I am as well and have similar views.I am also an ex soldier...Everything I do gets viewed through the prism of real combat
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I am as well and have similar views.I am also an ex soldier...Everything I do gets viewed through the prism of real combat
No, but we did train in combatives. If we had to fight in hand-to-hand combat overseas, then that would be a very bad situation, and it would mean we were being overrun. We never let anyone get that close to us, and we were never alone.Just out of curiosity, did either of you actually engage in hand-to-hand combat (details not required!)?
My impression is that modern warfare (post WW1) takes place at a distance if not remotely. I once asked a lovely trainee fighter pilot acquaintance about how he felt about dropping bombs on people and ripping them limb from limb. He said there was a pilotās concept known as the āmorality of altitudeā where if you donāt hear, see or otherwise experience the results of oneās military sortie, it doesnāt register emotionally or psychologically.
The very thought of being eye to eye, ādealingā with an enemy <shudder>No, but we did train in combatives. If we had to fight in hand-to-hand combat overseas, then that would be a very bad situation, and it would mean we were being overrun. We never let anyone get that close to us, and we were never alone.
Itās good practice for marriage.The very thought of being eye to eye, ādealingā with an enemy <shudder>
Do some reading on the Korean and Vietnam wars and you will see this is very incorrect. Even Desert Storm/Shield had it fair share.Just out of curiosity, did either of you actually engage in hand-to-hand combat (details not required!)?
My impression is that modern warfare (post WW1) takes place at a distance if not remotely. I once asked a lovely trainee fighter pilot acquaintance about how he felt about dropping bombs on people and ripping them limb from limb. He said there was a pilotās concept known as the āmorality of altitudeā where if you donāt hear, see or otherwise experience the results of oneās military sortie, it doesnāt register emotionally or psychologically.
Yep.Do some reading on the Korean and Vietnam wars and you will see this is very incorrect. Even Desert Storm/Shield had it fair share.
You're thinking of modern Aikido. Original Aikido was much more "jutsu" focused, with crippling techniques still taught, and falls were onto wood floors.I will have to do some research into the traditional Okinawan arts.
I appreciate the suggestion, but with the bad rap Aikido gets and the fact that it seems like a colossal waste of time for self-defense. I just feel punching a makiwara and doing some low kicks would be time much better spent than throwing around a partner that is non-resistant.