Kung Fu Panda and the ATA

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The movie was great, the kids and I saw it today!

The ATA is capitalizing on this movie. At the theater they were there in all their colorful glory, one kid even had his XMA ninja suit on.

I guess they want to make more 5 and 6 yr old blackbelts for all of us to look up to. They are a major reason why blackbelts mean absolutely nothing anymore.

They have one form that goes something like "hickory dickery block, the backfist goes up top, the punch down low, the roundkick high, hickory dickory block." Oh brother.......

I'm all for kids having something they can do and be proud of,but why do we have to make a mockery of serious martial artists to do so?

I'm just venting. :snipe2:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would prefer kids to be doing 'Hckery Dickery Block' than sitting around and playing xbox.

Sure, it's not serious martial arts. Just like a kids riding around the park on a bike with training wheels and streamers on the handlbars isn't a serious tour de france.

Everyones got to start somewhere.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to mention this movie. Animated or not it could be a good boost for MA's everywhere of all styles.
Yes, it's a comedy... but then so was "They Call Me Bruce", "Rumble In The Bronx", "Kung Fu Hustle", Shaolin Soccer and so on.
Serious MA films tend to be very violent and "over the top" in many ways. Karate Kid was an excellent example of keeping the violent aspect of the art to a minimum. The old TV series Kung Fu did likewise but of course Caine had to get into at least ONE fight per episode.
Basically Hollywood needs good scripts/stories that can be positive on MA and still reflect what it's all really about.

OP
Brian S

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would prefer kids to be doing 'Hckery Dickery Block' than sitting around and playing xbox.

Sure, it's not serious martial arts. Just like a kids riding around the park on a bike with training wheels and streamers on the handlbars isn't a serious tour de france.

Everyones got to start somewhere.

That's not even a good comparison. Sure, they are doing something positive, but are 3rd degree 9yr olds the answer?

OP
Brian S

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to mention this movie. Animated or not it could be a good boost for MA's everywhere of all styles.
Yes, it's a comedy... but then so was "They Call Me Bruce", "Rumble In The Bronx", "Kung Fu Hustle", Shaolin Soccer and so on.
Serious MA films tend to be very violent and "over the top" in many ways. Karate Kid was an excellent example of keeping the violent aspect of the art to a minimum. The old TV series Kung Fu did likewise but of course Caine had to get into at least ONE fight per episode.
Basically Hollywood needs good scripts/stories that can be positive on MA and still reflect what it's all really about.

I take no issue with the movie whatsoever.

The ATA is a positive play martial art for soccer moms,but the line should be drawn somewhere.

BTW, ATA stands for American Tae Kwon Do Association so why do they call it ATA Karate?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not even a good comparison. Sure, they are doing something positive, but are 3rd degree 9yr olds the answer?

"3rd degree" is only a label. Why get so worked up about it? At least they are doing something active, martial arts related, and fun. As they mature, so will their approach to the martial arts.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"3rd degree" is only a label. Why get so worked up about it? At least they are doing something active, martial arts related, and fun. As they mature, so will their approach to the martial arts.

I agree. It is something positive and it is yet another means to spread martial arts and make them more mainstream. Sure, it is geared toward the kids and the soccer moms, but hey, more mainstream exposure to the martial arts is never a bad thing, and those who are really serious will go deeper and find the truth anyways.

OP
Brian S

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I see your points. The ATA does good things for the kids.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

i have to agree.. in the style I train in you may NOT test for shodan ho till you are 18 years of age or older. I agree with this. there are no " jr. black belts" either!

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
The ATA used to have that same rule, in fact it was 21 for 3rd.
Basically I think it's a Pandora's box issue, they already let it out and can't go back and change it to either kids ranks or find another solution.

Thing is, I don't judge my belt vs someone elses, do you?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thing is, I don't judge my belt vs someone elses, do you?

Rank 'inflation' (and de-valuation) is a problem that needs to be addressed across many arts but that was such a good point from Mr. Leverich I wanted to emphasise it.

