Kenpo class

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just had my first Kenpo class last friday night, it was interesting and certanly my TKD background served me in the aplication of the Kenpo techs. TKD and Kenpo have similarities but diferent aproaches, I mean in TKD we use the block and then the counter (puch or kick) to disable our oponent, we can use sweeps or take downs if need it, in Kenpo as long as I see in this first exposure is the blows are target to specific points and more than a single punch or kick is used to finish the oponent.

For the moment it seems to me Kenpo has more SD techs tan TKD in the average class, the TKD has more power (kicks) and the Kenpo has more speed it can be a good mix put both together.

Manny

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
welcome to my world. thats what i teach at my place.

TKD first, for power and basics

Kenpo for self defense

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
welcome to my world. thats what i teach at my place.

TKD first, for power and basics

Kenpo for self defense

I guess it really does boil down to the school & instructor more than the style.

My journey began as a kid and I've studied TKD, karate, jiu-jitsu, and even military combatives.

I feel that not only my basics but ability to generate power were greatly improved when I took up kenpo; especially due to the in depth study of the principles behind why things work the way they do and learning to apply them in practice.

I do agree with Manny, based on my personal experience, that kenpo focuses more on self defense and that TKD is great for developing kicks. It can make for a great mix.

Any training you walk away from having gained something is good training. Glad you had a positive learning experience! :)