Kicks dont seem right and Frustration

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if she was saying BotF roundhouses do not work. And it's not that I believe they do not work. They do work and have their place. They just are not as fast as instep roundhouse kicks.
As far as instep front kicks, we do use those in free fighting to prevent accidents. Otherwise, it is always the traditional front kick. Likewise, we use the bottom of the foot for side kicks in sparring for the same reason. Free fighting by necessity requires some modifications in technique to prevent accidents. It would not take much, contacting someone's ribcage with your heel during a sidekick, to send them to the hospital. This is why we also do not use the ball for roundhouse kicks during sparring.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I'm not sure if she was saying BotF roundhouses do not work.

Given that she said they were slower, less powerful, and disagreed with the notion that you can actually throw the kick without hyperextending your knee, I don't see her allowing many positives.

And it's not that I believe they do not work. They do work and have their place. They just are not as fast as instep roundhouse kicks.

Perhaps. Still curious about how much faster though. Has anyone actually quantified the difference?

As far as instep front kicks, we do use those in free fighting to prevent accidents.

How you you avoid breaking your toes?

Otherwise, it is always the traditional front kick. Likewise, we use the bottom of the foot for side kicks in sparring for the same reason. Free fighting by necessity requires some modifications in technique to prevent accidents. It would not take much, contacting someone's ribcage with your heel during a sidekick, to send them to the hospital. This is why we also do not use the ball for roundhouse kicks during sparring.

See, I'd call this evidence that BotF kicks done via RH or FK do lend penetrating power to the kicks that they otherwise lose with the instep. Tigerwoman disagreed with that notion outright. (Shrug)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't break our toes because we don't kick strong, and our opponent gives with his body to minimize impact force. In the event that an opponent is being really aggressive, we will start kicking stronger to give him a message to relax and not be so strong, but there are better kicks than front kick for that.

I never said that ball of the foot roundhouse kicks don't work. Remember, I said we practice those for breaking or strong self defense. I just said they tend not to be as fast because they require more leg muscle tightening.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah. I wasn't saying that you were stating or otherwise implying that BotF RH kicks were weak. Just trying to clairfy since Tigerwoman responded with an "I agree. The BotF kicks are slower and less powerful." Ot one of your earlier posts, and I never saw where the less powerful component came into play given your comments.

The speed thing's just a curiousity for me. If there are muscle groupings causing slowdown then someone must've actually studied it methodically at some point. I just want to know what the average difference in speed tends to be. A few tenths of a second? A second? I'm having trouble visualizing the actual speed advantage because they move at the same speed for me as far as I can tell unless I really cheat on my chambering for the instep variant. (Not saying you're wrong, my instep kicking's probably just under developed or something, but the actual difference potential interests me.)

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would just like to say theat spin kicks is one of the things I do well, mainly because I'm still young. I will go through the steps I take with a severely balance impared student.

1. Stand on one foot for 30 seconds at a time without swaying excessively.

2. Just spin in place. Don't kick, just pick your foot up and spin.

3. Form the beginnings of the kick. Don't do the entire kic, just the beginning with the spin.

4. Remember that you must rotate your body in this order: Head, shoulders, torso, leg. Also, when you rotate your head around, fix your focus on your target. You must see your target to hit it.

5. Keep your arms tight when you spin. Flailing arms throw balance off.

6. Do the kick, and practice it over and over with anybody watching you. tell them what to look for so that you can try to catch some of your mistakes. Start out with something that moves easily when you kick it, focus pads work well. This way you don't have to worry about the power, just the technique. worry about the power once you've become proficient with the kick.

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nick.
Perhaps I may help in a different way because I cannot see how you are applying your kicking technique.

What happens in the martial arts is you are now reaching an area of understanding where you were making these mistakes in the past and not correcting them, because you did not know how. theis is good. for now you are ready to move on to the next level of understang where you did not understand before. front kick or side kick?

Grand Master Gene Perceval

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an observation...

There's a date at the top left of each post and thread. You sure seem to be replying to some OLD posts... Yeah, sometimes someone raises a thread from the dead with new, good information, but lots of the time... there's a reason it's been inactive for ages...