Karate Nerd Experience 2016

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that breast cancer awareness is the only time pink is worn in the UK. Just as in the US, it is ONE reason people wear pink. Another reason is ... because they want to.

No, we are talking pink belts in martial arts not the general wearing of pink.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it's because pink is probably the only color not used as a rank by most systems? There are a ton of other colors not used, but they're shades of the others. Pink (even though it's pale red) stands on its own and isn't a shade of other colors such as magenta, chartreuse, mauve, or the other odd colors.

I don't think it's a male chauvinist thing as you seem to be implying here.

Not male chauvinist, sexist....... ie blue for boys ( equally sexist btw) and pink for girls.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Now I'm thoroughly confused. Is it sexist when a man wears pink or when a woman wears pink?

If you wear a pink belt, do you have to tithe 15% to the Susan Komen foundation?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, we are talking pink belts in martial arts not the general wearing of pink.

Which actually makes zero difference. Feel free to add the words "belt in martial arts" after every instance of the word "pink" in my statement and it remains every bit as true.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which actually makes zero difference. Feel free to add the words "belt in martial arts" after every instance of the word "pink" in my statement and it remains every bit as true.

Actually I did say pink belts and as we are talking about a particular seminar where they supposedly wear pink belts it's self evident I'm talking about wearing pink belts. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now I'm thoroughly confused. Is it sexist when a man wears pink or when a woman wears pink?

If you wear a pink belt, do you have to tithe 15% to the Susan Komen foundation?

I have a friend who is a feminist. The answer is yes to both.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually I did say pink belts and as we are talking about a particular seminar where they supposedly wear pink belts it's self evident I'm talking about wearing pink belts. :D

Why do pink belts fall under a different set of rules than a pink t shirt?

(same comment re worded)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Anybody going to the Karate Nerd Experience? Its in August and its being held in London this year. Its very expensive, 799 pounds which is $885.99 and I've never been to it so I don't know how good it is.

Welcome to KNX16: The Karate Nerd Experience 2016 - Blakes Fight Apparel

Not going but that is 799 Euros or 642.86 British pounds or $909.34 US Dollars for 1...wait for it...with a room. I believe the price includes the hotel room as well. And there are allegedly only 9 tickets left so you better hurry

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not going but that is 799 Euros or 642.86 British pounds or $909.34 US Dollars for 1...wait for it...with a room. I believe the price includes the hotel room as well. And there are allegedly only 9 tickets left so you better hurry

That is hugely expensive even with a room.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much do hotel rooms in London cost? In Manhattan, 3 nights in a hotel room can easily run you $600-$700. I'm not talking about Waldorf Astoria penthouse stuff, but mid range-ish places like the Marriott.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I most likely will not be going this time. I haven't got the time or the money.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much do hotel rooms in London cost? In Manhattan, 3 nights in a hotel room can easily run you $600-$700. I'm not talking about Waldorf Astoria penthouse stuff, but mid range-ish places like the Marriott.

Hotels are very expensive but having looked at the ad again I'm wondering where the seminar is to be, it says London but it's a huge place and I suspect it may be out in the sticks somewhere rather than actually 'London'. It's probably a church hall in Romford lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trying to pay three separate instructors factor in?

(my last seminar cost $80 and we got to spar the guy)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to pay three separate instructors factor in?

(my last seminar cost $80 and we got to spar the guy)

I think he's trying to make it 'exclusive' and only have a few students attend which sort of goes against what he's supposed to be standing for.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you think about it...

3 instructors flying in from Sweden, Hong Kong, and Brazil. Hotel rooms for these 3 for 4-5 days. Meals. Support staff salary, flights, hotels and meals. Space rental, advertising costs, etc. Subtract the cost of the hotel room from the registration cost.

Split those costs between 39 registrants. Before any profit gets split 3 ways (however it gets split), the registration fee doesn't seem exorbitant to me. Had there been hundreds of available, then yes.

That doesn't mean they're not making money doing this. But I doubt each person is taking home more than a few thousand dollars.

As for only 39 attendees, maybe they don't want it to be like a kids' summer camp with hundreds of martial artists running around and not getting any individualized attention.

Not everything is a cash grab. Everything doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few thousand dollars.

I love that you don't think a 'few thousand dollars' isn't very much, dear me that's a fortune! The seminar is in London, there's brilliant instructors in the UK who don't charge a fortune so why fly in instructors? Nah, it's expensive for what it is. If it's like his writing, it'll be full of buzz words and jargon. I'll save my money for serious training.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love that you don't think a 'few thousand dollars' isn't very much, dear me that's a fortune! The seminar is in London, there's brilliant instructors in the UK who don't charge a fortune so why fly in instructors? Nah, it's expensive for what it is. If it's like his writing, it'll be full of buzz words and jargon. I'll save my money for serious training.

A few thousand dollars is a lot of money to me too. My wife and I are both school teachers, and our daughters are 5 and 3.

I'm sure it's taken several months of planning and work to bring it together. In that context, a few thousand dollars isn't that much.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thousand dollars is a lot of money to me too. My wife and I are both school teachers, and our daughters are 5 and 3.

I'm sure it's taken several months of planning and work to bring it together. In that context, a few thousand dollars isn't that much.

It's their business though, it's how the organiser earns his living so it's not like any martial arts instructor holding a seminar, this is what he does for a living. He will have a lot of seminars organised, books and videos to sell. It's a commercial venture and one that really doesn't offer value for money in my opinion.

Latest Discussions