Kenpo Magazine

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Has there ever been a monthy martial arts magazine for kenpo or is there one now that I don't know about?

They have one for many other martial arts, why not Kenpo?

Thanks

M

M F

I have never heard of a magazine devoted exclusively to Kenpo. There was however a magazine a few years back, called Full Contact that had a section titled "The American Way". The articles were about Kenpo knife methods. The writer, I believe was one of Mike Pick's senior black belts. This magazine went out of circulation after only a year or two in print. Too bad, I believe it was the best martial arts publication to date.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by M F
I have never heard of a magazine devoted exclusively to Kenpo. There was however a magazine a few years back, called Full Contact that had a section titled "The American Way". The articles were about Kenpo knife methods. The writer, I believe was one of Mike Pick's senior black belts. This magazine went out of circulation after only a year or two in print. Too bad, I believe it was the best martial arts publication to date.

Agreed,

I picked up all of the published issues on EBay from a guy in Canada about 7 or 8 months ago. It focused primarily on martial artists in the Pacific Northwest..

jb:asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's cool you guys mention that. My current instructor Don Smith wrote those "American Way" articles. He also had an online magazine called Fighting Systems. I have all of the articles from the online publication. If you guys would be interested in seeing some of those just let me know and I can post some of em here.

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please post a link, I would love to read them.

Thanks

K

Kenpomachine

Yes, you can post a link to the magazine, and then some of the articles here if Mr. Smith allows it :)

We'll be very grateful :asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, he no longer has the magazine online so there is no link. He dropped the magazine because he found he didn't have enouph time to run the magazines and teach; soooo he dropped the magazine so he could run his studio. Lucky for me and the rest of the guys at the studio :D I do however have all of the articles on disc and would be more than happy to post some of them for you guys. I asked Mr. Smith about sharing the information before and he said that's what it's for. Here's one of the American Way articles he's done, let me know what you guys think. Sorry, I tried to paste the pics from the article but no can do, maybe one of you computer guys can help me out.

The Kenpo Knife

By Don Smith

There are many weapons that are used in Kenpo, but no other weapon can take advantage of more concepts and principles of motion than the Kenpo knife. There is something about the beauty and power of steel in motion that draws many users to it as their training weapon of choice. This weapon has strength and versatility, and by using the blade as an extension of the body, it can easily be applied to all motion, from the embryonic to the most intricate of techniques. What can be done empty-hand can also be done with a knife. Much of what can be done with the knife, however, cannot be done empty-hand. In other words, the blade adds a new dimension to one's skill.

The Kenpo knife is based on self defense, survival and the preservation of life. It is a weapon of last resort and used after other methods become impractical. It will improve survivability against another knife, and can be an equalizer in a multiple-attack situation. But, because it is an edged weapon that can cause excessive damage, it is usually only taught to experienced, long-time players in the art. The knife covers the most brutal aspects of the Kenpo system. It appears to be especially brutal because of the way it is applied and the number of follow-ups that are executed during training. These moves are not necessarily meant to overkill the opponent, but to over-skill the practitioner.

ATTRIBUTES OF THE KENPO KNIFE

There are many design features needed to make a good Kenpo knife. Since Kenpo is a tailored system, the weapon should be tailored to an individual style of fighting, method of training or to an individual need. Master knifemaker, Gil Hibben, designed a knife for Ed Parker as his black belt thesis. It was designed to Ed Parker's specifications, to take into consideration the application of movement that is found in Kenpo. The Parker Knife personified the Kenpo knife, and has set the standard for other Kenpo fighting-knife designs.

Whatever the design or style of the knife, it should be easy to carry. If a knife or knife sheath is too long, it will interfere with your ability to move effectively and can get in the way when running. A poorly positioned knife can get in the way of elbows when moving the arms, and the leg and hip joints when kicking.

The Kenpo knife must be quick and easy for access and draw. Timing is everything; if the knife cannot be drawn within one second, in most cases, it may be too late. You will usually have a little more time in grappling situations.

There are many schools of thought on blade length. Some like a long blade, such as a Bowie, to give them the obvious reach advantage that will give them the edge in knife-dueling. Some prefer the small, compact fighting folder, such as the Spyderco Delica, for its quick access and practicality in tight fighting. You can't argue with any of these guys because these knives work well for their intended purposes. The knife must be best suited to the intended use.

