Interference with Bone (knuckle) Conditioning of hands for brick breaking (Please help)

Lance

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for clicking on my question,
I am conditioning my fists for breaking (a process that will take years).
I am following the conventional training method shown on this Youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZrfuknGr44
Problem: I have a very stubborn tendon that straps directly over my middle knuckle (right hand) and interferes with the bone getting impacted directly (in the course of the daily 100-rep routine)...I am NOT interested in the tendon getting conditioned (impacted) because under significant force (such as in doing "push ups" on my front knuckles, or a real combat punch) the tendon squeezes out of the way, but then springs right back when the force is absent (this is extremely annoying)...(So, I don't want to condition the tendon, I just want it out of the way so I can condition the bone directly).
How can I get the tendon out of the way (permanently, more or less) so that the bone development is not inerfeared with??
How did you experienced breakers deal with this issue when you started conditioning for breaking??

(I have emailed maker of the video, but he still hasn't gotten back to me)

I Thank you all, so much.
-Lance

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot move the tendon permanently to the side unless you're willing to give up being able to extend that finger.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
i would say the above is correct unless possibly with surgery... that is all I can tell you , and I doubt most surgeons would be willing to do something like that, for ethical reasons as well as physical ones..

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My advice is, adapt. You cant use that knuckle. Alrighty then. You have the sides of Your hands, elbows, feet...
Its not the end of the world if You cant use that hand.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope you're not hitting rock like the guy in the video...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify. There's nothing abnormal about a tendon running over the top of the knuckle. That's where it is supposed to run. Mechanically, that is where it must be in order for your finger to work. We pretty much all have tendons there.
The most I've broken with a punch is 10 16x8x2" concrete pavers. My hands work fine, even for delicate work. It would be very difficult to suture, for example, if my hands didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor, but I have done some similar training with a sifu. If you are doing this type of training by video without a teacher who has been well trained it, all I have to say is.... Enjoy the debilitating arthritis of your hands when you're older

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
This training is risky at best. Even with a sifu who knows how o train you in this type of conditioning, you will pay a price. Having youtube as your guidence...it just isn't a good idea.

Why do you require this type of training? In today's world, there is no need for it. Unless you are dong a lot of bare knuckle fighting, your time would be much better served with other training. I say this as someone who has some of this training. I can break boards and bricks. Its best use is for showing off and honestly, I'd trade the iron hand training for hands without arthritis. If used correctly, your hands are plenty tough to take care of a couple of zipper heads. If your training isn't up to snuff, won't matter if your hands are made of steel. Life isn't a movie, there are trade offs for training like this.

Latest Discussions