KKW TKD Dictionary

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm always searching online for different sources of TKD Korean terminology. I recently found this one.
http://www.eagletkd.com/docs/tkd dictionary 2016 revision.pdf
It is not only the most comprehensive list I have found, but it is also put out by the Kukkiwon, so for those of us who do Kukki TKD, it's considered "official." What I really like is that along with English and Romanized Korean, words are also shown in Hangul
Thanks to Eagleville Taekwondo Academy in Norristown, PA for putting this online!

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a bit inconsistent in definition (e.g. black is 검은 which is accusative and should've been specified, and blue is 청 as in 蓝 (hanja), and there are slight inaccuracies (e.g. 명령어 actually means command/s), but overall it's good.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is not only the most comprehensive list I have found, but it is also put out by the Kukkiwon, so for those of us who do Kukki TKD, it's considered "official."

Just to be clear (and I've posted this in another thread), it's not put out by the Kukkiwon and it's not considered official. The Kukkiwon has an official terminology guide. This is one guy's document (he's a Changmookwan senior or mine and a friend, so I'm not saying bad things about it - just clarifying that it's not official).

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear (and I've posted this in another thread), it's not put out by the Kukkiwon and it's not considered official. The Kukkiwon has an official terminology guide. This is one guy's document (he's a Changmookwan senior or mine and a friend, so I'm not saying bad things about it - just clarifying that it's not official).

Well, that's just disappointing. Putting the Kukkiwon name on the document was, in my opinion, misleading and dishonest. Since he's a friend of yours, perhaps you can clarify his intent, but for now it seems that this runs contrary to the Martial Arts Spirit.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, that's just disappointing. Putting the Kukkiwon name on the document was, in my opinion, misleading and dishonest. Since he's a friend of yours, perhaps you can clarify his intent, but for now it seems that this runs contrary to the Martial Arts Spirit.
If you want the official KKW definitions and terms go to the KKW website or buy the Taekwondo Textbook.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

While I only skimmed it, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it was an official document published by Kukkiwon. It's not in their house design style, it doesn't have their logo on it, the author's name is American/European in origin, etc. It looks, to me, like a high-ranking American instructor did an impressive amount of work to put together a dictionary of terms commonly used in KKW TKD, for the edification of his students and/or fellow instructors.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm sure his intent was to publish a document in his name for use in Kukkiwon Taekwondo. He clearly puts his name on the very front page, and uses "I" throughout the preface. It's for use in "Kukkiwon Taekwondo" so the title isn't misleading to me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

KKW schools often put the KKW logo on all kinds of things TKD-related.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is an awesome resource. It uses the 2012 technical terminology document posted on the Kukkiwon's website but I think Master Giamo's compilation is much easier to understand and follow.

Latest Discussions