The Kenpo knife is mainly used in close quarters. The dynamics of the art require a strong blade for chopping and slashing and a point designed for maximum penetration. The blade must also be strong enough to with-stand the stress of fulcrum-type maneuvers against the skeletal structure and body from both the width and the side of the blade. It must be quick and easy to maneuver and must be able to instantly change directions without hanging up. The design that best fits the bill is the mid to large size Bowie knife. The actual blade length should be tailored to the individual because we don't want it to hinder our natural body movements. The secondary consideration is to choose a blade that is long enough to deal with long- to mid-range encounters.

A partially serrated edge is also nice to have. It increases the cutting power, which allows for greater speed of movement. It can cut through heavy clothing, making strikes more effective and eliminating wasted movements. A partial double edge or sharpened false edge will add the ability to utilize reverse or return motions (that are commonly used in Kenpo) more efficiently.

The handle or grip must be ergonomic and pleasing to the individual. It must be quick and easy to control when changing from a standard to a reverse grip. I prefer a textured, nonslip handle, which provides positive control when in motion. The butt or pommel should be slightly rounded, beveled or pointed for striking common target areas such as the temple, the solar plexus and nerve points.

KNIFE APPLICATIONS

Kenpo utilizes many attributes of the knife. A double-edge blade takes advantage of the forward and reverse motion found in Kenpo technique and the universal pattern of motion as developed by Ed Parker. This double edge is also applied in moves with quick directional changes when cutting. With rapid changes in motion from circular to lineal movement and vice versa, slashing moves convert to thrusts and thrusts convert to strikes.

Slashing is one of the best defensive methods to disarm or deter an attacker. Slashing strikes are very fast and take many different paths of action. It can move from contact range to out-of-contact range quickly and more safely than most other methods. Targeting specific points of the hand and arm can cause nerve, tendon and muscle damage that will cause the attacker to drop his weapon. These slashing movements will also cover a larger area that can create a greater margin for error when intercepting an attack. Slashing or cutting can produce excessive bleeding that will have an immediate effect on the attacker's mental state. It will likely draw attention to his injuries and away from you. This can give you the opportunity to escape.

Thrusting strikes are primarily used to penetrate internal targets. Poking is used for surface targets and nerve points. Although the method of delivery is the same, the depth of penetration will vary depending on the intended target. Study of the anatomy is an important part of Kenpo knife training. The purpose is to learn about the affect of knife wounds and determine how to avoid lethal target areas.

Punching is another effective method. Punching with the knife in your hand increases the weight, force and density of a strike. This is like having a roll of quarters in your hand when delivering a punch. It holds true with back knuckle strikes as well.

The butt of the handle is also a very effective weapon. Holding the blade in a standard grip, the butt can be used most effectively when striking in a downward or sideways hammering motion to targets such as the temple, clavicle, nose and so on. In a reverse grip, the knife is best utilized in an upward or side motion.

Fulcruming is often used in transitions of motion. The purpose of fulcruming is to use the blade as a lever to break bones and manipulate the opponent in one fashion or another. For example, if the knife is thrust between the two lowest ribs, a downward prying action will break the weakest rib. Again, remember, this is a technique that would only be used as a last option to protect your life.

Hooking is also used to control or to take the opponent to the ground. We can hook the arm, leg or side of the neck with the top, side or edge of the blade. This gives better leverage and control when moving the opponent forward, back, down or to rotate him sideways. If the handle is long enough, it can also be used in the same way.

If the knife is thrust deep into the leg or shoulder, it can be used as a handle to move the opponent around where you want him. This makes it easier to use him as a shield, take him down or adjust him to a position where he is no longer a threat.

Flicking with the point of the blade is primarily a defensive move to dis arm or distract the attacker. A flick to the arm will cause enough damage and pain to slow or eliminate the use of that weapon-arm and hand.

Scrapping is used in the process of checking or sliding from one part of the body to another. A serrated or saw-tooth portion of the blade is pulled or pushed sideways until another part of the weapon (blade, point, butt or handle) strikes the next available target. This method is used in conjunction with the principle of contact maintenance, as described in a previous issue (FULL CONTACT, June 1994). Another method that uses the same principle is called ripping, where the point of the blade is pulled or pushed sideways in the same manner.

