old school (kwan) class

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only one guy and two women came last night to dojang, sabonim was out and this lefth me with the dojang for my own, so I jumped in the old kwan wagon stuff, firsth I gave the students a little speech where I told them I knew their lack of techs (basically the advanced ones) because's dojangs curriculum was chopped down in some point but it was my clear intention to teach the things they don't know and make an effort to them.

So basically we began with the basics: stances, blocks, etc and then we proced to hand techs and their aplications, we did han-sonnal mok chigi, batan-son chigi, me-chumock chigi and the clasical slap to the face that I love to teach because in some point a good slap to the face locate to the ear can be very efective.

The students were impresed because they saw their hand techs can be even more powerful (aplying the torque) than the single reverse punch.

To finish the class we pocus in the three basic kicks but using only a small focus mitt at solar plexus to do trusting ap-chagis and yop-chagis and then using the focus mitt at tigh level perform dollyo-chagis aimed to this part or the body so painfull. The students realiced that a low kick can be very devastating to not only disrupting the basis of the oponent but to destroy the tigh muscle and delivery permanent pain.

The two women noticed that even their lack of upper strenght they can use their feet to put down a man using the correct technike.

I really liked the class because I taught the small class to use TKD as a tool to defend themselves and not only to win madals or trophies.

Manny

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite small class:

A few months ago I attended a similar class -- an adult evening class when just a few students (myself included) showed up. Our instructor (a former K-Tiger) decided to do something fun with the class, so we worked on getting more "snap" into our punches. He brought out a table and put candles on the table; we had to punch at the candle flames (without touching the flames) to extinguish the flames. Maybe a little silly, but it was a fun class, and it really did get you thinking about how to make more snap! With practice, we were eventually all able to punch-out the flames.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
sounds like a good class, hopefully there will be more good classes
best of luck

Latest Discussions