Kenpo technique video clips. Any comments?

R

rmcrobertson

Well, the issue of presentation is a valid one--for example, it's often hard to tell on these Forums if a writer is actually a jerk, or if they're just not very good at presenting their ideas.

I recollect, years ago, that somebody I was in a technique line with who happened to be an actor said, "It's all just acting---you have to SELL the technique to the audience." I remember thinking, "No, you don't." And I'd still a lot rather see good blocks than the clever stuff that often gets passed off as significant.

And I often notice that martial students, when they try to improve, focus entirely on the external and entirely on the upper case. For example, they swing harder when the problem is really with where their feet are--or they fuss over what other students are doing, when the problem lies in their own training.

Amknpo

White Belt
Reaction score
In response to those that have mentioned Santa Clara Kenpo Karate.

Santa Clara has some of the most talented and gifted martial artists around. Their hard work and strong work ethics from all of those involved at Santa Clara, from Mr. Sepulveda, Mr. Beltramo, to Mr. Chivers all speak for themselves. They DO NOT and NEVER will need a video on the internet to sell their school. Their reputation alone will continue to do that.

Denise Plowman
Boise Valley Kenpo Karate

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
And I often notice that martial students, when they try to improve, focus entirely on the external and entirely on the upper case. For example, they swing harder when the problem is really with where their feet are--or they fuss over what other students are doing, when the problem lies in their own training.
Or they try to go as fast as possible to cover up their precision...I used to do that years ago!

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amknpo said:
In response to those that have mentioned Santa Clara Kenpo Karate.

Santa Clara has some of the most talented and gifted martial artists around. Their hard work and strong work ethics from all of those involved at Santa Clara, from Mr. Sepulveda, Mr. Beltramo, to Mr. Chivers all speak for themselves. They DO NOT and NEVER will need a video on the internet to sell their school. Their reputation alone will continue to do that.

Denise Plowman
Boise Valley Kenpo Karate

I agree that SC Kenpo is a top Kenpo school. I studied there briefly in 1997 - 1998 and had been acquainted with Mr. Sepulveda for more than 15 years prior to that via local tournaments co-sponsored by our two schools. Mr. Beltramo personally handed me my most complete and most painful tournament sparring defeat ever. I have a friend who trains there and he also has nothing but superlatives for the school and staff.

I am sure that Kenpo cognoscenti in the San Jose area will continue to make SC Kenpo a first choice as they have for over 25 years.

But, for those who have not yet selected EPAK or who are not familiar with the school's reputation, how will they decide? The San Jose area is one of the most competitive martial arts markets in the US (perhaps only L.A., OC, and NYC are more competitive). The internet has replaced the Yellow Pages as the primary marketing tool for martial artists. If I was unfamiliar with the local schools, and had to pick a dozen schools to visit out of the 200 or so within a 1/2 hour drive, based on what I found via Yahoo and Google, then Mr. Chivers video demonstrations would not earn him a spot on my short list.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Gee, I'd love to see a ninjitsu video that was even half as good as the Red Dragon Kenpo videos. Gotta link?
hey..i'm not slagging off the martial art, just the practitioner. This guy is supposed to be the instructor and highly graded as well. Surely you don't think he looks effective do you? I'm sure he's not a true representative of the art done properly, so don't get your knickers in a twist!

And in response to your question, no i don't know any links to ninjutsu videos if i did i would happily post. I'd actually like to watch some good ones myself.

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Santa Clara has some of the most talented and gifted martial artists around. Their hard work and strong work ethics from all of those involved at Santa Clara, from Mr. Sepulveda, Mr. Beltramo, to Mr. Chivers all speak for themselves.

Denise Plowman
Boise Valley Kenpo Karate[/QUOTE]

I will wholehartedly agree with your statement. Having spent the first 14 years of my Kenpo journey with the group at Santa Clara Kenpo I can attest to the work ethic and talent that John Sepulveda has demanded and willingly recieved of his students. Allthough I haven't seen the video of Mr. Chivers, I can attest to his tallent. Like many of the students there he is solid and bangs at all aspects of Kenpo.
Mr. Wortman, could you please provide a link if possible to the video of Mr. Chivers? I would love to see it.

Regards
Marcus Buonfiglio

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Marcus, How are you?

Here is the link: http://dragonflyvillage.com/johnc

Hey, I have some video of you from a tournament in 1992 or 93 in Santa Clara. You won the Grand Championship. You won 1st place doing Form 6, got 3rd place in Self-Defense Technique Demonstration (I got 2nd), and I think you got 1st place in light or middle-weight freestyle (I was pulverized by Larry Beltramo for a 1st round elimination).

