Kovar's Karate Studios

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While driving home today, I noticed that there is a new studio going in right down the street from my house. It is Kovar's Karate. Does anyone know anything about this chain? There are quite a few down here in the Sacramento area and that's what makes me nervous- as I am used to small, independent schools. Their ad in the phone book says they teach Kenpo (and a host of other things too).........I am wondering if it is EPAK or some other off-shoot........I plan to give them a call and see what they say but was wondering if anyone knows of them and/or has had any experience with this line of schools?

Thanks!

:asian: :karate:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
While driving home today, I noticed that there is a new studio going in right down the street from my house. It is Kovar's Karate. Does anyone know anything about this chain? There are quite a few down here in the Sacramento area and that's what makes me nervous- as I am used to small, independent schools. Their ad in the phone book says they teach Kenpo (and a host of other things too).........I am wondering if it is EPAK or some other off-shoot........I plan to give them a call and see what they say but was wondering if anyone knows of them and/or has had any experience with this line of schools?

Thanks!

Well you better watch out, I don't know the name but I'll let you in on what is going to happen. They will lock students by the score to (at least) year long contracts. They sound as if the intend to not only open that school but one further down the road as well. They can be competed with on there own level or you can advertise the "no" contract angle. I'm just telling you how that sort of thing works in this town.
Sean

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your info. The main thing making me wonder about this place right now is that they just merged with another partner and plan to open 100 schools in a year or something.
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2003/09/15/story4.html?page=4

The other thing is I have been looking and cannot find who the founders learned under.......who their instructors were........and yet they are supposed to have a very popular school with lots of students and a demo team that I guess is very good............

With that many schools, they have to have a lot of students in the higher ranks that are willing to teach.........I just don't know how good the quality would be...........is this what they call "Mc Dojos?" Coming from a small town.........I have no idea about these types of chains..............help!!

P

progressivetactics

their name is thrown around alot in MAIA. They specialize in school managment, instructor training, motivational teaching, etc. It is a real test if what they market, actually works. I would have some interest in their school, as MAIA makes them sound like they are viable competitor for neighborhood karate programs.

Keep us posted.

bb

S

Shiatsu

Kovar kenpo has been in Budo international, it doesn't look that bad to me. It is along the lines of reality based training.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Thanks for your info. The main thing making me wonder about this place right now is that they just merged with another partner and plan to open 100 schools in a year or something.

100 in ONE year? How would that be possible? I would think that the growth rate of a good solid school system would be a bit slower than that...

- Ceicei

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone so far.....I left a message with the contact person for the new studio tonight asking some questions.......will keep you posted as to what is said.

I'm not sure how they are planning to open that many schools- they have the money.....but I don't know about how they can get enough students to support them all- especially if they are planning on putting the studios fairly close together.......I guess we shall see.........

Thanks again!

S

Shiatsu

They were the guys in SWAT uniforms. I wouldn't really think that they would be doing the commercial school thing.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Their have been some write ups on them in "Martial Arts Success" magazine, the trade journal for the "Martial Arts Industry Association". Their Kenpo training comes from Bruce Jucknic of Sei Kosho Shorei Kai. Right now their into chain school expansion.

M

M F

Kovar kenpo has been in Budo international, it doesn't look that bad to me. It is along the lines of reality based training.

I believe that was Kokkar Kenpo (Or something similar), rather than Kovar Kenpo.

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay.........so can anyone confirm that Kovar and not Kokkar is the "reality-based" training? And can anyone help me out with what reality-based training means?

Also, I am only familiar with EPAK- it is what I have studied for my whole journey.........if Kovar's Kenpo comes from Bruce Jucknic.......is that in line with EPAK or would it look totally different to me?

Thanks all!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kosho Ryu Kenpo, as taught to Bruce Juchnic when he visited James Mitose at Folson Prison. How much he learned during visiting hours has been the subject of many interesting discussions.

C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by John Bishop
Kosho Ryu Kenpo, as taught to Bruce Juchnic when he visited James Mitose at Folson Prison. How much he learned during visiting hours has been the subject of many interesting discussions.

didn't bruce juchnic ONLY learn the SPIRITUAL aspect of kosho ryu????

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have not met the Kovars. but I do get there magazine, martial arts success. It seems to me that what they are masters of is seperating people from their money

Yikes!! That doesn't sound too good!!

Well, the guy who is going to be the instructor of the new studio here called me back today and we set up a meeting for the middle of November. I am going into this with a lot of skepticism and basically, trying not to get my hopes up. Firstly, the guy said they charge $139/month......which is WAY out of my league. If it looks good to me though, he said that maybe (as I suggested) I could trade some of my help at the studio for a decreased fee. The thing is.......how decreased? It's gonna have to be A LOT decreased for me!! I can't afford much.

From what I gathered from him, Kovar's karate has a Kenpo base and that base, he said, is most closely related to Tracy's Kenpo. It sounds like they teach a conglomeration of several different arts which makes me wonder..........when you are a certain rank....what do you say your style is......."I am a ______ belt in _______????

I figured I would at least meet with the guy and check it all out as I am dying to work-out more often. As I've said in other posts, since I live so far away from my "home school" now, I can only make it up there once per month and it is driving me crazy not to be able to work out like I used to.

We shall see what, if anything, comes of this......I will keep you posted!!

Latest Discussions