Kug Maky Ung Ryu Ninjitsu

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power training is only one aspect of martial arts - anyone who has trained with a qualified instructor who has been there knows this.

In a broad spectrum art there are so many little pieces that make it work, it's important for it ALL to work. It's been a while since I've trained and I don't train ninjutsu (won't lie about it either ;) ), but I would advise you to find your problem areas and work them into what's right, then practice that.

NEVER sacrifice quality for speed or power - even if you have to go super-slo-mo to perform it right, gradually increasing speed. NEVER be so egotistical to think you can't be getting something TOTALLY wrong, even after years of training.

Some skills should be worked every day for maintenance, just as in body conditioning. Ukemi is really important to practice a lot, kicking, joint locks only get smooth and unexpected with relaxation in technique which can only come with LOTS of practice. Flow comes with confidence in working a lot.

So ... keep a journal and make special note of the things you find lacking if you have to stop training for a short while (injury, vacation, whatever) and make a point of working them often.

Let us know how you do.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That 100 pound woman you speak of will have alot more confidence in her abilities to defend herself with her techniques and skill if she is in supreme physical shape and has mentally endured.

If you want to be in perfect physical condition you should go to a gym. If you want to learn how to survive an attack on your life, go to a dojo.

Even if someone where in top physical shape, such a condition only lasts so long. People grow old, and masters of martial arts continue to be awesome and are able to defend themselves from younger, stronger foes because of their skills not their muscles or level of endurance.

Most fights last about 10 to 30 seconds. Endurance doesn't really come into play in such a short time. Being in top physical fitness is not necessary to win a fight. If is was, I know a particular 100 pound woman from my dojo who would have had to go to the hospital.

Being physically fit is by no means a disadvantage. Obviously any improvement to health is good, but those who rely on their muscles for victory are in for a rude awakening if they are ever attacked by bigger, angrier men.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Learning to deal with criticism can be a great educator as well.

So in your estimate, how have I failed to deal with the criticism I have received? Most likely what I have done is failed to be awestruck by the implied hierarchy of knowledge on the board and thereby failed to submit to the desires of said experts. This is really what troubles you.

Ninjitsu ,in days past, utilized a "whatever works use it" approach. Unconvention was the norm; it was their strength. My belief is that they never limited their learning by such rigorous adherence to dogma and lineage.

Never have I outright attacked anyone on this board, ridiculed anyone or used the juvenile tactics that have been directed against me.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So in your estimate, how have I failed to deal with the criticism I have received? Most likely what I have done is failed to be awestruck by the implied hierarchy of knowledge on the board and thereby failed to submit to the desires of said experts. This is really what amuses you.
Well, comments on your YouTube video have a funny way of disappearing, and you've pretty much ignored facts here that have been pointed out to you over and over. Ignoring (or deleting) criticism is not dealing with it. Oh, and I'm not troubled. Fixed that for you.

Ninjitsu ,in days past, utilized a "whatever works use it" approach.
Again, there is no such thing as ninjitsu, but feel free to use that spelling if you don't mind being lumped in with such stellar martial artists as Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, and Ron Duncan.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Again, there is no such thing as ninjitsu, but feel free to use that spelling if you don't mind being lumped in with such stellar martial artists as Ashida Kim, Frank Dux, and Ron Duncan.
I had brought up the spelling thing sometime ago, and I was told that the Kanji didnt matter? Came from Shidoshi Greg Dilley, who has sense passed on, but now I am hearing it does matter? Who do you believe?

Learning to deal with criticism can be a great educator as well.
He did appear to be respectful with his post and didnt make mention of his Kug Maky Ung Ninjitsu. If that is what he focuses on, I respect his answer.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had brought up the spelling thing sometime ago, and I was told that the Kanji didnt matter? Came from Shidoshi Greg Dilley, who has sense passed on, but now I am hearing it does matter? Who do you believe?
The two spellings are pronounced differently, and therefore represent different kanji. This page has a pretty good explanation (scroll all the way down to the bottom). On a side note, someone pointed this out to Ashida Kim years ago, and he revised his story, saying that he used the jitsu spelling because his was the true style. :rolleyes:

He did appear to be respectful with his post and didnt make mention of his Kug Maky Ung Ninjitsu. If that is what he focuses on, I respect his answer.
But, he has no background in a Japanese ninjutsu style, and therefore his comments have no place here. This is why his other posts were moved.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjitsu ,in days past, utilized a "whatever works use it" approach. Unconvention was the norm; it was their strength. My belief is that they never limited their learning by such rigorous adherence to dogma and lineage.

