Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I translate works by great author. Classics. Immortal masterpieces. Would you let Google Translate anywhere near an immortal masterpiece? That's like using Lincoln logs to try and replicate Taj Mahal.
It's more like letting a collie use Lincoln Logs to replicate the Taj Mahal. And just as entertaining.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I never use Google Translate for anything contextual or to do whole sentences - only for individual words.
Even on individual words, i put in a couple sentences in both languages using the word, to make sure its giving me the right translation (ie: the word moving could refer to physically getting up and walking somewhere, or moving into a new apartment). Ive had my fair share of mixups with that, and have learnt my lesson.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even on individual words, i put in a couple sentences in both languages using the word, to make sure its giving me the right translation (ie: the word moving could refer to physically getting up and walking somewhere, or moving into a new apartment). Ive had my fair share of mixups with that, and have learnt my lesson.
That's where it really helps being truly, fully bilingual. I don't need the sentence trick anymore. The bad part is - I can't explain how this works to other people who also work in more than one language but don't have the flawless linguistic switch working yet. When I translate, I have two Word windows - the one on top is in Russian, the one on the bottom is what I am typing in English. So, I am looking at the top window and reading the Russian text, and my fingers type the English translation in the bottom window. I have no idea what happens in the middle. It's a black box.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's where it really helps being truly, fully bilingual. I don't need the sentence trick anymore. The bad part is - I can't explain how this works to other people who also work in more than one language but don't have the flawless linguistic switch working yet. When I translate, I have two Word windows - the one on top is in Russian, the one on the bottom is what I am typing in English. So, I am looking at the top window and reading the Russian text, and my fingers type the English translation in the bottom window. I have no idea what happens in the middle. It's a black box.
Yup, my first language was spanish, technically. I am only fluent in english. I know spanish well enough to have a conversation with my spanish speaking family members, but there are times where I am reading or writing something and dont know the spanish word for what I want to write. Looking it up, sometimes that works. But the issue is, if i dont know the word, unless i see it in context, i cant be certain it actually means what a dictionary is telling me that it means.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I translate works by great author. Classics. Immortal masterpieces. Would you let Google Translate anywhere near an immortal masterpiece? That's like using Lincoln logs to try and replicate Taj Mahal.
I want to do this at some point, and see what comes out. Post a series of books with your translation on one side, and the google translation on the other. People would love that!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to do this at some point, and see what comes out. Post a series of books with your translation on one side, and the google translation on the other. People would love that!
OMG, we SO need good translators from Spanish! Most people I've met in the English-speaking world have only a passing acquaintance with Cervantes, no one had heard of Lope de Vega, which is a shame, because both were very profound and thought-provoking. And if someone could venture out into Spanish variants across the world? Holy cow - if someone could translate Pablo Neruda! And heck, while you are at it, get into Portuguese and do Camoens!

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
For a bit of fun, since we are on the subject of Google Translate...

Here is the original paragraph in Russian:

"Тяжелый стон, вырвавшийся как будто из стесненной сильным отчаяньем груди, его внезапно пробудил. Он открыл глаза и при свете огня, еще не погасшего в камине, увидел подле себя Дашу. Вид ее очень его удивил, но его еще более поразило ее одеяние. На ней было совершенно такое платье, как на портрете Прасковьи Андреевны; розовый букет был приколот к ее груди, и в руке она держала старинное опахало."

Here is the Google Translate version:

"A heavy moan, escaping as if from a tight, cramped chest, suddenly awakened him. He opened his eyes and, in the light of the fire that had not yet been extinguished in the fireplace, saw Dasha beside him. The sight of her surprised him very much, but his attire struck him even more. She was wearing a dress absolutely like the portrait of Praskovya Andreevna; a pink bouquet was pinned to her chest, and she held an old fan in her hand."

Here is my translation:

"A heavy groan bursting seemingly from a heart in a grip of desperation woke him up suddenly. He opened his eyes and in the light from the fire still burning in the fireplace saw Dasha next to him. He was very surprised by her presence and even more so – by her appearance. She wore exactly the same dress as in the portrait of Praskovia Andreyevna; a bundle of roses was pinned at her chest, and she held an antique fan in her hand."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OMG, we SO need good translators from Spanish! Most people I've met in the English-speaking world have only a passing acquaintance with Cervantes, no one had heard of Lope de Vega, which is a shame, because both were very profound and thought-provoking. And if someone could venture out into Spanish variants across the world? Holy cow - if someone could translate Pablo Neruda! And heck, while you are at it, get into Portuguese and do Camoens!
Everyone knows of don quixote, and seems oblivious that he ever wrote anything else, its a shame. I've definitely seen some of nerudas works in B&N, translated to english. No clue who that last guy is

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You just ain't translating if you ain't using Google Translate..... besides the Chinese already made the Taj Mahal..... with toothpicks

AP945562006549.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For a bit of fun, since we are on the subject of Google Translate...

Here is the original paragraph in Russian:

"Тяжелый стон, вырвавшийся как будто из стесненной сильным отчаяньем груди, его внезапно пробудил. Он открыл глаза и при свете огня, еще не погасшего в камине, увидел подле себя Дашу. Вид ее очень его удивил, но его еще более поразило ее одеяние. На ней было совершенно такое платье, как на портрете Прасковьи Андреевны; розовый букет был приколот к ее груди, и в руке она держала старинное опахало."

