Kicks

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing all those and more for over 25 years. I do not have problems from them yet. I hope to get 25 more years before I have trouble.
Depends on the person I suppose my mates a tad instructor and he’s having his knee done, my brothers gf started in her 30s and had to quit after 6 months due to hip pain, same with any sport some bodies are tougher than others

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was a mistake for me to have thrown out some ideas in the first place.
Sometime we share information not just for the OP who starts the thread, but for thoses who may be interested.

Try not to wait until you need to have a hip replacement. To prevent a problem from happening is much easier than to wait until the problem has happened and then try to fix it.

I think the hook kick is worse than the side kick. I loved to do hook kick when I was young. I don't do it any more just try to protect my hip joint.

my-triple-kick.gif

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When is she having pain? When she's doing the kick, or later on after class? Is it more muscle pain, or deep in the joint?

If she's having pain doing the kick, or some muscle soreness after, then some of the earlier comments about stretching, muscle strength etc are probably right. She may just be overdoing it and trying kick harder, higher, etc than she has the strength or flexibility for.

If she's having pain deep in the hip joint after the kicking, I'd be a bit more concerned. About a decade ago, I tore the cartilage in my hip on one side. After that, when I would do any turning kicks (side, roundhouse, hook), I would later on have a great deal of pain, like someone was sticking an ice pick through my hip joint. I ended up needing to get my hip cartilage & joint capsule surgically repaired, which meant no exercising for like 8 months and lots of PT. It's fine now, other than some occasional achiness.

Latest Discussions