Citation, please.

Never have I outright attacked anyone on this board, ridiculed anyone or used the juvenile tactics that have been directed against me.

Mmmm ... actually, some students of verifiable and authentic lineage have asked you some very specific questions, pointed you to some facts you refuse to acknowledge and you continue to try to talk about this stuff and ignore the questions. Some of those questions, by the way, were mine and I'm still waiting for answers. It seems you leave threads once nailed down as to your avoidance. Pretty words don't make it better for you, either. We all have dictionaries and you'll find that few here are stupid.

Some advice - if you feel attacked, please bring it to the attention of the admin team; send an email to [email protected] from your registration email address and the highest level staff members here (including the board owner) will carefully review your complaint. Please give specific examples and those who have not been involved in conversation with you will do their very best to be absolutely fair in the matter.

Back on topic ... how do you feel about practicing ukemi every day? Important? In what kind of conditions?

Thanks.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My belief is that they never limited their learning by such rigorous adherence to dogma and lineage.

FWIW, Your belief doesn't jive with verifiable historical sources. Numerous studies and documents exist that very clearly demonstrate that "Ninja" were in almost always part of larger samurai clans and held to strict alliegence to the orders of their clan leaders and their structured roles therein.

So, believe what you want... just remember it a) doesn't make it true, and b) is a waste of breath to tell the people here who actually have any kind of ACTUAL education on the subject what you think it SHOULD be, because they know better.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being as big as a gorilla does not mean you will win a fight. I know lots of guys who are big as hell and can not fight a lick! Especially younger fellas, they seem to add the muscle just to intimidate folks. Not all, just most I have dealt with.

"learn to fight better, not longer"

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The two spellings are pronounced differently, and therefore represent different kanji.
I understand they are pronounced differently, however, they do seem to throw both spellings under the same definition in the dictionary. I found this explination as well that claims jitsu is "grandfathered in".
http://www.alljujitsu.com/jujutsu.html

On the flipside, I couldnt find anything suggesting seperate kanji as you stated.

But, he has no background in a Japanese ninjutsu style, and therefore his comments have no place here. This is why his other posts were moved.
I was under the assumption anyone could post regardless of experience as long as the post was respectful and on topic? That being said, I can understand moving his threads, but cannot understand luring him back into those same discussions if they had no place here.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And while I'm here, yes, everyone is certainly welcome to post in any area, regardless of experience, in fact, that is one of the bes aspects of this particular forum... however, this thread is Ninjutsu-specific. If it was in the General Martial Art section, then an open discussion of different arts and practitioners approaches would be wonderful. But it's not, so I don't think it's unreasonable that if the question posed is "Areas of Special Importance In Your Training (In Ninjutsu as per the forum section)" that the answers be based on training areas for ninjutsu training by people training in ninjutsu. If someone not training in ninjutsu wanted to see what practitioners do focus on, great... but they would not be qualified to say what their focus in ninjutsu was. Make sense?
Yes, we are crystal clear on the first part of my question. However, that still doesnt answer the second part. Why lure/tempt him back into those same discussions if his thoughts/posts are not wanted in this forum?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, we are crystal clear on the first part of my question. However, that still doesnt answer the second part. Why lure/tempt him back into those same discussions if his thoughts/posts are not wanted in this forum?

Are you suggesting we censor opinion and bury the questioning of those who want to forward interest in their art? One should not lay bait who does not wish to catch.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are you suggesting we censor opinion and bury the questioning of those who want to forward interest in their art?
You wont get the answers you want from him, but by all means ask away. I am sure he is enjoying the attention one way or another. Even if its negetive, at the end of the day it's still attention.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it might serve folks looking for his style better when they see these pages indexed in Google, reading people asking straightforward questions without being rude and his lack of answers and withdrawing.

:asian:

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
please show me a straightforward question, not asked rudely, that I did not answer and I'll answer it for ya.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
please show me a straightforward question, not asked rudely, that I did not answer and I'll answer it for ya.

Since Established historical fact and record demonstrate fairly conclusivley that Ninjutsu was a specific set of skills derived from specific family or clan teachings, why do you insist on believing that anything mishmashed together is ninjItsu, and can you cite reliable sources used in context to back up the claim that you are correct?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it might serve folks looking for his style better when they see these pages indexed in Google, reading people asking straightforward questions without being rude and his lack of answers and withdrawing.

Not to drag up the past (and other threads...), but Emilio has stated that he has no intention of teaching his "system" to the public, so I don't think we need worry about folks looking for it.

