Reality Kenpo Technique Clips?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... However, to put things in context and to discover personal issues of your own psyche in conflict, I think its great. They do the same in self-defense courses, and in many ways, you come out of those courses better prepared after the experience because of the level of reality it brings to the emotional aspect of the training..

Wen we do our "women's self defense" course, a good portion of it is aobut the emotional capacity to do something in the face of danger. it is not unusual for some of them to become very emotional, upset, etc.

We have a few of the mroe fool-hardy (or altruistic) kenpo students come to class, pad up, and the women get to smack us around some. It seems to help. We offer 1-night and 6-night versions, in the longer version, it gets a lot mroe physcial )see my youtube page for an example, under KempoDavid)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wen we do our "women's self defense" course, a good portion of it is aobut the emotional capacity to do something in the face of danger. it is not unusual for some of them to become very emotional, upset, etc.

We have a few of the mroe fool-hardy (or altruistic) kenpo students come to class, pad up, and the women get to smack us around some. It seems to help. We offer 1-night and 6-night versions, in the longer version, it gets a lot mroe physcial )see my youtube page for an example, under KempoDavid)

Martial Science University™
SubLevel Kenpo Concepts™
Taken from the Course 102 Coursebook

ADRENAL STRESS TRAINING

Now that you have passed Course 101, and as you prepare for Course 102, you are beginning to embark upon a completely different experience. To insure a student’s ability to perform in real life situations, it is necessary to spend considerable time from this point forward, physically interacting with other students. It is only through this methodology will you begin to absorb the nuances of proper technique execution on a live active and resistant human being. The subtleties inherent in this type of study can only be understood through these “hands on” experiences.

Additionally at this level, another element will be interjected into your study. It is called Adrenal Stress Training. This component is a necessary part of our curriculum and will serve you well in your academic and physical journey to self-defense proficiency.

Up to now you have worked diligently on basic skills, and technique sequences. However, although you may feel you are beginning to feel comfortable with some of your physical movements, they are in what we call soft or “Preliminary Muscle Memory.” That is, the Synaptic Pathways you are beginning to build that are associated with your Preliminary Muscle Memory have yet to be hardened to the chemical effects of an “Adrenal Dump.” This is a natural surge of chemicals into the bloodstream in reaction to external stress and the possibility of bodily harm.

Adrenal Stress Training or AST in conjunction with continued repetitions in realistic scenarios is designed to “harden” Synaptic Pathways, and make them impervious to Adrenal Stress Syndrome or the “dump” in the heat of a confrontation. This is accomplished in two ways. First, through artificially created external verbal stimulus. Translation: You will be subjected to extreme verbal abuse. Second, your training partner will attack you with a degree of realism forcing you to perform properly. Although it is a gradual process, ultimately you will arrive at a place where you will feel comfortable with this type of training as well.

It is important you realize this type of training can and will elicit significant emotional responses from most people. This is a normal part of the training and is not to be taken personally. In the classroom, once that component of the training is over, instructors will evaluate your performance for the day in a calm way and allow your heartbeat and adrenalin levels to return to normal. Some students have been known to become angry, while others are driven to tears. This is normal. Embrace it, and work your way through it. Once you can perform a technique sequence under these conditions with consistent effectiveness, you are equally prepared for street encounters of similar circumstances.

This is the same type of training used in public safety health care, the military, and civilian law enforcement. It is a tried and true methodology used in the training of persons who may be subjected to, and be forced to perform under life and death circumstances to insure the best chances for survival.

It is the only way you can be assured without actually being attacked on the street, that you have sufficient skills, and are capable of effectively handling a situation. Therefore, it is a great confidence builder. Additionally, this continued physical interaction, will also build significant cardio vascular strength as well as mental and physical toughness.

You may at first experience Physical Shutdown. Under stress the body can “stutter and freeze” even when you mentally feel you know what to do. This is part of the effect of the Adrenal Dump. Work through it, and do the best you can. However never stop. Complete your technique to the best of your ability. If you fail, you’ll have another chance to succeed. In class, everyone fails sometimes. We deal with failure in the classroom so we don’t fail on the streets.

Although emotionally and physically demanding, you can go no further at the Martial Science University College of SubLevel Four Kenpo without this type of training. For some, it may be difficult at first. You are encouraged to communicate with other students near your rank and share experiences to better able you to cope with it. You are also encouraged to talk to instructors about what you are feeling. We want you to communicate to make your study and training a unique and productive experience. If you do that, you and the institution both succeed.

Good Luck,

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Martial Science University™
SubLevel Kenpo Concepts™
Taken from the Course 102 Coursebook

ADRENAL STRESS TRAINING
This is accomplished in two ways. First, through artificially created external verbal stimulus. Translation: You will be subjected to extreme verbal abuse. ...

It is important you realize this type of training can and will elicit significant emotional responses from most people. ... Some students have been known to become angry, while others are driven to tears. This is normal. Embrace it, and work your way through it. ...

Good Luck,

I remember well my first taste of this, and I remember thinking "what the hell happened to that guy who came to our school and was so much fun to train with???" ROFL it was tough, but even the short time I went through this I feel did have a positive effect...

Sometimes I think we should be doing more of this at our school, and sometimes I'm glad we don't. Depends on whether I am teaching or training LOL.

OK Doc, now a serious question: is this effective on younger students? (9-14 years old)? or are they not mature enough to handle it? I can think of only a handful of our child students who would be able to deal with training like this in a positive way... but that is just a guess

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I remember well my first taste of this, and I remember thinking "what the hell happened to that guy who came to our school and was so much fun to train with???" ROFL it was tough, but even the short time I went through this I feel did have a positive effect...

Sometimes I think we should be doing more of this at our school, and sometimes I'm glad we don't. Depends on whether I am teaching or training LOL.

OK Doc, now a serious question: is this effective on younger students? (9-14 years old)? or are they not mature enough to handle it? I can think of only a handful of our child students who would be able to deal with training like this in a positive way... but that is just a guess

I don't think many adults can handle it. LOL