Fear of Jump Kicks

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure if it's because I learn this as an adult, I have this fear about jump side kicks. I know I'm suppose to turn my hips in the air, commit to the kick, and kick through, but for some reason, I have this fear, and I dont' want to turn my body when I'm up in the air!!! So I usually ended up with some ugly half side kick, half front kick kind of deal. Any tips?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
practice...which usually fixes most problems...

try it on a padded floor(if you're not already) if you are worried about falling...that's the only real advice I've got for you, other than take it slow and don't expect all to come "at once"...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faye, you are just like the rest of us. Women don't jump, at the very least as well. You just need a lot of practice. It didn't feel right to me either at first. I'm assuming jump back kick, so instructions are for that:

1st. Just jump in place, knees come up.

2nd. Jump and turn 180°, right to left and vice versa. Get used to your body doing this.

3rd. Jump and just turn 90° halfway: first your left side is lined up to the left of the target, jump up, turn right, facing toward the back and lift the right foot. So your left shoulder is lined up with the target, you are facing 90° away (right angle) you jump up with both feet, you land facing the back with one leg up and try doing a small side kick back. Never turn your hips further than facing toward the back.

4th. Same start position, line up on one side of the target, like before, so if you turn to side kick you would hit dead on. Jump up like you have now done alot, bring your kicking leg knee up and reach back to the target which should be right there. Extend out quickly, confidence comes with practice.

Don't jump out further away from the target, go up and down, bring your weight up and through your kicking leg, slight hip thrust. Hit with your heel. Practice, practice, practice, makes perfect. TW

T

Tkang_TKD

TigerWoman said:
Faye, you are just like the rest of us. Women don't jump, at the very least as well. You just need a lot of practice. It didn't feel right to me either at first. I'm assuming jump back kick, so instructions are for that:

1st. Just jump in place, knees come up.

2nd. Jump and turn 180°, right to left and vice versa. Get used to your body doing this.

3rd. Jump and just turn 90° halfway: first your left side is lined up to the left of the target, jump up, turn right, facing toward the back and lift the right foot. So your left shoulder is lined up with the target, you are facing 90° away (right angle) you jump up with both feet, you land facing the back with one leg up and try doing a small side kick back. Never turn your hips further than facing toward the back.

4th. Same start position, line up on one side of the target, like before, so if you turn to side kick you would hit dead on. Jump up like you have now done alot, bring your kicking leg knee up and reach back to the target which should be right there. Extend out quickly, confidence comes with practice.

Don't jump out further away from the target, go up and down, bring your weight up and through your kicking leg, slight hip thrust. Hit with your heel. Practice, practice, practice, makes perfect. TW
Great Description TW! :) Much better than the one I gave in an earlier thread. I absolutely must learn how to write descriptively ;)

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Go to a gym with a trampoline and take some lessons on its use and have fun. You should be able to work the mechanics there with very low chance of injury. A good gym will have a pit you can jump into so, that you will be able to practice flying kicks.

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tigerwoman, i love your descriptions, and step by steps... is it the same thing with jump side kicks? My instructor always comment that I'm not "committed" to the kick.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A jump side kick is different but can be broken down too. It is more lateral, going only one direction, you can travel in that direction by taking a jump with the none kicking leg by...lst bringing the knee up high toward the direction you are facing-90° from the target, and dropping it in the spot the other foot was....because as it drops in place (foot facing back), the other leg extends out as a side kick. The foot which jumps and lands and the sidekick striking may not be at the same time at first. So when you get better at jumping, both legs are up at the same time. Getting better requires getting those quads stronger!** TW

**see thread about jumping, gaining power"
Paul Martin's (Loki) exercise routine for this is good, and I have been practicing it.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17349

Latest Discussions