Here is the Google Translate version:

"A heavy moan, escaping as if from a tight, cramped chest, suddenly awakened him. He opened his eyes and, in the light of the fire that had not yet been extinguished in the fireplace, saw Dasha beside him. The sight of her surprised him very much, but his attire struck him even more. She was wearing a dress absolutely like the portrait of Praskovya Andreevna; a pink bouquet was pinned to her chest, and she held an old fan in her hand."

Here is my translation:

"A heavy groan bursting seemingly from a heart in a grip of desperation woke him up suddenly. He opened his eyes and in the light from the fire still burning in the fireplace saw Dasha next to him. He was very surprised by her presence and even more so – by her appearance. She wore exactly the same dress as in the portrait of Praskovia Andreyevna; a bundle of roses was pinned at her chest, and she held an antique fan in her hand."

Google translate can be fun

崩之為義山垮也,山之垮其勢必甚猛,而此拳之性似之,故名,須注意者,右肘終須里裹,與劈拳同,庶幾肘穴向上,微見下彎,則全肢不覺僵直矣,此中妙處久習自得(見第六章)足尖平直前射,右足竟可與左足根接觸,壯其勢也,同時身須直挺,頭上頂,切勿下垂,腿勢必微彎,以步過小。

In Google Translate it becomes

The collapse of the mountain is also Yishan, the mountain will be very strong, and the nature of this boxing is like this, so the name must be noted, the right elbow must be wrapped in the end, with the fist box, a few elbows up, micro see Bend, the whole limb does not feel stiff and straight, this wonderful place is long and self-satisfied (see Chapter 6). The toe is straight forward, the right foot can be in contact with the left foot, and the strength is also strong, while the body must be straight, the top of the head, Don't sag, your legs will bend slightly, and you will be too

What it actually is (From Brennan Translations)

The idea of “crashing” is of a mountain collapsing [as in a landslide or avalanche], a very fearsome dynamic which the personality of this technique resembles – hence the name. Points for attention:
Your right elbow must end up wrapped inward, same as in the chopping technique, so that the hollow of the elbow is almost facing upward. By manifesting a slight downward bend, all of your limbs will be kept from feeling stiff, a wonderful characteristic which is obtained through long practice. (See Chapter Six.)
The toes [of your front foot] aim straight forward. Your right foot may touch your left heel due to the vigor of the technique.
At the same time, your body must be erect. Your head is to be pressing upward and must not hang down. Your legs must be slightly bent. Use a shorter step than before

There are others that are hilarious when you translate Chinese to English using Google Translate.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone knows of don quixote, and seems oblivious that he ever wrote anything else, its a shame. I've definitely seen some of nerudas works in B&N, translated to english. No clue who that last guy is
Luís de Camões (or Camoens) was a very prominent Portuguese poet.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just ain't translating if you ain't using Google Translate..... besides the Chinese already made the Taj Mahal..... with toothpicks

AP945562006549.jpg
Yes. But not with Lincoln logs and not using a collie. Toothpicks allow for far more detail.

P. S. Why would I need Google Translate if my head works just fine for translation purposes?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Google translate can be fun

崩之為義山垮也,山之垮其勢必甚猛,而此拳之性似之,故名,須注意者,右肘終須里裹,與劈拳同,庶幾肘穴向上,微見下彎,則全肢不覺僵直矣,此中妙處久習自得(見第六章)足尖平直前射,右足竟可與左足根接觸,壯其勢也,同時身須直挺,頭上頂,切勿下垂,腿勢必微彎,以步過小。

In Google Translate it becomes

The collapse of the mountain is also Yishan, the mountain will be very strong, and the nature of this boxing is like this, so the name must be noted, the right elbow must be wrapped in the end, with the fist box, a few elbows up, micro see Bend, the whole limb does not feel stiff and straight, this wonderful place is long and self-satisfied (see Chapter 6). The toe is straight forward, the right foot can be in contact with the left foot, and the strength is also strong, while the body must be straight, the top of the head, Don't sag, your legs will bend slightly, and you will be too

What it actually is (From Brennan Translations)

The idea of “crashing” is of a mountain collapsing [as in a landslide or avalanche], a very fearsome dynamic which the personality of this technique resembles – hence the name. Points for attention:
Your right elbow must end up wrapped inward, same as in the chopping technique, so that the hollow of the elbow is almost facing upward. By manifesting a slight downward bend, all of your limbs will be kept from feeling stiff, a wonderful characteristic which is obtained through long practice. (See Chapter Six.)
The toes [of your front foot] aim straight forward. Your right foot may touch your left heel due to the vigor of the technique.
At the same time, your body must be erect. Your head is to be pressing upward and must not hang down. Your legs must be slightly bent. Use a shorter step than before

There are others that are hilarious when you translate Chinese to English using Google Translate.

What happens if the toe is straight but not in contact with the foot? Or what if the strength is also not strong? And of course you don't want to be walking around with saggy legs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions