Kung Fu Kata...

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was told that in Tracy Kenpo, they use Kung Fu kata from 5 Animals, Hung Gar, and Northern Shaolin. Is that true? What kata's are chinese in Tracy Kenpo?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, Tracys has adopted some material from Chinese sources into our system. I have not learned that material and cannot comment further, but it is part of our system.

OP
L

LegLockGuy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Tracys has adopted some material from Chinese sources into our system. I have not learned that material and cannot comment further, but it is part of our system.

Do you know the specific chinese sources? Also why can you not comment further? (just curious)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you know the specific chinese sources? Also why can you not comment further? (just curious)

I don't know the specific sources, other than we have a version of Tiger and Crane which comes from Hung Gar. Other forms that are listed on Tracys website look like they might be Shaolin in origin. I don't know specifically who taught the Tracys this material. I also have learned very little of this side of our art, so don't know enough about it to speak intelligently about it. I'd be guessing, and I don't feel that's appropriate, so I'll just fess up and admit that I don't know the history and details of this.

You could probably go onto Ted Sumner's website and send him an email. He is my teacher, and a very senior instructor in Tracys system and knows a lot of the history. He's at sanjosekenpo.com. You might get further answers from him. I just haven't asked about it yet since I have not been focusing my time on that material yet.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
James Wing Woo is responsible for:
Book Set (aka BunGi, aka Panther Set)
5 section punching set
18 section punching set
Tam Tui
2 man Tam Tui
Tai Chi Chuan
Tiger and Crane

Wai Wong is responsible for:
Wong's Family Hand Set

Doi Wai is responsible for:
several weapons forms

And I think that either Wai Wong or Doi Wai is responsible for Little Tiger.

Jim

Reaction score
James Wing Woo is responsible for:
Book Set (aka BunGi, aka Panther Set)
5 section punching set
18 section punching set
Tam Tui
2 man Tam Tui
Tai Chi Chuan
Tiger and Crane

Wai Wong is responsible for:
Wong's Family Hand Set

Doi Wai is responsible for:
several weapons forms

And I think that either Wai Wong or Doi Wai is responsible for Little Tiger.

Jim

Thank you Jim,
I know the forms but I did not know where Al got them. Thank you for helping me learn something new today.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Latest Discussions