Kenpo technique video clips. Any comments?

L

lonekimono10

well now if you guys want to talk about me it's not nice to say bad things about someone ,and by the way what to you mean i have a BIG GUT and talking about my rank??? what did i do to have people talk about ME like that.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
well now if you guys want to talk about me it's not nice to say bad things about someone ,and by the way what to you mean i have a BIG GUT and talking about my rank??? what did i do to have people talk about ME like that.

No offense Mr. Elmer. Mine's as big as yours. And, I don't dispute any individual's Kenpo rank.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
Now, keeping in mind my own background had some skeletons in the closet...

It's all about the red bars. Too many guys in kenpo walking around wearing the same rank Parker wore in his last days with us. Only a handful of men have the background to wear them...years of close training and relationship with the founder of American Kenpo. Even among the closest disciples, there are some who won't approach wearing a 10th. Like Clyde said once...if you're doing your own thing, wear your own thing. Wearing the Parker kenpo indicators places your self with Parker. Far cry.

Regards,

Dave

L

lonekimono10

i'm sorry i took it the wrong way , but Alan you have got to send me a picture of yourself, or if you hav a web site i'll go there and look,(bald head do u really?):)

L

lonekimono10

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:

It's all about the red bars. Too many guys in kenpo walking around wearing the same rank Parker wore in his last days with us. Only a handful of men have the background to wear them...years of close training and relationship with the founder of American Kenpo. Even among the closest disciples, there are some who won't approach wearing a 10th. Like Clyde said once...if you're doing your own thing, wear your own thing. Wearing the Parker kenpo indicators places your self with Parker. Far cry.

Regards,

Dave

Well Dave i think that would be better to say to some others,but if you go to my site then you will see what i'm about, and look at this whe Mr Parker
was still here it was not like it is today, but i don't see anyone saying anything about what the rest of Parkers right hand men,and what they did when he died,
and i want to say this i teach" American chinese kenpo" yes i know Parker kenpo, but i don't give rank in AK,only ackks. now who was the frist one to put the double bars on when Mr Parker passed ?? mmmm now who could that be?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the record, I personally am a tad sensitive about anyone wearing the double bars attributed to Ed Parker's rank. Although many would insist they are not doing any version of Ed Parker's Kenpo, the "double bar" rank is directly from Mr. Parker's method of designating rank. No one wore it before him, (the idea origintes with Sibok Tom Kelly) and unfortunately, many are wearing it now. As far as I'm concerned, no one is qualified. (I told you I was sensitive about it)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:

Regards,

Dave

Since this thread appears to be taking a slightly different direction I would like to say that...I said it before...and I'll say it again...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8067&highlight=time+promote+kenpo+grandmasters

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
Since the passing of Ed Parker more than a few of the most-senior Kenpo grandmasters have ascended to 10th Dan. Some in the Kenpo community believe that only Mr. Parker deserves 10th Dan and that any other 10th Dan promotions are disrespectful of Mr. Parker's great achievements.

As all who wear the two large red-bands upon their belt are far above me in skill, achievement, experience, and contribution, I am unable and unwilling to dispute any of these promotions. Certainly, these Senior Kenpoists are now and have been making significant contributions to keeping the Kenpo flame going. Certainly these Seniors are continuing to improve their skill, knowledge, and teaching and deserve recognition for this.

As our grandmasters continue to grow in the art, certainly their rank must grow as well. So what do we do to recognize the likes of Mr. Larry Tatum and Mr. Frank Trejo and their peers 10 or 20 years from now if they continue to innovate, contribute and grow at their current pace? It seems that the best way to do this is to bestow additonal rank. I strongly urge the Kenpo community to establish an 11th Dan ranking for the future recognition and promotion of the leaders of our style.

But that brings me back to the point that many Kenpoists believe that only Mr. Parker deserves 10th Dan and that no others can achieve his greatness within Kenpo. If you accept this, and accept my earlier proposition that our current grandmasters need recognition for their future growth, then you must also agree that Mr. Parker should immediately be promoted to 12th Dan.

