Knife Fighting

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think also that that particular knife could get you into trouble in areas where balisongs are illegal, as it has two pivoting blades...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any opinions on the Spyderco Yojimbo? I'm torn between the fact that I kind of like the unconventional blade profile and the fact that I don't want to contribute to Michael Janich's economy...:uhyeah:

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Any opinions on the Spyderco Yojimbo? I'm torn between the fact that I kind of like the unconventional blade profile and the fact that I don't want to contribute to Michael Janich's economy...:uhyeah:

A) the blade shape seems to favor thrusting over cutting. And with a folder a lot of people say that you should concentrate on cutting.

B) this was a knife designed for fighting. You get caught with the thing after an incident and trying to convince the DA that you were not looking for a fight gets a lot harder. Thousands of dollars in lawer's fees harder.

C) it does not seem to be as usefull for every day tasks as a Delica or an Endura. You get a lot more use out of a knife (read "experience") with daily use and are a lot less likely to think of it as dead weight if it is something you can use to cut twine, cardboard, etc.

Just as an aside, my views on knives are that they are tools that can be used as weapons if needed. I carried my knife today even though all I was going to was a school on the eve of the day before school begins. You never know what you might need to cut up. But if I was thinking that there might be trouble, I don't reach for a knife (that is just a daily thing) but instead go for pepper spray and in extreme cases an ASP baton. The knife really is a tool for me. And as such, I am more likely to have it on me when things go south than anything that is mainly a weapon.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
A) the blade shape seems to favor thrusting over cutting. And with a folder a lot of people say that you should concentrate on cutting.

B) this was a knife designed for fighting. You get caught with the thing after an incident and trying to convince the DA that you were not looking for a fight gets a lot harder. Thousands of dollars in lawer's fees harder.

C) it does not seem to be as usefull for every day tasks as a Delica or an Endura. You get a lot more use out of a knife (read "experience") with daily use and are a lot less likely to think of it as dead weight if it is something you can use to cut twine, cardboard, etc.
Not going to argue about B (a moot point anyway since I don't carry knives on my person regularly, I'm more of a collector/knifesturbator:ultracool ), but knowing the MBC curriculum, I don't think it was designed to thrust any more than slash. As for C, I honestly don't see the reason, other than perhaps what appears to be a very thin and fragile point.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
B) this was a knife designed for fighting.

Coulda fooled me -- I thought it was a folding kiridashi:

jap_gard1.jpg

I rather like the "shirasaya" version, personally: It's just a short stick until you need it to be something else. :wink2:

Not to mention that these are a helluva lot less expensive. The laminated steel is a nice feature too.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aiight, it seems that the database hung up on me for a while, and even after my typing Dale's writing appeared as the last thread entry.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You just go ahead and take a trip to Eureka Valley with your pretty skirt on. :rofl:

In the meantime I'll go fry up some bacon with a bare torso. Now who's El Macho!?%-}

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Nimravus,

The Hissatsu was developed by James Williams of Bugei who does
sell some excellent products. While I have not held the trainer or
the real thing in my hands I have been thinking about buying one
soon! The design of the knife looks great! Definately going to have
to get one soon!

Brian R. VanCise

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a little incident last night.

I was reading the paper while on the train to class when my radar started pinging and I found a guy coming straight toward me. It was clear he had too much to drink and the term 'liquid courage' would be appropriate in this case.

I talked with him and settled the matter without incident. He got off the train the stop after he started trying to talk to me. I think I scared him and his depature was a face- saving retreat.

After he got off, I put the pocket knife I had pulled and had hidden in my right hand back where I carry it. No one on the train, much less the guy who was the most immediate threat, knew I had pulled it out and had it in my hand and ready to use at any time.

I have been looking through all the books and such I have on 'knife fighting' today and I can't seem to find one that seems to deal with the idea of getting a knife ready to deploy without actually attacking with it or taking an obvious stance and such. I suspect it is just something I have picked up through the years I have been here.

Is the idea of getting something like a knife ready to use without at least posturing with it something that anyone has heard of being taught outside of ninjutsu? Has anyone who trains in ninjutsu at least played with the idea?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:

I was reading the paper while on the train to class when my radar started pinging and I found a guy coming straight toward me. It was clear he had too much to drink and the term 'liquid courage' would be appropriate in this case.

I talked with him and settled the matter without incident. He got off the train the stop after he started trying to talk to me. I think I scared him and his depature was a face- saving retreat.

After he got off, I put the pocket knife I had pulled and had hidden in my right hand back where I carry it. No one on the train, much less the guy who was the most immediate threat, knew I had pulled it out and had it in my hand and ready to use at any time.

I have been looking through all the books and such I have on 'knife fighting' today and I can't seem to find one that seems to deal with the idea of getting a knife ready to deploy without actually attacking with it or taking an obvious stance and such. I suspect it is just something I have picked up through the years I have been here.

Is the idea of getting something like a knife ready to use without at least posturing with it something that anyone has heard of being taught outside of ninjutsu? Has anyone who trains in ninjutsu at least played with the idea?

Yes, I had a similiar experience last year. I was reading at a Starbucks when I heard a loud voice. When I looked up I saw a man who's demeanor and physical appearance screamed Methamphetamines. Before I realized this, I had made eye contact with him - which, BTW, triggers paranoids. He turned to the person with him and said that he was going to "fist fight that boy", referring to me. Because, as a painter, I usually carry a utility knife, I had to consider my options and I pretty much did exactly as you did. Fortunately, he left without incident. Meth is a MAJOR problem in Northern California and a California Highway Patrol Officer was recently murdered in a case that was related to Meth trafficking.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Don,

To your question above about getting out the tool so that you
are ready to deploy it is something I teach and have been taught
both in Budo Taijutsu and also in FMA. If you have a tool you need
to be in position to deploy it if needed. I have had similar incidents
to yours above and it is important to be smooth in what you do
so that the other person has no clue what is going on. I am glad
that you were able to diffuse the situation verbally, as that is always
the best option.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to safely defuse that situation. People underestimate the value of confidence that one can get from martial arts training.

Don Roley said:
Is the idea of getting something like a knife ready to use without at least posturing with it something that anyone has heard of being taught outside of ninjutsu?

Definitely in FMA, both as a tactic and as a warning that others will use this approach against you. The hidden or unseen knife is always a threat.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:

Don,

Glad all went well.

I know Paul J teaches the pull and make it available technqiues, as well as the legal ramifications of the local state.

If asked by a close student I will go over it myself with them. Not something I usually teach to general public.

From my experience, when I had a knife in my pocket if I did not pull it upon first thought of approach, it would be too late and remain in my pocket through the altercation. If a weapon is out of your reach, then it is out of the fight. If you have no time to get it yourself. There are clear drills for getting range and dealing with accessing the weapon, but if you get into trapping and grappling range, and reamin there, you have to have a weapon in a place you can acesss without giving the opponent too much of a momentary advantage. Some FMA's teach you to check the opponent for your own safety and for access to a weapon while your hands are busy with the opponent.

Latest Discussions