Kovar's Karate Studios

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One hundred thirty nine dollars a month?!?! Good Lawd thats a lot of money. I'm living in a little Kenpo Mecca myself. Not one charges over One hundred. There is a JkD guy here in town named Paul whom charge four hundred a month. You should here the spell he weaves. God speed in your decsision.

C

CoolKempoDude

this place wants your money NOT to teach. Perhaps, you should go elsewhere.

i can't believe people can ripp other off like that.

i bet you 1 thing. the guy in charge of this place DID NOT pay a lot to learn from somebody else..

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

I live in Sacramento. I learned under Bruce Juchnik when I was a kid and no matter what anyone says about his art, he's legit. He's put in the years and what he has is worth learning. He was already high level when he met Mitose, and his training with him, just put together some things in his mind that hadn't been put together before. His Karate is different than the Tracy's and it is different than EPAK. It is also officially recognized by a few cultural associations in Japan as a legitimate traditional Japanese Cultural Art. It turned out to not be my cup of tea, but I am nonetheless always impressed by his skill and I have nothing but good things to say about him.

As for Kovar's, they learned under Juchnik for a bit, but they are a taekwondo school and for a while they claimed to be trained by a top level Korean master. I came across some people that trained at Kovar's when I was a bouncer and they were always people that needed rescuing. They teach martial discipline (respect, sportsmanship, character) and they are very good at that, but that's where it ends. They teach taekwondo-ish, sport style karate, under the name of Kenpo.

A few years ago Kovar's had a deal where they would guarantee a black belt for $1,000. Any program that guarantees a black belt is suspect to me. Any teachers that do that are suspect as well.

If you're looking for EPAK, try Trevor Haines or Reid's Karate or Moore's Karate. They're all in the phone book.

If you do choose to go to Kovar's and train, they will try to lock you into a year long contract at least. A former training partner I had gave it a go there before coming to train in the Wing Chun school I was learning at. From what I recollect of his rants, I don't believe that you can train month to month, and you can't train every day without shelling out a lot of cash.

My main tiff with these guys comes from my bouncing days. A few memorable ones had arrogant attitudes and lost their tempers easily. They had students with 1st and 2nd degree black belts that couldn't handle themselves in a self-defense situation. The problem was not so much with the techniques but with the level of expertise in the techniques. Some would say they lacked seasoning and refinement. They knew what to do, but hadn't been trained well enough to use them correctly and effectively. The end result was a stupid overconfidence that caused them to get themselves stomped in a niteclub.

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk about this.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks!
Way back in the 1980's Dave Kovar offered some videos on the Kenpo that he taught. It was an offshoot of the tracy system with some different names here and there...
He and his brother would later go on to study different martial arts [TKD most notably] and really deal with the major Martial Arts Business groups [EFC, most notably] and gleamed all the info they could and became one of the "shining examples" of a successful martial arts studio. They went through some organizational changes with different financial groups and are now one of the main Studios associated with Century's "MAIA" business organization [SEE Black Belt's ad with his pic in December issue,page 21] He offers the going rete offered by most of the EFC/UP/MAIA ilk which means 137.00 a month for instruction and a long term contract.
I've seen his video tapes on keeping a kids program motivated and he is one of the most successful schools in the country. It is indeed commercial, So is any studio that really wants to stay open! It's amazing how people want instruction but don't want to pay good money for it. Ed Parker,Al tracy,and Fred Villari alll franchised their studios and their arts and it grew immensely! 100 schools in a years may seem unheard of ,but all the above men strived for those goals too!
Check out the class and specifically ask about the arts they teach and make sure you have an intro equal to your level of proficency,rather than an obligatory "intro" class. Because the instructor has to motivate you to want to learn.
As an instructor who has had to struggle at times with owning a cmartial arts studio, I have suffered with the horrors of not being "commercial" enough and going through the "poverty" complex. I no longer do that. I am worked every penny you pay for and if it's a "pretty penny" then you get what you pay for! Remember, most times, to get the best,you pay the most, and if you charge too little, people do not appreciate it and are suspect of your worth ["why is it so cheap? He must not be that good!"]
Good luck with the appointment!
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of Mr. Parkers Blackbelts by the last name of Silva started a great business organization called United proffessionals, The nice thing is that the style of Kenpo or Karate you teach does not matter. Its your art so teach it any way you like; however, United professionals will show you how to do what the Kovars are doing(they may even be part of United proffessionals) They will teach you solid business practices that really work. I was involved in one of the United professional schools until very recently. At least check out these methods before you damn them. One thing is for sure, your chances of success will increase. Contracts and thank you notes might mean the difference between flourishing or having to close down.
Sean

