Wu Shen Pai Kenpo in Vegas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

getgoin

"He holds a Ph.D. in Public Policy and Politics and is working on a Ph.D. in Political Science."

That says it all, it's all politics.

OP
K

KenpoNovice

"He holds a Ph.D. in Public Policy and Politics and is working on a Ph.D. in Political Science."

Actually, he doesn't hold a Ph'd. For years he claimed he had a Ph'd from NAU in Arizona. In turns out they kicked him out of the school when he had been a doctoral candidate for years and wouldn't do any work.

The funny thing is, being a doctoral candidate is impressive and something to be proud of. But when you force everyone to call you "Dr.", advetise as a Ph'd, and brag about your title over and over when you actually never received your diploma, that's sad.

Well actually, I'm mistaken. He does have a ph'd from some type of correspondance course from a school in the U.K. For $500, any of us can have ph'd's as well. Seriously, you pay $500 and you get the degree and title in a couple of weeks.

This info. I received from several of his students, meeting them outside his school in a social setting.

KenpoNovice

azkenpo1

White Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I know you're gonna hate this but..... "I told ya"......... :lol:

Mr C.,

Didn't he receive his First from Lois Tomson? His website said he was promoted by Mr. Parker? Perhaps you could clarify this for all.

Thanks,

Darin

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
azkenpo1 said:
Mr C.,
Didn't he receive his First from Lois Tomson? His website said he was promoted by Mr. Parker? Perhaps you could clarify this for all.
Thanks, Darin
AZK1......... No he didn't ever receive a 1st Degree Certificate from anyone. He was allowed to wear a 1st Degree Black Belt (when he studied with me, until he left to study with Bruce & Lois Tomson). Once with Bruce & Lois he eventually tested in front of Mr. Parker for his 2nd which was a provisional as I understand from Bruce but a few months later (for whatever reason) Bruce personally went in and took it back {so he was never promoted personally by Mr. Parker except to 2nd which was taken back by his instructors}. This caused quite a commotion! He then moved on to the AKKI group which he gained a 3rd Degree from Paul Mills then on to the Speakman group under John Sepulveda who promoted him to 4th then off again to Tatums group where he was raised to 5th after only a few weeks. Now a little over a year later he has gained a 6th from somewhere and now sports a 7th Degree after a couple of months.

I don't know about anyone else, but I got to get to Vegas to drink the water or somethin'!

:idunno:

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just happened to find this old post by Mr. Jones on the UKF forum. I find it very ironic that Mr. Jones posted this message about another so called, self promoted "master" and now it seems he is following in his footsteps.

Mr. Farnsworth was promoted to 1st Degree and 2nd Degree Black Belt by Mr. Cliff McKinney. Later when Mr. M retired, Mr. Farnsworth was inducted into the IKKA as a 2nd Degree Black by Senior Grand Master Edmund K. Parker. This occurred in 1986. He was subsequently promoted by SGM Parker to 3rd Degree Black Belt (according to the IKKA newsletter) in 1989. He was subsequently stripped of that rank by SGM Parker and expelled from the IKKA. This occurred in 1990 prior to SGM Parker's death. He then moved to Master Larry Tatum and received his 4th Degree Black Belt in the LTKKA. This is, as far as I know, his last earned rank in Kenpo. Within weeks, he had tested for a 4th in Tracy's kenpo. He received a 5th Degree BB from John Pellegrini's Combat Hapkido Assoc. His 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th degrees were self promotions all occuring within the span of 4 years. His 10th was awarded by the Society of Soke and subsequently revoked. His white dragon system is not held in wide repute and he is not considered legit by the Kenpo community as a whole.
I disagree strongly with those who say that credentials do not matter. They do matter as much as a law degree, a medical degree, or a bachelor's degree. Would anyone REALLY consider going to a lawyer that did not possess his law degree, a doctor who never went to medical school long enough to attain the credential, or send their child to grade school where the teachers have not obtained their bachelor's degree in education. That said, the degree is only as good as the school and association giving it out. It is also true that you are only as good as your last degree. (in the academic world)
In the world of Martial Arts, you can judge your instructor by the standards of his character, his integrity, and the integrity of those he promotes. Of course, don't forget his skills. Look at his classes. Look at his students. Judge their skill. Is there truly a skill differential between a Yellow Belt and a Green Belt? If not, why not? The more widely established your instructor is, the more widely established the ranks you earn will be. GO to open tournaments to see what others look like. Ask sincere questions. Look to your teacher's teachers. Ask Mr. Farnsworth if Master Tatum and Master Pellegrini support his teachings! if not, why not? I for one, am unimpressed by the White Dragon system. I have been the recipient of more than one video tape on the system thrown on my desk as the result of disgruntled and unhappy students who have had reason to question the integrity and ability behind their ranks. I find that Mr. F is not without talent. It is a pity that he has chosen other than legitimate means to pursue it! Just one man's opinion!

