Hard habits to break....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
No... is not the song by Chicago band I'm talking about your unconscius reflexes.

Maybe this is not entirely related to this subforum but it has some TKD. Last night went to kenpo class and we revised some of the yellow belt techs, we did 4 or 5 techs and at the end of the class sensei ask us to set up a street scenario againts 3 bad guys using the techs we saw in class, so I took my 3 techs did them in my mind and said I was ready.

Firsth I did in slow motion to show the class how the BGs will try to get me and how I will defend myself, then I proced it.

Well.... of the three programed techs I did I only one Kenpo tech the other two was some kind of TKD self techs. It's dificult to me make the switch, believe me, even I defend myself succesfully over stress my body/mind reacts with the old stuff, it was funy cause one of the agressors was the sensei and he was waiting to me to do GLACING SALUTE and the way I reactioned was blocking the punch/grabing his forearm, kicking (roundhouse) his stomach to sweep his front leg and then deliver a face punch in the floor.

My performance was so fast that I realice I was using TKD self defense techs when it was done. This is not the first time.

Can we aply here the old saying.... if is not broken... why fix it? I think my korean moves will be very dificult to change, that's the way my mind and body reacts, I am conditioned to unconsciusly work that way!!

At the end it was reconforting to see I did it well, but I was alittle shame because it was not entirely kenpo.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
over time (years) your body will become used to the kenpo techs. and you will use them more. The old Korean ones that you do not use all of the time will be repplaced with the ones you practice all the time.
Some old techs will be with you as longe as you are in the martial arts, the body and mind seem to like them and they never go away

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's hard to serve two masters.

I had a lot of problems with stances and blocks too when I switched from tae kwon do to goju-ryu karate many years ago. Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of stylistic differences for looks, the tighter motions in goju-ryu are designed that way to further the goals of the system, which is generally to close in with the foe and acquire a unbalancing hold on the way to a finishing strike.

I have no problems with cross-training and I even recommend it to advanced students like yourself. However, I usually suggest combining a grappling system with a striking one, instead of learning two striking systems. Less confusion that way, and the skills you learn in the second art will complement rather than contradict your prior learning.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's hard to serve two masters.

I had a lot of problems with stances and blocks too when I switched from tae kwon do to goju-ryu karate many years ago. Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of stylistic differences for looks, the tighter motions in goju-ryu are designed that way to further the goals of the system, which is generally to close in with the foe and acquire a unbalancing hold on the way to a finishing strike.

I have no problems with cross-training and I even recommend it to advanced students like yourself. However, I usually suggest combining a grappling system with a striking one, instead of learning two striking systems. Less confusion that way, and the skills you learn in the second art will complement rather than contradict your prior learning.

You are right as usual Dancingalone about cross-training cobining a grapling system with a strike one, I have realize this so, I am looking foward aikido (cause there is no HapKido here in my city).

When I got into Kenpo was to enhance my TKD, I've never thought quit TKD cause this is my MA.

Anyway I'm in the path of growing, let's se if I find some aikido dojo near and compatible with my schedule.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are right as usual Dancingalone about cross-training cobining a grapling system with a strike one, I have realize this so, I am looking foward aikido (cause there is no HapKido here in my city).

When I got into Kenpo was to enhance my TKD, I've never thought quit TKD cause this is my MA.

Anyway I'm in the path of growing, let's se if I find some aikido dojo near and compatible with my schedule.

Manny

At the same time, your study with the kenpo school has been only a matter of months, right? I would immerse myself completely into kenpo for a much longer period of time before I make a decision about whether it would work for me or not. There's a saying in the US that probably comes from Britain: In for a penny, in for a pound.

Good luck with your martial pursuits, Manny.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the same time, your study with the kenpo school has been only a matter of months, right? I would immerse myself completely into kenpo for a much longer period of time before I make a decision about whether it would work for me or not. There's a saying in the US that probably comes from Britain: In for a penny, in for a pound.

Good luck with your martial pursuits, Manny.

Thank you very much I will take your words and think things wise.

Manny