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sean[touch of death],
I have known Greg Silva for approximately 20 years. I first met him through the "East-West Karate" chain that he started in Connencticut by him approaching Mr. Parker to start teching seminars at his locations. I've also known him through the IKKA seminars he attended on the east coast over the years. The last time I actually saw Greg wand John Geyston [of progressive Kenpo] was at the Untied Professionals home office in Coral Springs,Florida, when I interviewed him for my TV show, "Martial Arts Today" TV, based out of Massachusetts.
He is a good instructor and does a hybrid of Tracy Kenpo and TKD and offers several martial arts through his Elite Martial Arts Training Center [now renamed "East-West Karate" once again]
His "United Professionals" is a business orientation/funding-finance/billing company that is one of the top ones in the country. He was one of EFC's "golden Boys" for Nick Cokinos before breaking off and forming his own company.
BTW,If you ever heard of anyone doing the "Universal" forms, those were Greg's creation!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
From my understanding he was a pretty high ranking blackbelt when he hooked up with Mr.Mitose. His kenpo came from the Tracy lineage. He is also supposed to be an accomplished caligrahpher? Hope this info helps out?

Salute in Christ,
Donald :asian:

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone who has helped out with info. on this thread. As of right now.....I don't think it is even worth it for me to check out Kovar's. I just got a note from another person I am considering studying with (he is a friend of my instructor's who teaches Kenpo- Darryl Liner) who informed me that the Kenpo I would find at Kovar's is VERY different from what I am used to. In addition, he said they teach a conglomeration of other things and don't even introduce the Kenpo aspect of the system until you are around a brown belt. This is sounding more and more like something I don't want to do.......so chances are, I will check out a local Filipino stick fighting place I just learned about here and also Mr. Liner's studio and decide from between those two. Both are smaller schools- which is what I am used to and the commercial thing still isn't that appealing to me. Plus, both the studios I will be checking into have reasonable prices.....always a good thing........and what I really need right now.

:asian: :karate:

R

rmcrobertson

I can personally tell you that Mr. Liner's one of the nicest people I've met in kenpo...and as for sparring....oh, lord. Prepare to run screaming....not that, in my experience with the man, it'll help. He's kinda quick.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPOJOE
Dear Sean[touch of death],
I have known Greg Silva for approximately 20 years. I first met him through the "East-West Karate" chain that he started in Connencticut by him approaching Mr. Parker to start teching seminars at his locations. I've also known him through the IKKA seminars he attended on the east coast over the years. The last time I actually saw Greg wand John Geyston [of progressive Kenpo] was at the Untied Professionals home office in Coral Springs,Florida, when I interviewed him for my TV show, "Martial Arts Today" TV, based out of Massachusetts.
He is a good instructor and does a hybrid of Tracy Kenpo and TKD and offers several martial arts through his Elite Martial Arts Training Center [now renamed "East-West Karate" once again]
His "United Professionals" is a business orientation/funding-finance/billing company that is one of the top ones in the country. He was one of EFC's "golden Boys" for Nick Cokinos before breaking off and forming his own company.
BTW,If you ever heard of anyone doing the "Universal" forms, those were Greg's creation!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE
The instructor I was training under, had his own curriculum to draw from; so, I wouldn't know of any "universal Forms" that Greg Silva taught. I will say that the school I was involved with is the largest and so far most sucsessfull school in Spokane. Weve run umpteen Karate schools into the ground. I have chosen to train with a more mom and pop type school that teaches a more traditional style of Ed Parkers Kenpo than the "Silva" school, but If I were to ever open up my own school somewhere, United proffessionals is the first place I would call.
Sean

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Juchnik was my very first martial arts instructor way back in 1972. Though I didn't know any better at the time, I now know he was teaching a modified Tracy's Kenpo curriculum. Being starry-eyed at the time I would tell you that Bruce Juchnik was awesome in his ability. Knowing what I know now after 30+ years in the arts I can tell you that Bruce Juchnik is truly awesome in his ability. You look back after many years and can appreciate what you had. I just wish I hadn't been such an irresponsible teenager and paid my monthly tuition like I was supposed to.

I'm not familiar with the Kovars; just wanted to put in my .02 about Bruce. If you get the opportunity to train with him, don't pass it up.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I read was 100 schools in "10" years, not one.

I don't know about their kenpo back ground, I was curious about that also. Someone told me they thought their kenpo back ground was maybe from the Tracey system. But I don't know.

I do know for a fact that one of the Kovars trains several hours every day and he is supposed to be very good. He brings in top instructors that he trains with privately in different styles. That could be why they looks like reality stuff now.

Anyway, do not doubt their ability or what they teach just because they are going to open a chain. Can they keep the quality of their instruction up with a chain of schools? Time will tell. But I believe they do teach a practical system, for todays world, that can work.

You get out of any art, what you put into it.

Teej
When one door closes, another door opens.:)

T

teamcalisc

teej said:
What I read was 100 schools in "10" years, not one.

I don't know about their kenpo back ground, I was curious about that also. Someone told me they thought their kenpo back ground was maybe from the Tracey system. But I don't know.

I do know for a fact that one of the Kovars trains several hours every day and he is supposed to be very good. He brings in top instructors that he trains with privately in different styles. That could be why they looks like reality stuff now.