Marcus Buonfiglio

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Hello Marcus, How are you?

Here is the link: http://dragonflyvillage.com/johnc

Hey, I have some video of you from a tournament in 1992 or 93 in Santa Clara. You won the Grand Championship. You won 1st place doing Form 6, got 3rd place in Self-Defense Technique Demonstration (I got 2nd), and I think you got 1st place in light or middle-weight freestyle (I was pulverized by Larry Beltramo for a 1st round elimination).

Hi Allen,
Thanks for the link. I am doing well, thanks. Still training and teaching. Allen, if at all possible I would love to see that video or better yet I would be happy to compensate you for a copy of that video. I have very little in the way of video from that part of my training and I would welcome the memories.
I remember the tourney. They knocked me down in the technique division because I forgot to include a weapon defense. Hell I didn't even know that I was supposed to! (that'swhat happens when you don't read the rules lol) I remember sparring with Beltramo. A lesson in frustration. And the thing is, he is a lot better now than he was back then. Thanks for the stirring of fond memories and let me know about the video.

Regards
Marcus Buonfiglio

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marcus Buonfiglio said:
Hi Allen,
Thanks for the link. I am doing well, thanks. Still training and teaching. Allen, if at all possible I would love to see that video or better yet I would be happy to compensate you for a copy of that video. I have very little in the way of video from that part of my training and I would welcome the memories.
I remember the tourney. They knocked me down in the technique division because I forgot to include a weapon defense. Hell I didn't even know that I was supposed to! (that'swhat happens when you don't read the rules lol) I remember sparring with Beltramo. A lesson in frustration. And the thing is, he is a lot better now than he was back then. Thanks for the stirring of fond memories and let me know about the video.

Regards
Marcus Buonfiglio

It's a 2nd generation copy--so not the best picture quality. I will try to get the good sections copied. Fortunately, nobody filmed Larry mopping the floor with me in Freestyle. I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know Mr. Chivers personally (and Mr. Beltramo, Mr. Bonfigliano, and of course Mr. Sepulveda). That school is undoubtedly one of the most well rounded ones I have ever EVER, seen. From Mr. Beltramo's Friday night banging class, 2 hour workout then he fights everyone who attended ... to serious grappling and submission. Mr. Chivers is a great guy who just bought the school when Mr. Sepulveda retired. He had been teaching there for years.

I have seen and felt him work. The video in no way represents what goes on at the school, it is an advertisment guys, a "hook" for the public. The few seconds of video watching inward blocks, probably looks to the neophyte like "gee mom, here is some real karate". Don't let it fool you regarding how he moves, what his students learn, or how well rounded the school is. It would be a serious underestimation of what goes on there.

-Michael

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
I know Mr. Chivers personally (and Mr. Beltramo, Mr. Bonfigliano, and of course Mr. Sepulveda). That school is undoubtedly one of the most well rounded ones I have ever EVER, seen. From Mr. Beltramo's Friday night banging class, 2 hour workout then he fights everyone who attended ... to serious grappling and submission. Mr. Chivers is a great guy who just bought the school when Mr. Sepulveda retired. He had been teaching there for years.

I have seen and felt him work. The video in no way represents what goes on at the school, it is an advertisment guys, a "hook" for the public. The few seconds of video watching inward blocks, probably looks to the neophyte like "gee mom, here is some real karate". Don't let it fool you regarding how he moves, what his students learn, or how well rounded the school is. It would be a serious underestimation of what goes on there.

-Michael

I agree completely. And that was my point in posting the link to the video. You can't judge the school by the video.

This thread started out as a bash on Red Dragon because of the poor Kenpo demonstrated in their videos. Is Red Dragon Kenpo bad Kenpo? I don't know. If all I had to judge them by was the videos, then I'd say "yes."

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In most of the "other videos" sited the basics and control were there

Red dragon had no powere, focus...etc

L

lonekimono10

Being that this man is from New Jersey and thats where i live , called him and asked him where did he get his kenpo from? he told me that sometimes he go's to tatum camps and gets it, and that he has no real kenpo teacher.
then i remerber going to his school in early feb to drop off some imfor for my camp, i have to say that the videos ,there are no words. but after talking with him(Robert) we are going to get together.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well that's a step in the right direction!!
Hopefully you can get him some quality!!

Latest Discussions