Kehcorpz

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mostly self-defense but at the same time it needed to be something which is appealing. Boxing or kickboxing doesn't interest me it
simply looks boring.

I have this lingering suspicion that you think this because you don't really understand what you're watching.

kehcorps said:
Do kickboxers even have deflection techniques or do they simply put their arms in front of their face and that's it?

Lingering suspicion confirmed. Very few (if any) fighters in the history of boxing or kickboxing have been trained to simply "put their arms in front of their face and that's it" as their defense. Maybe you're referring to elbow blocks and/or front parries?

They do have side parries which are along the lines of what you're probably thinking deflection techniques, they just don't use them very often because they tend to be low percentage against a competitive level fighter. For example, jabs typically come too fast to side parry, percentage wise you're better off training to slip the jab and come over the top. Crosses are very risky to try to side parry because if you time it wrong you're probably going to get your block rocked.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxing heavily relies on movement to avoid getting hit. Head movement, footwork, where to step and not to step, etc. At least that's my personal experience with it.