Kenpo's origins

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, Mr. Weston...

Where was this certificate copy obtained?

If authentic, (and I am not claiming it is not, in any way) it would validate the point. Sadly, so much of the evidence of "everything and anything" is questioned and disputed "ad nauseum". Even practitioners personal accounts, who were there during the time and "present" at the event in question.

It is extremely frustrating to try to piece together any historical representation of our art. For every point, there is a counter point, it seems. Chess, anyone...? :)

Thank you for posting it.
Milt G.
This copy has been floating around for years, and I was shown the hard copy original by Mr. Parker. It was subsequently put in Mrs. Parker's book after her husbands death, and obviously before she too, passed away. I think many of the old-timers had copies on their computers.

What is really interesting is Mr. Parker didn't think much of certificates in the old days. He said there were lots of guys with certificates who were plain lousy in the arts, while "Joe Blow" down the street was working on his "street diploma" and good whoop your a** even if you showed him your diploma.

Mr. Parker used to tell a story to illustrate how some get "full of themselves" in his "King of the Jungle" anecdote.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This copy has been floating around for years, and I was shown the hard copy original by Mr. Parker. It was subsequently put in Mrs. Parker's book after her husbands death, and obviously before she too, passed away. I think many of the old-timers had copies on their computers.

What is really interesting is Mr. Parker didn't think much of certificates in the old days. He said there were lots of guys with certificates who were plain lousy in the arts, while "Joe Blow" down the street was working on his "street diploma" and good whoop your a** even if you showed him your diploma.

Mr. Parker used to tell a story to illustrate how some get "full of themselves" in his "King of the Jungle" anecdote.

Thanks Doc. Yeah, hard to knock someone out with a certificate. ;)

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Thank you, Sir, for the information.
I, we, appreciate it!

Milt G.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good pointes about Mr.Parker. I am one of the guys who thinks a certificate o diploma does not say so much of the holder of that piece of paper,there are so many new marial arts and so many organizations around us that is hard to believe some times in the diplomas.

For instance, I am 1 Dan Black Belt in TKD under JiDo Kwan México and have no KuKiWon Certification but this has not afected me cause I know what I am, just a plain Black Belt who loves MA, howevere I've been in some dojos where the sensei is a high rank black belt in 2,3 or more MA and most of this certificates are fake. In the other hand I've been in humble dojos where the sesnsei is full of wisdom and know how to teach and pass his/her knowledge.

I have no doubt Mr.Parker was the pioneer of Kenpo in USA and have no doubt Mr.Parker was a truly MA man.

Manny

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score