Just some thoughts on pressure points.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Within the boundaries of the Laws of Chacanery, moreso thand the Laws of Probability.

The reverse straw-man is equally dangerous, and just as absurd. Since the DKI/PP KO guys are so full of dookey, let's avoid ALL training around optimal targeting, stop studying pugilistic sciences, and just advocate carrying defensive firearms (in a hobbyist sort of way, of course).

Actually, I kind of like it.

Regards,

D.
No point trying to dismiss every hypothetical as a "strawman". It's a straightforward inconsistancy - if PPs are as numerous and easy to activate as you say, why do we not see people collapsing in the same manner as PP demos during heavy sparring or combat sports comps?

Reactions: MJS

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not all pressure points are indicated for putting someone down or for causing pain - many are for healing, but then you probably don't believe in that.

PPs work on some people, not on others. As I understand it, people with a lot of body fat and/or muscle mass are less apt to feel them.

But then the understanding of pressure points takes training in it and I think it's less than responsible to chastise the use of them in training unless you understand which ones are for what. And that involves removing judgement and pessimism from one's mind because no one learns that way.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
No point trying to dismiss every hypothetical as a "strawman". It's a straightforward inconsistancy - if PPs are as numerous and easy to activate as you say, why do we not see people collapsing in the same manner as PP demos during heavy sparring or combat sports comps?

Alright, skippy. Try to stay with me on this one. Did I, EVER...IN ANY OF MY PREVIOUS POST, indicate I believed there was a cause-effect relationship between popping these points and making folks collapse? Let me answer for you, because I'm thinking you're not tracking me, and are apt to answer wrong: No. I never asserted that striking any or all of these points would facilitate anything resembling a knockout, or even a skin rash.

What I DID say is that we are covered in them. Grab an acupuncture chart, and look at the parts of the body you would try to hit if in a fight; jab yourself with a stick in spots that correspond with acupuncture points...they will more than likely be tender to deep pressure or abrupt strikes. Chances are greater in favor of vital personal combat targets having an acupuncture point on them than not.

I am not an all-knowing force in the universe, and so cannot say for certain that it is not a possibility -- haven't met everyone on the planet, and there may be someone out there who can KO me with some sneaky taps. That being said, I was choking guys out from the Dillman seminars with sleeper holds before the Gracie Challenge hit US shores...all to call BS on the PP folks. So stick your ego back in your socks, and try to be sure that what you're after is really what you're after.

And, when in doubt, try to read what the post says...not what you THINK it says, or want it to say for arguments sake.

Best Regards,

Dave

Reactions: MJS

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
PP's have their place as do all other techniques. No, I don't believe in alot of the hype you see as far as "one- touch knock-outs" and such. However, they can be great help for leo's if someone is being non-compliant. This does not mean someone who is attcking you! This is in ref. to the guy who won't stand up, put his hands behind his back etc. There are several valid PP for striking, even someone who is more agressive. The brachial plexus origin, brachial plexus tie- in, common peroneal and the femoral nerve. All of the above mentioned PP's will get immediate results. The only one that will actually drop you is the brachial plexus origin, but the others are worth studying and practicing. These points are not "magic" or controling someones chi, simply striking nerve clusters that lay close to the surface of the body.
Pax
Cujo

OP
T

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are some good points here thus far. I did say originally that they can facillitate grappling and striking by means of pain compliance such as the upper lip rub or pressing into st4 to trun the head but this tippy tap and your out stuff is only good for demos. I have met some high ranking people with Dillman lineage and they know some stuff but not 1 of them can do tap KO's on moving aggressive targets. Apart from anything it isn't just one point you have to tap to initiate a KO so if you stuff up one of your lead in taps, rubs or whatever then it ain't gonna work even if you get the jaw tap right anyway. So looking at an acupuncture chart wouldn't do jack except add a little pain as the combinations would be incorrect.

Anyone can do pressure points on stationary targets but even that does not always work as George couldn't put Benny the Jet or Rickson Gracie out to name two more famous people. Rickson was ready to smack his head in and had to be dragged off.

Healing has nothing to do with this thread as acupuncture etc is a proven method of healing and not what this is about.

Thats all for now
Have a super day all
Cheers
Sam

Latest Discussions