Knuckle vs Skull...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You may not hurt you hand punching someone but a word of warning, if the police are called because there's a fight, they won't know the rights and wrongs immediately and will check your hands for marks/redness etc. any sign of fighting. You may find yourself arrested and/or having to explain your actions.
In the U.S. I would be more concern about smartphone video and youtube. If I fight in public I need to assume that someone is recording it. There have been some fights in the police didn't know about until they saw it on youtube. Once they see it, they may come after the people who are involved depending on how old the footage is. Some people will actually video the fight for the purpose of giving it to the police.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why punch someone in the face? Its quite likley you will hit them in the nose.
This statement is totally lost on me. I'm not disagreeing or agreeing. Just pointing out that for some people the focus is to do just that. A bleeding noses causes all sorts of difficulties for the person who is bleeding. My school has a saying. "Strike the nose and make your enemy drown in his own blood." Because of this line of thought, the nose is one of the places I will target.

Hitting someone in the body is just as dangerous because of the elbows. I can hit the forehead with a soft punch and be fine, but that same soft punch striking the elbow could result in a broken hand. The problem with the elbows is that they move and it doesn't take much for them to cause damage even when you aren't trying to use them to strike.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the U.S. I would be more concern about smartphone video and youtube. If I fight in public I need to assume that someone is recording it. There have been some fights in the police didn't know about until they saw it on youtube. Once they see it, they may come after the people who are involved depending on how old the footage is. Some people will actually video the fight for the purpose of giving it to the police.

We have a fair bit of CCTV around, most pubs, clubs, garages and will put it inside and out for security. It's invaluable but if you are up to no good it's not your friend lol.

Rayrob

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have a fair bit of CCTV around, most pubs, clubs, garages and will put it inside and out for security. It's invaluable but if you are up to no good it's not your friend lol.
I am a private hire driver in London and CCTV saved my bacon. I was attacked by a passenger who I refused to carry due to the fact that he had no money. As he exited the car he spun around and dived back into the car head first and tried to punch me in the head. I blocked his punch and with his left hand he grabbed the hood of my sweater and pulled it over my forehead blocking my vision. With my left hand I gripped his right wrist and punched hard at his face, or as hard as I could from a seated position while wearing a seat belt. He unfortunately ducked and my fist hit the top of his forehead. I felt the bone behind my second knuckle break but the guy was going absolutely beserk. I had no real option other than to keep hitting him in the face until he was forced from the car. Now he dived back in feet first kicking at my head I blocked/deflected his kick and my Sat Nav exited via the window and the interior mirror went through the screen. I forced him from the car by punching him in the groin but he again dived back in head first. Fortunately I had a Mag-lite in the door pocket and beat him over the head until he was forced out of the car. He ran around the car to continue the attack from the other side. I kicked him hard to the groin which seemed to have no effect. A protracted fight ensued where as I blocked his punches I simultaneously either hit him with my left or smashed him over the head with the torch. He eventually tried to wrestle me to the ground and as he closed I head butted him twice to the eye socket. This was the only time he showed any sign of pain. You would not believe the state he was in. At this point he ran off.

The Security Guards at the hospital came out of their office and told me that they had the entire episode on CCTV. A bit of assistance wouldn't have come amiss as they never even rang the police. I did and I must say that they were marvelous and after looking at the CCTV footage assured me that they would report that my actions were not excessive. The guy was captured at another hospital and imprisoned for attacking me. As a potscript: he jumped bail and his next victim wasn't as lucky, he received a blow to the head which caused him to fall backwards and hit his head on the floor causing him severe brain damage.

I did learn several things:

1) CCTV Isn't always your enemy. The guy tried to make out that I was the aggressor.

2) Drugs can make a person almost impervious to pain. The guy was full of a cocktail of drugs including Coke and Ketamin.

3) Spirit can see you through a bad situation.

4) Don't expect help, you are on your own.

5) Mag lights are good but not indestructible, lol.

6) Martial arts work and can save your life.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I witnessed one guy punch another guy in the forehead with his fist. The guy who got punched was knocked out cold whist the puncher seemed to suffer no ill effects.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Injury to the person executing the punch to the top of the skull.

well your half right... I am six foot(about). In my taekwondo class there was a man there who told me of the following experience: He was walking out the door of a room, when a man in the next room grabbed him by the hair (he had long hair) and went to punch him in the face, punching from over his head at a downward angle. Instinctively, he lowered his head and tensed his neck, so that the mans punch struck the top of his skull. The guy that told me the story said that the mans hand hardly looked human after that, while himself he hardly felt a thing.

Well, don't be that guy and try to pull someone's hair and punch them in the face for no reason, lol. But if you do have to hit downwards onto someone's head, well, I think you'd be better off picking a different target and/or using a different strike. For example, if your opponent is already bent over, a knee strike to the face seems like a better choice than punching them in the skull.

Rayrob

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I witnessed one guy punch another guy in the forehead with his fist. The guy who got punched was knocked out cold whist the puncher seemed to suffer no ill effects.
I would never deliberately punch someone on the hardest most resilient part of the head. It took over a year of physiotherapy to get my hand back to working reasonably well.

Bearing in mind that I gave away: the element of surprise, twenty years in age and the pain numbing effect of the drugs he had consumed then I think I came out of the encounter pretty well with only the damage to my hand and a few bruises to show for a concerted and sustained attack. The police officer told me the guy was in hospital for four days and then charged. When I found out what happened to the guy in my link it made my blood run cold as if things had gone the other way it could so easily have been me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In MA, the general rule is to use your

- hard fist to hit on your opponent's soft area.
- soft palm to hit on his hard area.

IMO, the best target to hit on the head area are the

- back of the head, and
- nose.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there was some sort of serious issue -- like it identified a previously unidentified victim or gang involvement -- the police won't generally go after a fight that showed up on the web. There's plenty of other stuff for cops to worry about rather than trying to identify venue, victim, suspect, and offense based solely on a web posting.

That's not to say that idiots posting stuff on the web haven't closed the case on an assault or robbery investigation, however.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless there was some sort of serious issue -- like it identified a previously unidentified victim or gang involvement -- the police won't generally go after a fight that showed up on the web. There's plenty of other stuff for cops to worry about rather than trying to identify venue, victim, suspect, and offense based solely on a web posting.

That's not to say that idiots posting stuff on the web haven't closed the case on an assault or robbery investigation, however.
Oh contraire, they would be looking for me. :bored:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is ok to open your hand, if the head moves. :)

Yes and no. You talking about parts of seconds. You land an open hand in an akward manner and you can break that too.

Especially if they forehead block. Because you can wrist lock yourself. Or meet an elbow.

And you cant just not throw strikes in case you hurt yourself.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
why not just palm striking instead of using fists to the head?
not even training methods like ruining hands by smashing it on rocks, like done in goju karate, could prevent your fists from being broken from strong punching hard targets.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is ok to open your hand, if the head moves.

Yes and no. You talking about parts of seconds.

I've seen it happen up close. I was sparring with my instructor once and he threw a punch, saw that my head was moving forward straight into it so he opened his hand and just tapped me on the nose with his palm.

Latest Discussions