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
AZK1......... No he didn't ever receive a 1st Degree Certificate from anyone. He was allowed to wear a 1st Degree Black Belt (when he studied with me, until he left to study with Bruce & Lois Tomson). Once with Bruce & Lois he eventually tested in front of Mr. Parker for his 2nd which was a provisional as I understand from Bruce but a few months later (for whatever reason) Bruce personally went in and took it back {so he was never promoted personally by Mr. Parker except to 2nd which was taken back by his instructors}. This caused quite a commotion! He then moved on to the AKKI group which he gained a 3rd Degree from Paul Mills then on to the Speakman group under John Sepulveda who promoted him to 4th then off again to Tatums group where he was raised to 5th after only a few weeks. Now a little over a year later he has gained a 6th from somewhere and now sports a 7th Degree after a couple of months.

I don't know about anyone else, but I got to get to Vegas to drink the water or somethin'!

I never understood how joining a new organization entitles you to an automatic promotion. I would think it should be the other way around, not gaining any rank or even have your rank recognized until you prove to be a respectable and trustworthy member. That's how it is in the UKF anyway.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:

No Dennis, he was not promoted to 5th within a few weeks of joining the LTKKA, it was over a year.

DarK LorD

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TChase said:
I just happened to find this old post by Mr. Jones on the UKF forum. I find it very ironic that Mr. Jones posted this message about another so called, self promoted "master" and now it seems he is following in his footsteps.
Thank you for making that comparison, I made the same LOL.

DarK LorD

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
No Dennis, he was not promoted to 5th within a few weeks of joining the LTKKA, it was over a year.
DarK LorD
Well, ok, if you say so.... I'd rather agree (right or wrong then go back and rehash more of this guy, lol) so I stand corrected.

:rolleyes:

OP
G

getgoin

getgoin said:
Richard Black might disagree.
I just noticed I got some negative points for saying that, this is what the person has to say.

"You have to be the most ill informed argumentative bastard I have ever seen. Your comments on just about everything are nothing but negative. Therefore you have earned some negative points....Congrats!"

Let me start by saying that I don't post on everything, if I did I would have a heck of alot more post than 60. Secondly I'm not negative, I have an opinion like everyone here. It must not be inline with your opinion, thats why I'm negative.

As far as being ill informed I would disagree there too. I lived in Las Vegas for 28 years, I just moved to WA a couple of months ago. I did Kenpo and other arts there for 15 years in Las Vegas. I have been to every school in the valley to watch classes and talk to the instructors, generally shoping them. So now that I have gotten some negative points for this I might as well share a story.

The story goes like this: One day a Kenpo instructor decided to flyer another schools parking lot. Well the female instructor of the competeing school knew a student of the kenpo instructor and asked if the student would talk to the kenpo instructor and ask him not to flyer her parking lot anymore. Well the kenpo instructor got enraged at this. The kenpo instructor went to the womans school and confronted her in front of her class in a very hostile manner about speaking to his students and him being able to do what he likes. As the kenpo instructor left, feeling proud and boastful, the female instructor made a call to the owner of the school, to inform him of what just transpired in his school. The owner of the school made a bee line for the kenpo instructor with a couple of his black belts in tow. The school owner arrived at the kenpo instructors school and preceeded to pound the kenpo instructor into the ground.

I always loved that story.

OP
K

kenpowonderer

I must admit that I recognized the story posted about the competing schools, the flyering of the parking lot, and the fight that unfolded. It had been told to me numerous times over my training to make me sure of what not to do. But schools will compete, that is a given in almost any sport to my knowledge.

I have spent the past 16 years in American Kenpo, and value it's lessons greatly. Another variation has been made.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Getgoins version of that story is complete BS. No one got pounded, as a matter of fact, the guys who who went to the school ended up running away as soon they saw the knife that got pulled when the instructor saw that he was outnumbered. Getgoin also forgot to mention that the school instructor was there alone with his wife and kids and when the attack ocurred, with one of the invaders cornering the wife and kids into the office while the others went for the instructor, real tough guys. Though the part about the flyers and such are true, and maybe it shouldnt have happened, but the rest of his version is crap.

OP
K

KenpoNovice

Masterfinger is correct. I heard the story from various USSD guys as well as a Herman guy. There was no beat down. A group of black belts went to his school and it went down the way Masterfinger said it did.

My question: If the instructor for USSD was such a bad guy, why didn't he go by himself or arrange a challenge fight? 10-15 schools with mediocre guys jump on one guy? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Would they have done that to a MMA/Cage fighting/BJJ academy in town? I'm sure I can arrange 15 guys there to accomodate USSD.

