Which way do you learn???

• I learn better Visually

• I learn better Auditory

• I learn better Kinesthetic

• Im a stud and can do any on one leg, eyes closed, without much thought

Results are only viewable after voting.
B

brianhunter

Me and a good friend (Jeff) where talking about how people learn and how we are so different in learning (almost exact opposites to be frank).

I have taught High School art (substitue teaching) and the D.A.R.E. curriculum (5th graders) for a couple of years I have learned several tools to help communicate to the different types of learners; Auditory, Visual, and Kinestetic. Alot of these methods or concepts i think would apply in teaching Kenpo.

What methods of training or teaching have you guys tried to appeal to all 3 learning types and and how successful have you been at getting your students to combine better ways of learning themselves? For instance Im more auditory and Visual as opposed to kinesthetic and Im really working on that.

Anything would be a help in many aspects.

OP
B

brianhunter

Buehler???.....Buehler??? Ferris Buehler???!?

Fry???...Fry??...Cameron Fry????

OP
M

matthewgreenland

I like all methods -

However- my favorite - is to FEEL it. Especially techs.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to watch senseis doing a technique on one person slowly, and talking me through what they're doing as then do it; then I like to watch it a bit faster to get the rhythm of it.

I find it hard to learn from either people doing things on air, or from books/websites, it just doesn't stick!

I also like to sit back and watch a hall full of people sparring, you can learn loads that way. Then people are shocked when you block all their favourite moves and exploit all their weaknesses :)

Ian.

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by satans.barber

I like to watch senseis doing a technique on one person slowly, and talking me through what they're doing as then do it; then I like to watch it a bit faster to get the rhythm of it.

This works for me too.:asian:

OP
J

jeffkyle

All three are needed to enhance the learning process effectively. There are some that can figure things out by the individual one of the 3. But for the most part it is good to try to get all three involved when teaching someone. Tell them about it, show them how it works, and then have then perform it for themselves. and not only that but with repitition of course.
I personally like to see something done, then feel how it works by having it done to me, and by me doing it to someone else.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Sigung86

So ... We have been rummaging in the NLP bag o' tricks? eh???

Dan

You lost me there Mr. Farmer

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
NeuroLinguistic Programming. One of the fundamental precepts is the three methods of learning or absorbing data from your model of reality. Great books out there on it and it really does help with your teaching abilities. Look for a few titles by Richard Bandler. There's lots of stuff on the WWW about it.

It started out as a computer study and they found ... Hey! This is like human beings. It's a great tool for psychology and communication, and understanding people's paradigm of reality and how to teach and simply communicate.

Take care,

Dan

OP
J

jeffkyle

NeuroLinguistic Programming. One of the fundamental precepts is the three methods of learning or absorbing data from your model of reality. Great books out there on it and it really does help with your teaching abilities. Look for a few titles by Richard Bandler. There's lots of stuff on the WWW about it.

It started out as a computer study and they found ... Hey! This is like human beings. It's a great tool for psychology and communication, and understanding people's paradigm of reality and how to teach and simply communicate.

Take care,

Dan

That is pretty cool. Actually i didn't know about any of that from learning it from another source. Plain ol' experience and lots of thought taught me that. :)

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle

That is pretty cool. Actually i didn't know about any of that from learning it from another source. Plain ol' experience and lots of thought taught me that. :)

This is a good thing... Now go get a couple of NLP text books and see how to apply it quickly, easily, and watch the effectiveness of your teaching increase greatly! Like Dennis indicated. There have been lots of advancements in it. No sense trying to re-invent the wheel...

Dan

OP
J

jeffkyle

This is a good thing... Now go get a couple of NLP text books and see how to apply it quickly, easily, and watch the effectiveness of your teaching increase greatly! Like Dennis indicated. There have been lots of advancements in it. No sense trying to re-invent the wheel...

Dan

I totally agree. And according to Mr. C's statement i should just hop online and check it out. :)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Repetition.. and then some.. I can watch someone do a tec and until I do it myself.. I'm rather lost.. so I do it over and over until my muscle memory recall remembers it.. I kinda envy people who can see something once and repeat it immediately.. but I'm so Right brained I don't have that gift. It's like looking at a painting.. some see the whole picture .. I see the way it was painted .. brush strokes, lighting, colors and textures.. It's the same in AK .. I don't just 'see' and 'do' .. I have to 'Experience' before I can understand.. if that makes any sense. .:)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to hit all three major learning styles when I teach a technique...

First I demonstrate (visual) and tell (auditory) the students exactly what I'm doing.

Next, I have them model me, step by step (kinesthetic) and make physical (move a hand or foot to proper placement) corrections when necessary.

I teach katas the same way. I demonstrate and tell a kata and have the student follow me. We do step one (short one, step back and block) then go back, repeat one, and add step two (step back, block, step back, block), then go back, do step one, two and then add three, until we get all the way to the end, or to a point where I think things will be forgotten if we go on because of too much information.

A good trick is not to teach too much in one day. If you think about it, write the number 7 in the middle of a piece of paper... you have no problem remembering the number you wrote, right? now fill up a whole line with random numbers.... can't remember them all, right? The human brain, especially now with television and all, is trained to work in small "sound bites" of information. if you tell them one or two new things, they're more likely to remember it, than if they learn five or six new techniques in one night....

myself, if I learn one or two techs in a night, I know em forever. If I learn more than four, I forget EVERYTHING that was taught that evening... its too much information to process. However, that's just me. I know some people who can learn a lot in one sitting, however, they are exceptional.

-N-

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
If I learn one or two techs in a night, I know em forever.

If I learn more than four, I forget EVERYTHING that was taught that evening...

Slow to learn.......... Slow to Forget.......

Earn what you learn.

:asian:

Latest Discussions