Kehcorpz

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before we can make things easier on you. You have to first decide what it is you want from martial arts.

Fitness? Confidence? Something fun to do? Self defense? Sport? Maybe all of the above or a combination of them?

Which do you really care about the most out of the these features? Now the cost is something out of our hands on this forum, unfortunately you cannot change what your local places cost and that is up to you on whether you feel they are worth it or not.

What you can do however is ask around about the place and ask the students if they feel the place is worth it or not. There are also apps like yelp and other resources that rate businesses that you can look up to help you decide.

They also should have a free period of time where you can test the waters before you put money into it. I know places do this because everywhere I been to does this.

Don't be afraid of getting things wrong in training because you will naturally mess up. That is a part of the learning process, you will fail and learn from your failures and that is how people get better at it.

So really think about what you want to do here, and for the love of all that is martial arts, stay off of YouTube when it comes to choosing an art and do not try to learn things from YouTube as you are not yet experienced enough to really understand all the nuances that is going on and can end up teaching yourself bad habits and overall innefective stuff.

We are here to help you but we cannot help you if you don't know what you want.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
why do you appear always as a mentor here when you don't even know in what style you train?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
why do you appear always as a mentor here when you don't even know in what style you train?

I know what styles I train in. If you don't know what I train in than that's not my problem and it shouldn't be a worry of yours.

There is nothing wrong with giving advice to someone who has been asking for it on a daily basis.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Why not? Have you read Kehcorpz posts? I fairly new practitoner with a can-do attitude like Ironbear might be just the guy to give him some advice. If anybody can.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not? Have you read Kehcorpz posts? I fairly new practitoner with a can-do attitude like Ironbear might be just the guy to give him some advice. If anybody can.

Thank you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Threads of this sort have a real habit of going downhill fast. Please, everyone, do your part to avoid that.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I often find this sort of thing is best left to private messages, but we'll see what happens if Kehcorpz replies to this.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
just one of many examples.
btw try to kick someone when being in the clinch, then you see what i mean. and in every fight which isn't created for show so it doesn't allow staying close (shotokan, taekwondo...) opponents will come that close. especially if they want to kill you. jeesh, crazy people without ability to logical thinking around here.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
btw try to kick someone when being in the clinch, then you see what i mean. and in every fight which isn't created for show so it doesn't allow staying close (shotokan, taekwondo...) opponents will come that close. especially if they want to kill you. jeesh, crazy people without ability to logical thinking around here.
Yes then you get out of that range so what your saying is kicks have never worked in any fight ever. Trust me I've been in street fights and sport fights and in both I've used kicks which have worked sorry to burst your bubble friend and Im sure you'll think of some excuse for that as well

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Low kicks work in a clinch. Also that is now what you said. You said kicks do not work. You didn't say there are situations where kick don't work. You said they just don't work.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

? ...I'm confused ...how does this relate to my comment or the topic of discussion here?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not every fight begins with nor ends with a clinch. And kicks can be effective in the clinch. Watch some Muay Thai.

Kicks can definitely work in close range too, and not just low kicks. Watch Kyokushin.

Yes, Muay Thai and Kyokushin that are watchable are almost always competition. But if you think there's no realism in Muay Thai nor knockdown karate, you may want to think about what fighting can be. They're not the be all, end all, but they're quite suited for real fighting.

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just discovered this thread here. :)

-> Fitness? Confidence? Something fun to do? Self defense? Sport? Maybe all of the above or a combination of them?

Mostly self-defense but at the same time it needed to be something which is appealing. Boxing or kickboxing doesn't interest me it
simply looks boring. I'd never go on youtube and just watch somebody demonstrate boxing techniques.
Wing chun and silat look way more interesting and sophisticated.

Do kickboxers even have deflection techniques or do they simply put their arms in front of their face and that's it?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

-> Fitness? Confidence? Something fun to do? Self defense? Sport? Maybe all of the above or a combination of them?

Mostly self-defense but at the same time it needed to be something which is appealing. Boxing or kickboxing doesn't interest me it
simply looks boring. I'd never go on youtube and just watch somebody demonstrate boxing techniques.

Do kickboxers even have deflection techniques or do they simply put their arms in front of their face and that's it?

I honestly don't know. I know there are a couple of kick boxers here though who can answer that for you. If wing chun and silat are what interest you then by all means go for those.

Oh here is something I heard an old man say to me once. "There are many paths that lead to the top of the mountain, but if you spend all of your time contemplating which path to take. Then you will always be at its feet and never reach the top."

Basically all the styles are pretty good given the teacher is good at teaching. So any path you take should benefit and will be better than taking no path at all.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes they do they have blocks and parries and head movement and the hands aren't just covering the face you can always see your opponent and your deflecting the shots either on your forearms or your elbows just because it doesn't look exciting like a movie doesn't mean it doesn't work. In a real fight what're you going to use blocks punches and kicks and knees that's your main weapons

Latest Discussions