Terry

kenpomike890

White Belt
Reaction score
I also want to clarify that although this was posted under the Wu Shen Pai Kenpo thread, this did not occur at East West Kenpo in las Vegas. This was between 2 other schools in the valley.

kenpomike890

White Belt
Reaction score
Rick's post is false, as I was on the mat and did not witness anything that he claims.

OP
N

Nick Ellis

I am going to make this Brutally Clear on the Events that took place the night Rick English visited our school. I actually find it funny on the course of events he said that took place since I was witnessed to the entire event. I personally was on the mats with this man. and was asked by Professor Jones to Uke for him. At no time did Professor Jones attempt to recruit Mr English. In fact it was Mr English who intiatiated that conversation. it seemed he was so impressed with us that he wanted to come here periodically for lessons. Professor told him if he wanted to train with us that He would have to have Mike Picks Permission.
and if he wanted to join the association he must severe ties with his current Instructor. that is clear protocol in any traditional system. I would also like to dispute Mr English's comments on how techniques are done. when Mr Engish displayed Delayed sword Fiveswords and sword and Hammer. according to Our Standards. the techniques were poorly executed. Yellow Belts working on orange in our school are expected to have a better grasp of the cirriculm than what was displayed by Mr English. Professor Jones did not Say that the IKKA is moving the ciriculum incorrectly he stated that is not the way Grand Master Ed Parker moved the techniques. Professor and another Black Belt in our school then proceeded to demonstrate correctly the proper sequencing of techniques the concepts and principles of motion that were outlined by Mr Parker. I was personally hit twice by 5 swords with extention sword and hammer and delayed sword. if I recall the words that came out of Mr English mouth were WOW!
to final rebuttal of his posting the reason why he left so quickly is not because he was discouraged or pressured by us. but because his significant other. was pressuring him to leave.
Professor Showed Hospitality by letting him come and work out with us and he had the audacity to post these accusations on this forum.. and to say that he does nothing more than hop from instructor to instructor. is innacurate He might do well to consult the training records of many other instructors in American Kenpo moving from instructor to instructor is not unusual in this system it is actually quite normal.

Nick Ellis
Proud Student and Member of the IKKS
of East West Kenpo Karate Studios
Las Vegas NV.

OP
N

Nick Ellis

KenpoNovice said:

Actually, he doesn't hold a Ph'd. For years he claimed he had a Ph'd from NAU in Arizona. In turns out they kicked him out of the school when he had been a doctoral candidate for years and wouldn't do any work.

The funny thing is, being a doctoral candidate is impressive and something to be proud of. But when you force everyone to call you "Dr.", advetise as a Ph'd, and brag about your title over and over when you actually never received your diploma, that's sad.

Well actually, I'm mistaken. He does have a ph'd from some type of correspondance course from a school in the U.K. For $500, any of us can have ph'd's as well. Seriously, you pay $500 and you get the degree and title in a couple of weeks.

This info. I received from several of his students, meeting them outside his school in a social setting.

KenpoNovice
Re: Wu Shen Pai Kenpo in Vegas?

That is utterly false! In fact, I have two Bachelor of Arts Degrees (History / International Relations) Both are awarded Summa Cum Laude – With Highest Honors. I also graduted from the Northern Arizona University Honors Program. So “With Honors” appears on my diploma. Second, I have a Master’s Degree in Political science from Northern Arizona University. (By the way – With Distinction) To date, I have not been expelled, removed or otherwise made ineligible for advanced work at my alma mater.

I do not nor have I ever forced anyone to call me Doctor. In fact, I do somewhat loath the title. That said, I have worked more years than you can imagine to EARN it. I have received a Doctoral Diploma. It is through a University in the UK. Why there? Well because I fancied going to Academics sometime and in that world it is a bad thing to finish ALL degrees in one place. Soooooo, I moved on..I remain interested in Political science although My UK Degree in PS is Public Policy. I am still doing postdoctoral work leading to another degree from my alma mater. Oh, I may also be working toward an Ed.D. Degree soon. Does that meet with you approval? If you want to consult Political Science and justification for actions at its very best, you can observe the slander and character assassination that is allowed on this Forum. Oh, you are participating in it. Sorry, I forgot. By the way, before you libel someone, sight unseen…at least have the good graces to meet them and ask them for the facts.

See my denial above.

If you got that from any student at my school, then they were obviously working off a twisted agenda of their own, probably from being expelled.

Respectuflly

Professor Robert L. Jones, Ph.D.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Without reflecting specifically upon the discussion here, a couple of suggestions for those who are relative novices to the martial arts and to academia.