Apparent skill level is what is important.

Some examples I can draw on from my own experiences are:

i) that in my empty-hand days I was under-ranked because I stopped taking gradings after black sash but continued diligent training. If a newly minted black belt was to compare himself to me he would get a false measure (you'd hope :D).

ii) In my present training I am the same rank as the other 'senior' student of our sensei. Despite having trained for about the same amount of time (me a bit less) and having been instructed by the same sensei, we have different strengths and weaknesses. To simply compare nidan to nidan would not tell an accurate story.

Rank is a rough guide to how you've progressed on the road from your starting point, not an absolute 'skill meter'. That's why a sensei will always want to see someone new, with such-and-such a rank, go through their paces so he can judge for himself where they sit on his scale.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand the points about not taking it too seriously. The problem is, with schools doing this, neither will anyone else. Remember, perception is everything. You see a bunch of kids lined up in goofy costumes doing stuff like this, and people will get the impression that Taekwondo is just a kid's activity.
In all fairness, I could see schools from our organization doing demos for movies like this as well, but they would make it an actual Taekwondo demo. They would not dress the kids up in goofy costumes and do stupid rhymes (I hope not anyway!).
I imagine it is called ATA Karate purely as a marketing ploy.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember, perception is everything.

You are very nearly right. It's actually "Perception is nothing".

Who cares what other people think about TKD, or whatever your chosen art may be? Who cares what opinions they form about your skill level?

If a person thinks "All black belts must be equal, and this nine year old child is a black belt, so all black belts must fight like nine year old children" then that person is wrong. Thats their problem, not ours, and if you don't feel like eplaining to them why they are wrong, then don't advertise your training to people.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen the Kung Fu Panda commercial.. funny but the ATA commercials make me laugh far more.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept, perception is everything. When you see someone walk down the street wearing ripped jeans, a dirty t-shirt, and obviously hasn't bathed in three days, you automatically assume they are an uneducated slob even if they are a college-educated genius with a 180 IQ. Why? Because perception is everything.
How Taekwondo (and other arts) presents itself goes a long way in determining how people perceive it. If people see martial arts students as 10 year old black belts wearing ridiculous ninja uniforms, they are going to make assumptions, regardless of whether or not those assumptions are based in reality.
Why should I care what people think? Because those people are the next generation of MA students who determine if my art lives or dies. If they are not impressed by what they see, they go elsewhere and the art dies.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept, perception is everything. When you see someone walk down the street wearing ripped jeans, a dirty t-shirt, and obviously hasn't bathed in three days, you automatically assume they are an uneducated slob even if they are a college-educated genius with a 180 IQ. Why? Because perception is everything.
How Taekwondo (and other arts) presents itself goes a long way in determining how people perceive it. If people see martial arts students as 10 year old black belts wearing ridiculous ninja uniforms, they are going to make assumptions, regardless of whether or not those assumptions are based in reality.
Why should I care what people think? Because those people are the next generation of MA students who determine if my art lives or dies. If they are not impressed by what they see, they go elsewhere and the art dies.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a very well phrased position, sir, with quite a bit of valdity to it :tup:.

However, I do think that perhaps we, as martial artists, don't have a good feel for how dismissive or uninterested in our arts the general public is.

Perhaps that's even more reason for presenting a respectible and 'adult' front but I'm not convinced it would make much difference.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you will always have people who are motivated in martial arts by the wrong reasons (money, fame, opposite sex etc.) and have no problems turning the arts into a carnival show to achieve those ends.
Do I care about how perceive me as a Taekwondo stylist? Absolutely I do. I want people to respect what I practice and how. That's hard to do if I'm presenting my art in the ways described above.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But your perception of this person will have absolutely no bearing on how intelligent or well educated they are.

And a persons perception of how effective my martial arts are, has absolutely no bearing on how effective they actually are.

Perception only means something if you rank yourself through the eyes of others.

Latest Discussions