and there's a good chance julianna will want to 'explore' in the evening/night again.

Are you referring to the city where you have previously explored dark alleys?

Be careful, my brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.