Original Koryo

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a magazine article from April 1972 with step by step instructions and pictures for old Koryo from GM Kim Soo. It's a pdf file but I have no way of sharing it here unless someone can tell me how?

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I learned the new version of Koryo and a few of the Taeguk poomsae when I was training at a KKW style club in college and was interested to learn there had been an earlier version of Koryo. The lady who performs in the video in question is very good, IMO. I wonder what accounts for the technical differences?

Pax,

Chris
I wonder where the differences come from as well, but it seems that is just the way things are in the martial arts. There is always variation, especially in forms. In addition, and especially since the form is no longer practiced, the Kukkiwon is no longer teaching it or making corrections/publishing the proper way to execute the form. Without their supervision, people will perform the form as they wish, with no proper guidance or references from the Kukkiwon.

Luckily, Grandmaster Richard Chun, whom my lineage stems from, continues to pass the poomsae along to students of our organization, and along with Master Doug Cook, one of his senior students, recently published a book detailing the correct way of performing the poomsae. Hopefully now that it is on paper and readily accessible, the form will not be lost to history and more Taekwondo practitioners will continue to pass the form along.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a magazine article from April 1972 with step by step instructions and pictures for old Koryo from GM Kim Soo. It's a pdf file but I have no way of sharing it here unless someone can tell me how?

Just click "UPLOAD A FILE" when replying to a post on here, you can upload PDFs there.

If it's over the size requirement, message me and I'll give you my email address - I will happily host it on one of my websites.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just click "UPLOAD A FILE" when replying to a post on here, you can upload PDFs there.

If it's over the size requirement, message me and I'll give you my email address - I will happily host it on one of my websites.
Thanks. Trying it. [emoji4]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421659717715.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 369

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Welcome. It's relatively simple by comparison to the current Koryo, but it has some lovely practical sequences from an application perspective.

Latest Discussions