1. Generally speaking, the folks who are honest and upfront about their stake in an issue are the most trustworthy. That is, it's probably best to go with the folks who tell you honestly what their affiliations are, and what their investment is, before they go on to make a lot of claims. That way, you can track their biases.

2. In academics, you want to watch out for the folks who are always putting, "PhD," on their name tags. Academics all do it to some extent--but my personal experience has been that the folks who prefer to be called something like, "Ed," or, "Barbara," or by their professional title alone for formal occasions, are the very best as well as the ones with the most-impressive credentials and achievements.

3. In martial arts, beware of the folks with belts in 93 different arts. It simply takes too long to, "master," (whatever that means) even one art--and when they tell you that they've figured out the short cuts, you really want to be prepared to duck. There aren't any. In fact, they should be talking about YOUR training, not theirs.

4. Mostly, well-trained academics--like well-trained martial artists--should show certain moves without having to think about it. For example, a solid academic should be writing solidly in terms of basics, just as a solid martial artist should exhibit solid stances, punches, blocks, kicks, etc.

5. There're a lot of politics in martial arts. (Gosh, really?) The "modern," arts have them; the traditional ones do too...check out why the Shaolin Monastery got burned down twice, or the feud between jiu-jitsu and judo in Japan. As a relative novice, you won't be able to sort through them--and it's not a good sign that you're asked to. After all, shouldn't you be training?

6. In martial arts as in academia, excessive rituals and excessive, "discipline," are warning signs. What constitutes, 'excessive?' Well, bowing up to the mat's probably good; not walking on the mat in shoes is probably good; saluting is probably good--kowtowing is probably not. The formalism in martial arts protects its students, that's for sure--but equally surely, this isn't 17th-century Japan and we're not samurai. Go with your gut about it; if you have to consider it at all (again, you should be training, not worrying about this stuff overmuch), it's probably a bad sign. But try to steer between opposing mistakes: one one extreme, the American nonsense about, "I'm an American and I do modern arts and I ain't bowing to nobody and anyway I read Bruce Lee on the tired mess of martial arts and I read Bullshido.com and they're right;" on the other extreme, the, "I saw an episode of 'Kung Fu,' and I make my students wait in the rain clutching a bowl of rice," losers.

7. A good teacher in the martial arts should--with rare exceptions--exhibit: a) an easily-demonstrable competence; b) a lot of patience/respect when it comes to students; c) a clear history; d) a sense of humor about the essential silliness of the arts. They should NOT make claims that are patently ridiculous (I'll train you in six months, I'll teach the Secret Ninja Death Touch, only I learned these secrets...). They should not suddenly have jumped way up in rank. And excessive, harped-upon secrecy is bad.

8. Breakups in the arts are as common as divorces in ALL the arts. They may or may not mean anything about the competence and character of the people involved. As with academia, you should--in the event that you even have to deal with any of this nonsense--probably trust a) your gut, b) the people who are the most open about the different sides of the breakup.

9. Modesty Is Good. Probably, you're not being taught by the greatest martial artist in the world. Probably, you're not being taught by the Only Living Disciple of {enter name, preferably Asian, here}, or the World Heavyweight Champion. You know what? Who cares. Are you learning? Are you having a weird good time? Are you sweating, losing weight, getting into good shape? is your confidence growing? Are you starting to deal with fundamental issues about who you are and what your life is? Are you paying a reasonable amount? Is your inner alarm staying quiet? Are you getting the normal lumps and bruises, or are you getting hurt all the time?

10. Go by your gut--how does the place you train feel? Are the other students happy and sweating a lot? Is there a lot of swaggering? Do you respect the senior students? Do you trust them?

Maybe above all--screw rank. It's just little pieces of cloth, with a pretty short history in the arts. Martial arts are supposed to teach you self-defense and physical/emotional control. They're supposed to help you grow up, as well as learn how to be kinder to people.

And they're supposed to show you how to open up your heart.

The other stuff? it's hilarious, when it's not really annoying or threatening.

OP
K

KenpoNovice

Professor Grandmaster Supreme Being Founder of the Style Family Head Hanshi Soke Dr. Ph'd Robert Jones,

"My UK Degree in PS is Public Policy."
OK, what university did you receive your degree from in the U.K.?

Where did you find the time to study abroad while you've been running your full-time school the last eight or nine years?

"I also graduted from the Northern Arizona University Honors Program. So “With Honors” appears on my diploma."
Did the IKKS/Porter give you your 7th-degree with honors?

"Oh, I may also be working toward an Ed.D. Degree soon."
Will that be before you "earn" your 10th-degree or after?

"If you got that from any student at my school, then they were obviously working off a twisted agenda of their own, probably from being expelled."
Yeah, it couldn't be you with the twisted agenda, could it?

Bowing to the Hobbit,
Kenpo Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.