Furthermore, as our current grandmasters progress further and their disciples eclipse their achievments in the future, additional room needs to be created at the top. As our style continues to prosper, grow and improve, we should see new pinnacles of proficiency. Perhaps every 10 years, we create another Dan level such as 13th, 14th, 15th etc. and continue to posthumously promote Mr. Parker so that he remains one level above the current seniors. By this method, Mr. Parker would be say a 22nd Dan in the year 2100 and maybe a 30th Dan by the year 2200.

I welcome your thoughts on this.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok, i have a question on this sensitive subject.
does the fact that someone created their own system make them a master, and should that person hold the rank of judan (from my knowledge, this rank in japan was usually awarded after a great master died in respect of their contributions)?
personally, i think judan is something that should be awarded by a group of ones peers as acknowldgement of both skill and continuing contribution to the education of "all" martial artists.
i say all martial artists simply because when one has such a high level of skill, their teaching usually transcends stylistic boundries and offers all students something of substance to learn in their personal art.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
does the fact that someone created their own system make them a master, and should that person hold the rank of judan (from my knowledge, this rank in japan was usually awarded after a great master died in respect of their contributions)?
personally, i think judan is something that should be awarded by a group of ones peers as acknowldgement of both skill and continuing contribution to the education of "all" martial artists.
i say all martial artists simply because when one has such a high level of skill, their teaching usually transcends stylistic boundries and offers all students something of substance to learn in their personal art.

I believe Judan was awarded posthumously to Jigoro Kano the founder of Judo. I do not believe anyone else in any Japanese style was ever awarded this rank.

But this is America and we are a free country! And if we want to promote each other to 12th degree then I say G_d Bless America!!!

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
well, while we're in the business of changing the topic at hand...

OFK...nice mug

lonekimono...why the 10th degree? why did you create your own organization based upon material of the last 2 belts? it seems you followed the Parker curriculum all the way up to brown and then made some new stuff. i know this is an entirely new discussion altogether but...oh well.

american chinese?

i'm sorry, i'll stop now.

back to the topic at hand, irregardless of how you look at it, the videos posted claim it's orgin as American Kenpo. it is not. it sucks. if this is what the virgin public views American Kenpo as, then we all have a pretty bad rep already. what is clearly shown as Five Swords is not. i'm sorry, a block/check and 4 chops on the chest is NOT Five Swords. don't call it what it clearly is not!

there is much to be learned from this sort of bizarre behavior. learn from it what you wish. call it what you wish. the truth lies elsewhere.

L

lonekimono10

Sapper i don't know what you are looking at, when it comes to my teq's
oh and another thing "American chinese" (and you should have done your homework) the American part of it is from Parker Kenpo, the chinese part of it is from Tracy kenpo.
now i see that you were born in 1978, so if that is when you were born what year did you START YOUR TRAINING IN KENPO? you see what i mean????
now don't get mad when i say this, but young man i was doing kenpo
when you were still playing with toys,so before you start saying stuff about other people in the arts look and see who they are and what there backgroung is.
and sapper i was 10 when i started kenpo that was in 1965.

have a good day

Reactions: MJS

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
correct howard. my reference to Five Swords is directed back at the original topic of this thread, not at Elmer.

Mr Elmer, no offense taken. i respect the fact you have so many years behind what you do. still not as many as others, especially the few who still hold reverence for the Senior Grandmaster title in Kenpo.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
Yet the higher in rank you are the more signitures you have.
A shotokan looks more like a Shotokan stylist
A Kenpo man looks more Kenpo
Etc
Each system has its own take on basics, presentation of techniques
Allthough a high ranking Kenpoist might incorporate throws into his system he will perform, enter into and finish like a Kenpo Guy not so much a Judo Guy. Sure there will be similiarities in postures. by the same token there are similarties between a Airplane and a car!
BTW the techine in the red dragon video still suck

L

lonekimono10

i'm going to be in touch with the guy who teachers that stuff, and like i said early on maybe he will see what motion is all about,
when i get there the frist thing i will look at is the star block, and short one,
and then i will go from there, (i love to see what the N.bow looks like)

Latest Discussions