Sitting with great men

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tuesday night Tom Bleecker invited me to stop by his place to visit with Steve Muhammad, Donnie Williams and Chuck Sullivan before they sat down to dinner. Having met Mr. Muhammad years ago only once, I can't say that I know him very well and I had never met Donnie Williams before, so I was enthralled to be given the opportunity.

Every time I get a chance to visit with Mr. Sullivan it always turns out as time well spent, so once again, great to see Mr. Sullivan. Not withstanding Mr. Muhammad and Mr. Williams being as approachable as they were, they both also have great senses of humor. While Tom Bleecker was up and around getting things ready for dinner, something occurred to me.

During all the talking, joking and listening to and with Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Muhammad and Mr. Williams, a moment had arrived where these men had made me felt as if we were all of similar age, experience and intelligence. To their high credit, these very skilled, experienced and accomplished seniors of mine were simply being kind men who were sincerely interested in making everyone in the conversation feel just as welcomed and appreciated as everyone else. At times each of these men would offer up a rich pearl of wisdom to the conversation and I would be jettison back to the reality that I was not amongst just regular men, but great men. The humility that Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Muhammad and Mr. Williams practiced with me was nothing short of powerful humanity.

Had you met any of these men on the street, you would never know how accomplished they all are...as they would individually be too focused on making sure you knew how accomplished you were.

Tom Bleecker, my friend, what a wonderful bit of time you shared with me Tuesday night. Thank you.

Sincerely,

WI, SI
UKS

M

MisterMike

That's excellent! That's what it is all about. I've felt the same way and I'm happy you had such a great experience.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is how it should be. By the way, congrats on your 4th (I noticed the "SI" appended to your signature on KenpoNet.)

Take care you KenpoMecca guy,

-Michael

OP
W

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
That is how it should be.
Originally posted by MisterMike
That's excellent! That's what it is all about. I've felt the same way
Absolutely concur with the both of you.

congrats on your 4th (I noticed the "SI" appended to your signature on KenpoNet.
Thanks M

Take care you KenpoMecca guy,
LOL,

Yours,
WI, SI
UKS

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol
Had you met any of these men on the street, you would never know how accomplished they all are...as they would individually be too focused on making sure you knew how accomplished you were.

That is something that all instructors should live up to. I've had a few experiences like that. I've had the opportunity to train with several great men in both military and civilian channels, and they spent a great deal of their time encouraging me to excel and helping me develop as a warrior as well as a human being.

What a great experience. Thanks for sharing it. It is something that you will treasure all of you life.

Tim Kashino

Latest Discussions