And, Emilio, look to pretty much any thread you have started, or been involved in, and you will find many questions asked politely by many people you have yet to begin to answer... instead, you seem intent on claiming your "beliefs" are more in line with ninjutsu than the verifiable, authenticated, learned, researched and studied histories as they have been presented to you by those who have actually learned them. So how about you take your own advice, and extend a little respect and courtesy to those you (superficially, at least) sought to gain knowledge from.

Chief amongst those questions not answered yet (from my side of things) is simple: What, realistically and honestly, do you believe makes your system in any way even partially related to Ninjutsu, and, if you have no answer for that, why do you persist in using a term you have no reason or qualification to use? And please don't say that you "feel", or "believe" that your methods are in line with the Shinobi warriors of old unless you can back it up with anything that gives your beliefs weight (oh, and using the term just to get your kids interested, but then making a triathalon an early grading requirement doesn't fly either. To be honest, I would say you're making the system for your own ego and childhood/childish fantasies; if I'm wrong, then I apologise, but somehow I doubt it).

You have been (believe it or not) treated with a great deal more respect and patience than you would have been at pretty much any other site. It has even gone so far as to have some members give you enough benefit of the doubt as to say "who knows, you might be the next Bruce Lee...", and yet you still refused to actually give any details about why your system is any different, let alone worth mentioning. I have to say I am not so generous. After all, Bruce was open minded, he thoroughly researched areas and arts he was interested in, he sought out those who could improve his knowledge, and he wasn't so ego-driven that he could not let go of his ideas when presented with evidence.

OP
emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would argue that my philosophy is directly in line with the roots of the ninja tradition as stated in Stephen Hayes's work "Ninjitsu, Art of the Invisible Warrior". He states; "The essence of the tradition stemmed from the training METHODS (emphasis mine) of Japan's shugenja and yamabushi mountain warrior ascetics, who subjected themselves to the harrowing rigors of harsh wilderness living in order to realize and achieve the strength of the very mountains in which they dwelled. In the early part of the ninth century, the shugendo METHODS of cultivating power through the EXPERIENCE OF TRIAL were expanded to include the mikkyo secret doctrines of enlightenment , then recently introduced to Japan from their far off Himalayan sources."

As you can see I emphasized twice that the origin of ninjitsu is intimately linked to methodology and not technique and lineage. My methodologies are very close to the true beginnings of the art, since they involve subjecting one's self to TRIAL and learning your own mind during the experience. Furthermore, a close link to nature and immersion in it will be a part of my system. One requirement for my children to advance consists of progressively further walks through the woods at night, while alone, albeit closely monitored.

My system will emphasize pragmatism and efficiency, while training the body, mind and spirit to a high standard of warrior ethos.

This is why I choose to call it ninjitsu, because as I have shown you above, ninjitsu is more about methods and a state of mind.

Note also, for all the Japanophiles, most of the spiritual/philosophical underpinnings to your art are not of Japanese origin, therefore if Japanese origin is your claim to real , true, holy grail, authentic lineage then you might as well drop all but the physical aspects of your art. Essentially you are just aikijiujitsuists philosophically and spiritually based in himalayan doctrines.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'll point to and quote the questions I've asked and if you think they are rude, please follow the links and report them to the staff for review.

shesulsa said:
"Loosely translates?" From what? Childhood gibberish?? I mean I'm glad you were deeply inspired by the martial arts as a child but then who wasn't? You were trying to create something that was supposed to emphasize mastery over one's mind?

And you say they worked best for you ... in what way? Have you had occasion to test your style? How?

Hey, maybe we're all wrong and you're some natural-born martial arts genius ... which means you could have the greatest gift to American martial arts in about a decade. So ... why not share it with us? How about posting a video?

shesulsa said:

shesulsa said:

shesulsa said:
Do tell us how "real ninjas" would have "operated." I'm dying to know as you have not published any record of any authentic ninjutsu training. I really, *really* hope I'm wrong here.

shesulsa said:
Just two kicks? Psychosomatic kicks? Tell me ... on your stomp kick, what is the position of your support leg and your foot in relation to the opponent, what kind of torque are you using on your hips and how does it differ for low targets as opposed to mid-level and high targets?

shesulsa said:
emiliozapata said:

Citation, please.

how do you feel about practicing ukemi every day? Important? In what kind of conditions?

I will add that your reference to Hayes will not help you. I urge you to research Hayes and his history and current status with the Bujinkan.

Latest Discussions