Anyway, do not doubt their ability or what they teach just because they are going to open a chain. Can they keep the quality of their instruction up with a chain of schools? Time will tell. But I believe they do teach a practical system, for todays world, that can work.

You get out of any art, what you put into it.

Teej
When one door closes, another door opens.:)
As a Kovar's student, I have to say, what you guys think they are like isn't true. Yes, it's a lot of money to train at Kovar's, but it's worth every cent. I've been training there for 6 amazing years. The instructors are friendly and great at what they do. They know their ciriculum well so that they can teach us to do our best. Kovar's Kenpo isn't a form of maritail arts. The place is called Kovar's because the owner's last name is Kovar. There is no Kovar's from of martial arts. I'm not sure about the backround of the martial arts they teach. Every buisness wants you to pay. Just because the payments are high, doesn't mean they care more about your money than what they teach. Dave Kovar does personally train the instructors. He's a 7th degree black belt. I'm not sure who his instructor is but I can ask since I know both Kovar's. My dad has done buisness tades with them before. My parents own a ticket buisness where they buy, sell, and trade tickets to concerts, sports, etc. and they have traded tickets for karate lessons before with the Kovar's. As for the Kovar's demo team, it's the best in the area, maybe Northern California. The training to be on the team is long and hard. I'm currently training to be on the team along with a few others. The team instructor, Renshi Cali, is strict but nice. He knows our limits and pushes us till we reach it. As for the members of the demo team, their limits are higher than those training to be on the team because their conditioning is harder and longer. The demo team has won competition after competiton. They recently won 1st in the 10th Annual Clash of the Warriors competition in Lake Tahoe for, I believe, the fourth year in a row. If you have any questions about Kovar's, feel free to post in this board or just e-mail me at [email protected]. I'll be happy to answer your questions and if I don't know the answer, I can ask someone who does such as an instructor or Dave Kovar himself.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think everyone here is interested in what curriculum is taught at your school. Mayhap if you posted a little of what you are taught we'd be more informed of what you all do there :)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Dave Kovar is a good Martial Artist. He may be a better Businessman.

He was one of the highest Black Belts in Kosho Shorei Ryu Kenpo, taught by Hanshi Bruce Juchnik.

He also has a certificate to teach what GGM J. Mitose taught. Not to many of them out there can claim that lineage, some don't want to.

It has been stated in an earlier post about his skills, I will add, Hanshi is an excellent Martial Artist.

Regards, Gary

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://kovars.cmasdirect.com/
that is their website
it says nothing about their style or SKSKI affiliation......
taken from the site:
"Internationaly recognized, Shihan Dave Kovar has his Black Belt in eight different styles, allowing him to design a Black Belt system that delivers to our students the best of multiple styles, making you, our student, the best of breed."

shawn

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hanshi Juchnik very good, impressive

Kovar karate, simply said go somewhere else
Demo team? Let me guess XMA
Todd

T

teamcalisc

TheEdge883 said:
I think everyone here is interested in what curriculum is taught at your school. Mayhap if you posted a little of what you are taught we'd be more informed of what you all do there :)
Well right now, we're working on sais- I think that's how it's spelled. They are short metal weapons kinda shaped like big forks. I'm not sure on the form since I tested for my blackbelt when they started this cycle so I wasn't focusing on what they were doing and I got to train with an instructor just on what I needed to know for my test. We work in cycles. At the end of the cycle, we're tested on what we learned and if we pass, blackbelts get a chevron "check" (after earning 3 chevron checks, you earn a chevron, after earning so many chevrons, you can test for your next belt), lower belts get a "tip" (after so many tips, you can test). There is a belt testing after every cycle for those that can test but for black belts, you must go through a 3 month prep class (it's a once-a-week, 2 hour class) before you can test (the test is about 2 1/2-3 hours long, the ceremony is later that day and is 30 mins long). There is a blackbelt test every 3 months. There is a variety of things we learn at Kovar's. These range from forms (Justice, basic blocking set, targeting set, etc.), self-defence (seven swords, arm bar counters, evading the club, etc.), weapons (sticks, sais, bows, daggers, etc.), & combonations (beginer combo 1-2, and intermediate combo 1-6). We also do jui jitsui (spelling?), and kick boxing in the adult class. Our demo team focuses on dinamic kicking, domino effects, weapons, etc. There are no classes this week due to the holidays but classes start up again next week and I'd be happy to ask my instructors any questions about the up-coming curiculum. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll tell you everything that I know. If you would like to see our demo team in action, we have a performance coming up on Friday, January 21. I'm not sure about the time but I know it takes place somewhere between the time of 5-6. It will take place at our Carmichael location. You can call the Carmichael location (the number is on the site- kovars.com) and ask to speak to Mr. Cali and he will know the time it will start. I don't know because I'll be there from 5-6 anyways because even though I'm only training to be on the team, I'll be performing. Since his son is in my training class, I'm sure Dave Kovar will be there and you can ask to speak to him about any questions you have. If not, the other instructors would love to help you out.

Latest Discussions