Black Belt When???????

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with you Dave........ he was a madman! lol he was a fanatic and realized that many of those guys over there were no match for him. (Tiger coming out in his youth) just so happens that he could back it up!!! very very well..... for a long time.:D

:asian:

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
in 1988 that all changed.

I hear a lot of people dived in 1988 and that time frame. What is up with that?

R

Ronin

The way I see it Mr. C is that the real winner students stuck with you during the tough times and didnt fade away with the times.

C

clapping_tiger

I am not a black belt yet, but I have been studying in my current school for a little more than 2 years. If I had already received my black belt I think I would feel cheated. You didn’t really work for anything. Receiving your black belt should mean something and be a turning point in your life. I go to tournaments and seminars and see black belts that don’t have the skills that I have. I am not bragging but I am stating a fact that to many people get their black belts too soon. They get cocky and think that’s it I have this down. Your black belt should be the beginning of your journey not the end of it. I feel that once you have your black belt it states that I have all the basics down. My stances are perfect, my technique is almost flawless, and I know what I am talking about and so on. You can’t accomplish this in a year or two, unless you are that person who can spend 8-10 hours a day in the dojo. I have been told and I agree with the statement, that to earn your black belt it should take as long as someone earning a college degree. It worries me that we have people walking around with black belts that they bought, and have not earned. If these people run into truouble on the street, they might not have the experience to really defend themselves.
:soapbox:

B

Battousai

Thats a good point clapping_tiger, but then having gone to college and graduating with a computer science degree, I would have to say that getting a black belt should be harder then college. I think I probabily put more time into martial arts back when I was in high school then I ever put into college. Of course I've put more time into playing video games then college as well.

R

Rainman

That does not sound unreasonable being that the average time for a ba/bs is now five years. I think more than anything it depends on the individual and how good their respective guides may be.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
usually take 4 1/2 to 6 years of at least 2 to 3 times a week (always depending upon the individual of course and I should add the instructor) that is pretty average.

T

tunetigress

Funny how many people seem to see the achievement of a Black Belt as the end of the journey and the granting of some kind of god-like power. You can wrap a Black Belt around just about any size of bag of crap folks! What is actually living inside that belt is what is truly of value, and sometimes it is really hard for the uninitiated to see past that darn belt and listen beyond the boasting and bravado. I don't care how long it took MY insructor to get his Black Belt, nor do I care how long it's gonna take me to get mine. Different paths to walk down for us all, I guess. :asian:

K

KenpoGirl

I was working on a time line of about the 4 to 4 1/2 years for my BB. That's with going to class 5 days a week and of course before I blew out my knee.

I didn't want it for the "god-like power" as far as I know that wasn't a Standard option, you'd have to pay way more for that belt. ;)

I wanted it for the sence of accomplishment it would give me. Still do. But I know that it's going to take another 4 plus years to get my BB, as I'll be starting over again. I'm fine with that, all the more challenge, when the time comes.

dot :cool:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Time is a lose, .... I said lose goal...... it really is not something you focus on. Focus on the current material and doing it as good as possible and listen to your instructor. Spend more time on getting familiar and good with your basic skills and less about how much time its gonna take you.

T

tunetigress

Lucky for me, I got all the time in the world. Nuthin but time on my hands. Sounds like a Jazz song. Hmmmm..... Maybe I should write one.....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great Attitute,
It is the hard work and the spirt that one puts into learninthat makes any accomplishment worth while. I have the idea from reading your posts that neither of you would want a blaclk belt if it where eazy.
Shadow

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The weight comes form the struggle!

Good Timber.....

The Tree that never had to fight,
For sun and sky and air and light,
That stood out in the open plain
And always got its share of rain
Never became a forest king,
but lived and died a scrubby thing.
The man who never had to toil,
Who never had to win his share,
Of sun and sky an light and air,
Never became a manly man
But lived and died as he began
Good Timber does not grow in ease
The stronger wind the tougher trees.
The farther sky the greater length
The more the storm the more the strength
By sun and cold. by rain and snows.
In tree or man good timer grows
Where thickest stands the forest growth
We find the patriarchs of both
and they hold converse with the stars
whose broken branches show the scars
Of many winds and much of strife
This is the common law of life.

K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

I have the idea from reading your posts that neither of you would want a blaclk belt if it where eazy.
Shadow

LOL you could be right, shadow. It was always a pet peeve with me, that someone (usually female) could advance in the ranks, (my previous school) without hardly breaking a sweat or denting a punching bag.

I think I would be a drill sargents dream, the more someone pushes me on, the harder I'll work. The old "I'll show you" attitude, of course that only if the "pushing" is done with respect. I tend to fold like a wet newspaper the moment someone is rude or insulting for no reason, take all the air outta me.

"Ooops, I guess I just let my secret weakness outta the bag. Just call me Samson"

These days my attitude is a lot different. I need a reason to train and that's not like me, just something I have to get past. Soon I hope. I look forward to the day I start training full time again. Coming home exhausted but feeling great because I worked hard and did the best I could. Those were good days. :cool:

dot

BTW Dennis, that's a great Poem, very thoughtful.
I think I'll print that out an put it on my wall.
Maybe it will give me some inspiration. :)

K

KenpoGirl

Caught with my hand in the cookie jar, as it were.

You are right of course. Though I doubt I'll ever be able to quote it page and chapter as you do.

:rolleyes:

dot

R

Rob_Broad

You have to remeber that GD has been training longer than some of the members here have been alive. hey wait a minute, i think I am starting to get into that category myself these days.

No my hair isn't going gray it is camoflage to help me blend in with the old guys.

Latest Discussions