Kanzen Ryu karate do

Barnatha82

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this community and I am considering taking kanzen Ryu Karate. I never heard of it though. I was wondering if anyone has practiced Kanzen Ryu or has some knowledge about it?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this community and I am considering taking kanzen Ryu Karate. I never heard of it though. I was wondering if anyone has practiced Kanzen Ryu or has some knowledge about it?
Kanzen ryu is a form of Goju ryu, if I remember correctly-there was a group at SUNY@ Stonybrook when I was there-I dropped in on them a time or two, and knew a few people who trained in it-this was all more than 30 years ago. At the time, it seemed okay...I just was already training in something else..,.from a traditionalist point of view, it's not traditional Goju, by virtue of its founder, Harry Rosenstein, being trained by Peter Urban, and associated (for years) with the Nisei Goju of Frank Ruiz after that.....on the other hand, you'll get a good workout, and might become a pretty fair fighter....

OP
B

Barnatha82

White Belt
Reaction score
Kanzen ryu is a form of Goju ryu, if I remember correctly-there was a group at SUNY@ Stonybrook when I was there-I dropped in on them a time or two, and knew a few people who trained in it-this was all more than 30 years ago. At the time, it seemed okay...I just was already training in something else..,.from a traditionalist point of view, it's not traditional Goju, by virtue of its founder, Harry Rosenstein, being trained by Peter Urban, and associated (for years) with the Nisei Goju of Frank Ruiz after that.....on the other hand, you'll get a good workout, and might become a pretty fair fighter....

Thanks! Elder! I did find some videos about it. It appears to be a hybrid of several styles with focus on sweeps and lateral movement. Real popular in Irand and India

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the system but even if someone here either says it's amazing or it's rubbish you shouldn't really take our word everyone has different opinions everyone here may hate it you may go there and love it so that's good for you doesn't make you wrong doesn't make us wrong. Plus every school is different. Best bet go to the class yourself either watch or join in if you like it great if not nothing lost apart from an hour or 2 of your time.

OP
B

Barnatha82

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the system but even if someone here either says it's amazing or it's rubbish you shouldn't really take our word everyone has different opinions everyone here may hate it you may go there and love it so that's good for you doesn't make you wrong doesn't make us wrong. Plus every school is different. Best bet go to the class yourself either watch or join in if you like it great if not nothing lost apart from an hour or 2 of your time.

Well spoken.

Latest Discussions