This covers only a few of the methods and applications of the Kenpo knife. The knife comes alive when these methods are applied in combinations with the dynamics of Kenpo. Knife strikes are integrated with knees, elbows and other strikes that are delivered from every conceivable angle. It looks like a whirlwind of steel in motion. It is difficult to imagine that something so beautiful to watch can also be so deadly.

Knife-training is very enjoyable and can help to develop exceptional skill, speed and coordination. It is also the best way to learn how to defend against a knife. The knife is a very ominous weapon. It is very difficult to stop. It can change directions very quickly and can penetrate multiple targets in a blink of an eye. Those who have trained in knife-sparring understand how difficult and dangerous it is to defend against a knife, and why most traditional unarmed knife defense techniques will not work in a realistic attack. That's why training with a knife, and knife-sparring with training knives can give you a greater insight on their capabilities and your best options on how to defend against knife attacks. This also will teach you about important factors such as distance and zoning. These lessons are best learned through practice and experience. They come through sweat and hard work because this, of course, is the American Way.

K

Kenpomachine

Thank you for the article :asian:

By the way, there's some free web servers that allows you to keep the material even though you don't maintain the site anymore.

And there's a lot of us that maintain websites of our own and I'm sure most of us will be very happy to have them for the rest of the kenpoists to see :) Well, at least, I for one, would surely be.

W

WhiteTiger

While visiting one of the Senior Masters at his home he showed me a collection of old Kenpo Magazines, written and published by "Mr. Ed Parker"

Before I tell this story let me first be clear, I am telling it as told to me by another. None of the following information was ever witnessed by me, or confirmed by another source.

The story goes that Black Belt Magazine did an interview and article on Mr. Parker, in the interview Mr. Parker claimed the rank of 3rd Degree Black Belt. Later Black Blet Magazine came to Mr. Parker with the complaint that someone had challanged the authenticity of Mr. Parkers claim on rank. Mr. Parker was told that he must produce his rank certification or Black Belt would print a retraction of the article. Mr. Parker not having such documentation was forced to go back to Mr. Chow and ask for the rank certification. Appearantly Mr. Parker and Mr. Chow were not the best of friends at the time and Mr. Chow refused the rank unless "Compensated". Mr. Parker having little choice had to compensate Mr. Chow for the rank.

To compete with Black Belt and part of Mr. Chow's compensation Mr. Parker started his own magazine in which he frequently praised Mr. Chow's ability and instruction. As Mr. Parker found the publishing business to be very expensive there were only 9 issues of the magazine published.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Contouring

By Don Smith

There are many methods used in Kenpo that are applied to improve and refine fighting techniques. One of the methods used is termed "contouring." When utilized, it enhances your speed, power, timing and accuracy. This concept can give you greater obscurity of movement and improve sensitivity and control when engaged.

The concept of contouring uses the shape or outline of either your body or your opponent's as a guide when delivering a block, strike or kick. Contouring is applied in two main forms: body contact and noncontact. The purpose of both of these methods are similar. Contact actions generally maintain contact with the body through the course of motion, from the beginning to the end of a confrontation. Noncontact methods follow angles and symmetry lines of the body, but do not normally make actual contact.

"Tracking" is a term used to describe one of the primary methods used in contouring. This is where the natural weapon (punch or strike) rides from one point of the opponent's body to another target as if it were riding on a pre-laid track. For example, if you block to the inside of an attacker's punch, you can track upwards along the opponent's arm with your hand or forearm, striking the side of the neck, jaw hinge or temple, depending upon which target you elect, or the one that comes open during movement. At the end of any given track there are normally multiple targets available from which to choose.

A large part of the concept of contouring lies in its defensive aspects. Tracking down the opponent's limbs with our natural weapons creates a wall between ourselves and the opponent's weapons. In most cases, this form of checking can be maintained from the beginning to the end of our movement. This also helps to create additional openings on the opponent while providing us with a much better position to avoid being "tagged" ourselves. I have found this to work especially well inside, at close range, when sparring.

