Another Kenpo Video

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have the sound off here at work, so maybe this question is answered if I could hear it... but...

I noticed that almost every technique you had what looks like a "false start" where you did the first step of the technique and then had the attacker start over. Was that intentional, part of the test to explain the technique or something? or just a bad habit? :)

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

The explanations are in spanish. the are demosntrations for a black belt test. The first step was to show the nature of the attack... I tend to do somethig similar to allow a demosntration of the effects of the attack...

It also train the uke to do the attack right (to hurt me if full force... or full force when I request it), instead of accomodating it for a technique.

On the performance, it was solid. On the how-could-be-better side, was the stance definition for increased momentum and strike-footwork timimg which stops body momentum before full delivery of strike.... so that is something to look for to make better and have more power and I understand where it comes from.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

P.D. En otras palabras, no frenes los golpes al caer con el pie antes de dar el golpe, y define mas las transisiones de posturas para aumentar estabilidad y poder de los golpes... eso es facil de mejorar ya que cuando me grabe en video hace un tiempo encontre lo mismo al ir a alta velocidad... ahora lo he arreglado y ver doblar a mis compa~eros con algo que parece una cachetada suave al cuerpo es muy divertido!

No te preocupes... saben el "cuerpo de hierro" y lo aguantan sin problema!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing personal Jose, it seemed to have a lot of wasted movement which was not your fault because it was the nature of the techniques. Although I find most systems of Karate to be far less direct.

At this point the techniques are not functional. When you are able to dissolve the technique, which higher level Kenpoists do, the techniques will become functional. Even at a higher level, I would still see the wasted movement.

OP
KenpoVzla

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
I have the sound off here at work, so maybe this question is answered if I could hear it... but...

I noticed that almost every technique you had what looks like a "false start" where you did the first step of the technique and then had the attacker start over. Was that intentional, part of the test to explain the technique or something? or just a bad habit? :)

profesormental said:
Greetings!

The explanations are in spanish. the are demosntrations for a black belt test. The first step was to show the nature of the attack... I tend to do somethig similar to allow a demosntration of the effects of the attack...

It also train the uke to do the attack right (to hurt me if full force... or full force when I request it), instead of accomodating it for a technique.

On the performance, it was solid. On the how-could-be-better side, was the stance definition for increased momentum and strike-footwork timimg which stops body momentum before full delivery of strike.... so that is something to look for to make better and have more power and I understand where it comes from.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

P.D. En otras palabras, no frenes los golpes al caer con el pie antes de dar el golpe, y define mas las transisiones de posturas para aumentar estabilidad y poder de los golpes... eso es facil de mejorar ya que cuando me grabe en video hace un tiempo encontre lo mismo al ir a alta velocidad... ahora lo he arreglado y ver doblar a mis compa~eros con algo que parece una cachetada suave al cuerpo es muy divertido!

No te preocupes... saben el "cuerpo de hierro" y lo aguantan sin problema!

Couldn't have answered it better, and thank you so much for the advices!

akja said:
Nothing personal Jose, it seemed to have a lot of wasted movement which was not your fault because it was the nature of the techniques. Although I find most systems of Karate to be far less direct.

At this point the techniques are not functional. When you are able to dissolve the technique, which higher level Kenpoists do, the techniques will become functional. Even at a higher level, I would still see the wasted movement.

OK thanks for your advice. I don't think it's something to do when the techniques are used in a real situation, but more like extra moves that are added for demonstration purposes.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
profesormental said:
The first step was to show the nature of the attack... I tend to do somethig similar to allow a demosntration of the effects of the attack...

I thought it probably was something like that, when it was _every_ time :)

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KenpoVzla said:
OK thanks for your advice. I don't think it's something to do when the techniques are used in a real situation, but more like extra moves that are added for demonstration purposes.

Can you give an example?

ammonihah99

White Belt
Reaction score
It looks good, here's some advice. If I were in your shoes I would slow it down. It looks like you've got great speed but speed is virtually useless without power and precision. Speed only comes secondary and it comes naturally. Also I would work my base and structure. How solid would you be if the attacker was really coming at your head? One more thing, if I was you and the start-overs were not intentional but hesitations, I would learn to do something, anything. "He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position." - Ed Parker Oh and on the knife attacks, once I made contact, I would never let go of that knife, or the attacker's hand holding the knife. Knives scare me, I want absolute control.

Some free advice, take it for what it's worth. :)

Ammon

OP
KenpoVzla

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Can you give an example?

Here, take a look at this video:

On the first self defense, right around 0:09 or so. See all those really fast hand strikes in there?

That's what I'm talking about.

Spaniard said:
Buen hecho! Gracias por compartir!:ultracool

Thanks!

ammonihah99 said:
It looks good, here's some advice. If I were in your shoes I would slow it down. It looks like you've got great speed but speed is virtually useless without power and precision. Speed only comes secondary and it comes naturally. Also I would work my base and structure. How solid would you be if the attacker was really coming at your head? One more thing, if I was you and the start-overs were not intentional but hesitations, I would learn to do something, anything. "He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position." - Ed Parker Oh and on the knife attacks, once I made contact, I would never let go of that knife, or the attacker's hand holding the knife. Knives scare me, I want absolute control.

Some free advice, take it for what it's worth. :)

Ammon

You're right. There are moves that I tend to miss when doing the techniques fast (specially in a test). Mainly knee checks are hard for me to do when doing the techniques at a faster speed.

And thanks for the advices, I will try to work on them.

Jose Garcia

Last edited by a moderator:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
KenpoVzla said:
Here, take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLXH9k3O-Cg

On the first self defense, right around 0:09 or so. See all those really fast hand strikes in there?

That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

You're right. There are moves that I tend to miss when doing the techniques fast (specially in a test). Mainly knee checks are hard for me to do when doing the techniques at a faster speed.

And thanks for the advices, I will try to work on them.

Jose Garcia
Jose, was that you? That was much better. The opponent did have some reactional movement but it was compliant so it's good for demonstrational purposes. But without the opponent having any "live" movement of his own, it remains compliant. If the opponent had "live" reactions it would of totally altered both mens footwork. If the footwork changes, so does the technique. But I do definately see some skill in your school.

OP
KenpoVzla

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
akja said:
Jose, was that you? That was much better. The opponent did have some reactional movement but it was compliant so it's good for demonstrational purposes. But without the opponent having any "live" movement of his own, it remains compliant. If the opponent had "live" reactions it would of totally altered both mens footwork. If the footwork changes, so does the technique. But I do definately see some skill in your school.

Thanks. And no, that was not me. It's Humberto Narvaez, a 3rd Degree BB representative of Vigoroux (7th Degree) here in Venezuela. I'm still a 1st Degree.

Thanks for the advices!

Latest Discussions