Koryo instruction video

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hello I am looking for a good instructional video for Koryo. I would like to have would that is recorded from the backside so i do not have to do it in reverse of what they are ding it in the video. if you know of one could you please provide a link thanks

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Try going to the Kukkiwon website of searching Koryo on youtube.
ive searched koryo on youtube and i cant find anyone thaat has recorded it from the back but i will try that website

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty pointless learning something without a real instructor

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This video shows front and back.

That said, I agree with others that you can't learn patterns/forms from a video. They're solely useful for helping memorize the sequence, with live instruction being where you learn to do it CORRECTLY.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This video shows front and back.

That said, I agree with others that you can't learn patterns/forms from a video. They're solely useful for helping memorize the sequence, with live instruction being where you learn to do it CORRECTLY.
Thanks for the link, I also completely agree with needing an instructor. I wanted the video so I can work on memorizing it.

OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
also how do i change my belt level in this forum, i cant figure it out

Last edited:
OP
F

falcon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
and if you cant change it how do you get it higher then, its not that i really care what it says im just curios cause i cant figure it out

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
and if you cant change it how do you get it higher then, its not that i really care what it says im just curios cause i cant figure it out

It's not a reflection of where you are as a martial artist, it's just a reflection of how long and active you've been on the forum. I've been doing combat sports and martial arts since 1995, but I'm an "orange belt" because I'm pretty new to this forum.

Don't worry about it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
so why do some peoples say grand master and others orange belt.

It's a ranking for the art of post-fu-do.

The more you post, the higher your rank.

Just like MA rankings, a title is no indication of quality (just check my posts ;))

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are a forum addict like I am, then you get to black belt real quick!

I find there are two parts to the form: learning the form, and memorizing the form. The video won't help with learning it, but is about the best tool for memorizing it. Especially for a visual learner.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are a forum addict like I am, then you get to black belt real quick!

I find there are two parts to the form: learning the form, and memorizing the form. The video won't help with learning it, but is about the best tool for memorizing it. Especially for a visual learner.
Absolutely. Nothing wrong with using a video as a reference. Just be aware that not every organization and even every school within some organizations do things the exact same way.

I was taught tsuki-no kata a few months ago. I used a Kyokushin video on YouTube as a reference to help me remember a few steps here and there when I was practicing at home. My teacher taught me it, and after a few weeks I still wasn’t at the point where I wanted to comfortably practice it at home. I would either skip a step, punch with the wrong hand, forget the next move, etc. Nothing major, but just here and there. I pulled up the video as a reference and went through the kata a bunch of times. Had I not had that option, the only place I could’ve practiced it was at the dojo.

Moral of the story - videos of kata and other standardized stuff are for reference, not for a learning tool.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently learning something from a video :D

While I still hold that video can't be used to learn an art, it can be used in some circumstances.

In my case, it's for a pattern. I can't get anyone to teach me, because it's no longer taught (having been removed from the syllabus nearly 60 years ago).

So, all I have to go off is the original written instructions in Korean, a couple of translations that differ slightly (so I'm using those and my own interpretative translation of the original), and a small handful of videos (that also have inconsistencies).

While the majority of the moves are still used, there are a few where the description doesn't match techniques commonly used today...

All I can do is work with what little there is. Thing is, it's not learning it all from scratch, which is where video would fail imo.

Latest Discussions