By maintaining contact with the body while tracking, we obtain greater sensitivity to our opponent's movements and intentions. It is like having radar or an early warning system that gives us hard intelligence on the opponent and his intentions. Many of an opponent's moves may occur outside of our peripheral vision. What you can't see can hurt you. Weapon-to-body contact (your weapon or limb as applied to the opponent's body) is very effective as a primary sensor. Body-to-weapon contact (the opponent's weapon or limb in contact with your body) is very dangerous. It also becomes very difficult to anticipate your attacker's next move or moves.

Contouring also makes it easier to accurately hit a target that is already in motion. Once we engage on the track, we can follow it to our destination target. If you have the correct angle and position, it should be difficult for the opponent to derail your weapon, there by evading the strike.

You might imagine how effective this can be if you are in partial or total darkness, or if you've been temporarily blinded. A good way to practice this method of contouring is to execute a favorite training drill or self-defense technique with a partner while having your eyes closed or blindfolded. This training activity helps to develop sensitivity without relying on vision. You should also spar blindfolded. Once contact is made, try to maintain weapon-to-body contact as long as possible. The body's lines make for a great "road map" in one's search for targets--or in intercepting incoming strikes. Naturally, wear the appropriate protective equipment when undertaking this form of training, and only one of you should be blindfolded.

The facet of contouring that I like best is the obscurity of motion that it provides. As mentioned, it is extremely difficult for an opponent to deal with an attack that he cannot see or sense until it is too late. By using the opponent's body lines as a guide, we will discover paths that are outside of his peripheral vision. We can also apply what is called "object obscurity." This is where part of either your body or your opponent's is used to mask your own movements. This makes your intentions hard to detect and is most effective in trapping range. Experiment with this concept when sparring. If done correctly, your opponent will never know what hit him.

Another product of contouring is speed. This is one reason that Kenpo players are so darned fast. Contouring promotes continuity, and continuity promotes speed. In many cases, tracking can give us the shortest distance between our incoming weapon and the most available target. The shorter the distance we have to travel, the sooner we arrive. For example, if you draw a straight line using a ruler, you will create a more perfect line than if you attempted by free-hand. For circular motion we can use the body lines to contour our movement and strikes as if it (the opponent's body) were a master template. Clean lines and clean arcs of motion are the result. For combination strikes, speed can be increased by riding up and down the contours of the body, rolling from one open target to the next without interruption.

Contouring our own body when delivering a strike also increases power. By using our body as a guide, we align our weapons faster and more accurately. A properly aligned weapon (fist, elbow, kick, headbutt) positions the maximum amount of body mass directly behind the point of contact of the weapon. When our natural weapons are positioned close to our body, greater use of body mass and rotational force can be applied because the weapon is positioned closer to our center of gravity. You can test this premise by using force-measuring devices such as the Impax, or by board breaking or hitting a heavy bag. When evaluating this concept, be sure to impact the target perpendicular to the path of your strike.

When training, it is important to keep your movements close to your body. This is also true for knife training or working with sticks or the staff. It is possible to lose a weapon very quickly if movements are too large and too far away from your body to effectively control and recover.

A few years ago, Jason Powell, one of my advanced students, was training with a samurai sword. When he first began training with this weapon, his moves were executed far away from his body and were very mechanical in nature. After a few months, we applied the concept of contouring to his motion. Jason's proficiency with the weapon improved dramatically. His lines and movements became cleaner, crisper and more controlled and accurate. People were amazed at how closely and quickly he could maneuver the sword to his body without injury to himself. in my professional opinion, Jason would be a top contender if he elected to compete in weapons competition. Today, he is serving his country in the Armed Forces.

When one element that affects motion is executed correctly, it will create a chain reaction that will perfunctorily correct other components that affect motion at the same time. By teaching over the years, I have noted that proper head position improves posture, posture improves balance and improved balance aids in mobility. This, then, improves speed, speed improves power and all things come into both focus and perfect flow when confrontation arises. Contouring falls into this same category. Applying contouring can--and will--correct many flaws in your motion and technique. If you keep this in mind during training, you will see a dramatic improvement in your overall skills, as well as the skills of those around you.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhiteTiger
While visiting one of the Senior Masters at his home he showed me a collection of old Kenpo Magazines, written and published by "Mr. Ed Parker"

Before I tell this story let me first be clear, I am telling it as told to me by another. None of the following information was ever witnessed by me, or confirmed by another source.

