Karate Nerd Experience 2016

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell no! that's not 'very expensive', that's extortionately over priced. Absolutely would not pay that, ever.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For a three day event, that is exorbitant. When I put on three day events like that, they are $150-$250, depending on the instructors. For that price, I would expect a week or more of training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a three day event, that is exorbitant. When I put on three day events like that, they are $150-$250, depending on the instructors. For that price, I would expect a week or more of training.

Hotels in London are expensive although there are hostels but finding a one or hotel in August which is the school holidays here will be quite hard even this early, demand and prices will be high.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the dates listed, it would be a 4 day event. Even so, I agree the price is rather steep.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pink belts are often worn here for breast cancer awareness and fundraising, so it may be confusing for some.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's ridiculously expensive. But the cost of doing anything in London is pretty high. Besides that, it's all about supply and demand. He's got a following, and they're willing to pay the fee. Worth the price or not is all in the wallet of the buyer.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the Karate Nerd Experience everybody wears a pink belt.

So they are raising awareness of and collecting money for breast cancer charities because, as I said, that's what pink means here and we wear pink belts for just this reason. If you wear pink belts for other reasons then that's a bit pants frankly.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So they are raising awareness of and collecting money for breast cancer charities because, as I said, that's what pink means here and we wear pink belts for just this reason. If you wear pink belts for other reasons then that's a bit pants frankly.

According to Jesse Enkamp who I believe is running the Karate Nerd experience, the reason they wear pink belts is to not have students of different ranks but rather to just have one universal rank. Any rank you might've earned elsewhere is irrelevant as everybody there is a pink belt. The idea is to do away with ego and not to have students concerned with any ranks other students might've earned elsewhere but just to learn. Tony Dismukes posted a link to the explanation earlier in the thread.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Jesse Enkamp who I believe is running the Karate Nerd experience, the reason they wear pink belts is to not have students of different ranks but rather to just have one universal rank. Any rank you might've earned elsewhere is irrelevant as everybody there is a pink belt. The idea is to do away with ego and not to have students concerned with any ranks other students might've earned elsewhere but just to learn. Tony Dismukes posted a link to the explanation earlier in the thread.

Obtuse. The seminar is in the UK therefore as I explained a pink belts denotes to people here it's something to do with breast cancer awareness charities.

The idea of pink belts to mean everyone is the same is a rather odd one actually, why pink? It's because to certain males it's considered a feminine colour. In other places such as Thailand it's considered a lucky colour which many MT fighters will wear. Every seminar I have ever been on people attend and already do away with ego, they don't go to seminars unless they are wanting to learn. It's a gimmick frankly and along with the price of the seminar somewhat ridiculous. Mr. Enkamp is a businessman, nothing wrong with that but this seminar should be seen as a product which he is marketing, wearing pink belts is as I said a gimmick.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obtuse. The seminar is in the UK therefore as I explained a pink belts denotes to people here it's something to do with breast cancer awareness charities.

The idea of pink belts to mean everyone is the same is a rather odd one actually, why pink? It's because to certain males it's considered a feminine colour. In other places such as Thailand it's considered a lucky colour which many MT fighters will wear. Every seminar I have ever been on people attend and already do away with ego, they don't go to seminars unless they are wanting to learn. It's a gimmick frankly and along with the price of the seminar somewhat ridiculous. Mr. Enkamp is a businessman, nothing wrong with that but this seminar should be seen as a product which he is marketing, wearing pink belts is as I said a gimmick.

Perhaps it's because pink is probably the only color not used as a rank by most systems? There are a ton of other colors not used, but they're shades of the others. Pink (even though it's pale red) stands on its own and isn't a shade of other colors such as magenta, chartreuse, mauve, or the other odd colors.

I don't think it's a male chauvinist thing as you seem to be implying here.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Somehow I doubt that breast cancer awareness is the only time pink is worn in the UK. Just as in the US, it is ONE reason people wear pink. Another reason is ... because they want to.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the united states a pink belt is most often a proclamation that you are a male with limited experience doing laundry and that you washed your white belt with your red flannel shirt.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that breast cancer awareness is the only time pink is worn in the UK. Just as in the US, it is ONE reason people wear pink. Another reason is ... because they want to.

My coach and his coach have some pink breast cancer gi,s.

We had a guy in from rio bjj take a class. And the rouges gallery we represented ranging from his pink gi my tie dyed one and some various interpretations of a tied belt on every one else. Made the poor guy die a little inside.

Otherwise if mike tyson can wear pink handcuffs then pink belts should be fine.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the united states a pink belt is most often a proclamation that you are a male with limited experience doing laundry and that you washed your white belt with your red flannel shirt.

Gene lebell.

Latest Discussions