Conditioning

G

Gumdomaster

For a serious martial artist, what kind of conditioning should I be doing? I do some shin conditioning, but what else is there. I have heard of a stomach conditioning and thigh conditioning where your partner repetitively kicks you. What does this really do? How long and often should you do it? Are there any other conditioning tips? What kind of knuckle/fist conditioning is there?

Gumdomaster

OP
J

Jaymeister

You should be VERY careful with conditioning, if done incorrectly it can really mess up your body. What kind of shin conditioning do you do?

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaymeister said:
You should be VERY careful with conditioning, if done incorrectly it can really mess up your body.

Good point and I agree!! Anytime you begin conditioning, it needs to be done slowly, starting off with using something soft and gradually building resistance to something harder.

Mike

OP
G

Gumdomaster

I try not to go overboard on my shin conditioning. I started by taking an escrima stick and hitting my shins over and over again. It worked really well too. I dont feel any real pain in my shins. Unfortunately, I began seeing something like bumps where I hit myself. Since then I take a rolling pin and roll it up and down my shins for about 5 min. per leg. I think this works just as well.
Gumdomaster

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest wrapping that rolling pin in a towel and then roll it. As it was said, you want to start off slow and gradually build up. Jumping right in and hitting yourself with a stick can lead to some serious injury.

Mike

OP
G

Gumdomaster

MJS,
That is a great idea I had not thought of that. thanks. Do you know of any hand conditioning methods? Have you ever heard of something called iron palm?
Gumdomaster

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I've heard of iron palm training. Have I done it? No. Like any conditioning that you do, it is strongly suggested that you start off slow. Having someone that can guide you on the proper way to do it is also a good idea.

Mike

OP
G

Gumdomaster

What other conditioning would you recommend? I have enough room for anything. I have a punching bag if that helps.
Gumdomaster

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could do a weight routine for overall body conditioning. As for the shins, kicking the bag using the shin, not the instep will also help. As for the hands...as I said, I don't do any of that so I'm probably not the best person to give advice. I would however seek out someone who can guide you how to do it properly.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
You could do conditioning for the shins, I would however seek out someone who can guide you how to do it properly.

True Mike, I changed your words....but I think it applies JUST fine.

DON'T go this 'bone conditioning' route alone.
I'm not even so convinced it's adviseable in any way.

Your Brother
John

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
What kind of conditioning? In other words, what goal are you aiming for? In my case, I condition for tournaments. So for me, I did a lot of cardio workouts, such as crunches, sit-ups and what not. Also, I do some strength endurance conditioning, mainly for my wrists. Hopefully that's an idea for you :)

OP
G

Gumdomaster

47MartialMan said:
Any repetitive pounding conditioning is not good.

What kind of pounding. As in pounding on your abs? For how long or how many times.

Also I am conditioning to be able to take an assault from an attacker. Basically, take a beating and still be able to fight. This is not for getting into fights at school or anywhere else, just to further my martial arts practice.

Gumdomaster

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best thing for that is simply to spar without pads. Work with an opponent you know and trust, and slowly build up the amount of contact until it just becomes intolerable. Since "conditioning" yourself in this way is more mental than physical (you won't be deadening any nerves, like with iron body), it should help you reach your goal.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gumdomaster said:
What kind of pounding. As in pounding on your abs? For how long or how many times.

Also I am conditioning to be able to take an assault from an attacker. Basically, take a beating and still be able to fight. This is not for getting into fights at school or anywhere else, just to further my martial arts practice.

Gumdomaster
I do not know where you reside, but this sought of thing is blown out of proportion. You did mention shins also.
Conditioning the parts of the body is always bad. The long term effects are bad-no matter what medicinal applications can heal. Take it from me. I have been training for 37+ years-I feel it-worse. Conditioning as this was done in early decades when societies and the whole population did not have readily acccess to guns/weapons and law enforcement. Unless one is training to be a professional fighter, conditioning is not needed. Rely on other skills and practice for self defense.

Another thought-if one has a weakness, per a "glass jaw". then all the other conditioning is wasted if they get hit really hard there. (Also to mention a club, knife, and gun.) Also, what if the opponent, not being condition this way, can also take a beating. Thus the outcome is whom had or had not condition, but whom can take the pain and get in the best shots.

Shin conditioning is not needed against a average opponent-unless you are going in professional kickboxing. It is over-rated (not the kickboxing)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who lives in conditions where this is necessary (besides "tough guy" fantasy fulfillment) in modern society anyway??

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gumdomaster said:

In an earlier post you said that you're hitting your shins with sticks. This is what is being referred to as 'pounding'.

IMHO, its much better to do your best to avoid the shots, rather than just continue to take them and hope that you can do some sort of counter. Will you get hit in a fight? Of course, but as I said, if you can minimize the hits taken...thats a better route to go.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MJS said:
A.) In an earlier post you said that you're hitting your shins with sticks. This is what is being referred to as 'pounding'.

IMHO, its much better to do your best to avoid the shots, rather than just continue to take them and hope that you can do some sort of counter. Will you get hit in a fight? Of course, but as I said, if you can minimize the hits taken...thats a better route to go.

Mike
A.) Any pounding/impact in such a repetitive way on bones and joints are going to be "paid for" in the long run. Been there. Done that. Not smart. If I had foresight, or someone to have told me long ago not to, and explained to me the logics, or non-logic behind it, I would have not.

B.) I cant tell you how many fights I had avoided. And how many I have been and seen were conditioning did not matter.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
A.) Any pounding/impact in such a repetitive way on bones and joints are going to be "paid for" in the long run. Been there. Done that. Not smart. If I had foresight, or someone to have told be long ago not to, and explained to me the logics, or non-logic behind it, I would have not.

B.) I cant tell you how many fights I had avoided. And how many I have been and seen were conditioning did not matter.

A- I agree. If conditioning is the route people want to take, there are certainly better routes to take than pounding away at yourself.

B) :ultracool

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Could it be said that those who "enetertain such ideas are young and exuberant? (Not counting pro fighters)

Latest Discussions