The story goes that Black Belt Magazine did an interview and article on Mr. Parker, in the interview Mr. Parker claimed the rank of 3rd Degree Black Belt. Later Black Blet Magazine came to Mr. Parker with the complaint that someone had challanged the authenticity of Mr. Parkers claim on rank. Mr. Parker was told that he must produce his rank certification or Black Belt would print a retraction of the article. Mr. Parker not having such documentation was forced to go back to Mr. Chow and ask for the rank certification. Appearantly Mr. Parker and Mr. Chow were not the best of friends at the time and Mr. Chow refused the rank unless "Compensated". Mr. Parker having little choice had to compensate Mr. Chow for the rank.

To compete with Black Belt and part of Mr. Chow's compensation Mr. Parker started his own magazine in which he frequently praised Mr. Chow's ability and instruction. As Mr. Parker found the publishing business to be very expensive there were only 9 issues of the magazine published.

Nice story but pure fanatasy, and I'm glad you included your personal disclaimer. The Uyehara Brothers were close personal friends with Ed Parker. We used to visit them in their homes in Compton California. Nice guys who, when they decided to start "Martial Arts Supply" and Black Belt Magazine, they asked Parker to be a part of the venture. Parker was just beginning to travel, was consumed when his then new International Karate Championships and conceded he knew nothing about the publishing business and declind their offer.

However they still chose to feature Ed Parker as the most prominent martial artist in the very first Black Belt Magazine. Because they were close personal friends the idea of rank was never an issue, and Black Belt always had a disclaimer anyway about all ranks, techniqes, etc in the magazine as they still do today. I was given a copy of the first issue by them and it featured a story on the "Black belt Mormon." Parker throughout his life time was always prominently featured in all of their magazines with rank never being an issue.

Later on when the company began to be really successful, the magazine and martial arts supply business was split between the two brothers as two independent companies.

Parker was then approached by two other individuals who also wanted to start a magazine. Feeling he had missed an opportunity with Black Belt, he became a partner in "Action Karate Magazine" and was prominently featured in almost all its issues. The magazine was very well done on glossy paper and lots of color while Black Belt was being done cheaply on "newsprint" paper and mostly black and white photos.

He also saw that prominent American martial artist especially on the tournament scene and in the IKC received publicity coverage. The mag featured or did stories on Carlos Bunda, Ralph Castellanos, Joe Lewis, Chuck Norris, Mile Stone, Tom Kelly, Ron Marchini, Steve Sanders, etc. while Black Belt Mag at the time had a very distinctive "Asian Culture" feel and coverage.

So you see, the magazine was started as a pure business venture, nothing else. Ultimately his partners folded and the magazine went under producing only about 6 issues.

Mr. Parker's rank has never been an issue with anyone and his substantial rank was acknowledged by all, including Chow without compensation, and awarded by his senior under Chow, Grandmaster Adriano Emperado of Kajukenbo.

There are lots of stories that float around, many while he was still alive but many more now that he's not with us. Most of them come from and are spread by people who never met the man. Tell the "senior master" that you can be sure, that is just one of those "stories" with no basis in fact whatsoever. I'm surprized more didn't have something to say about this.

W

WhiteTiger

Doc,

Thanks for clearing this up for me. It seemed rather strange when I first heard the story, but I couldn't deny the fact that these 9 issues were right there infront of me. That is one of the reasons I decided to share it, in the hopes someone with first hand knowledge would have more to say about it.

Thanks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Doc,

Thanks for clearing this up for me. It seemed rather strange when I first heard the story, but I couldn't deny the fact that these 9 issues were right there infront of me. That is one of the reasons I decided to share it, in the hopes someone with first hand knowledge would have more to say about it.

Thanks

Thanks for bringing it to light.

S

Straight Blast

I have some old Kenpo magazines from the late 60s I believe, there was only 6 issues, I believe again. Most of them got water damaged, but a couple are in fair shape. One has a add for a batan or bataka and Mr Planas is in it as a brown belt. Now I'm going to dig these out to see if It was Mr.Parker who produced these. I wish they were in good shape, they probably would have some collectable value. Does anyone have any info on where I can replace these? Respectfully Joe Cates

Latest Discussions