How to Kill - Pressure Points in Unarmed Combat

davidbond

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently watched the unarmed combat DVD from http://www.combatskills.net and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend it for simple, effective and deadly techniques. (No disrespect.)

But it's basically just a 'how to kill' instructional DVD with little explanation in terms of energy or pressure points. It talks about nerves and blood vessels etc., but not meridian lines etc.

If you want to just learn simple ways to kill an opponent using Special Forces unarmed combat techniques then fine. And it does mention pressure points including ST9. It also explains the 'Death Touch' infamous in the martial arts.

But I want a more detailed instructional DVD from a Ki/Chi position - actually giving the traditional names of all the pressure points used in military unarmed combat and why they work - not just "hit here at this angle and death is instantaneous!"

I don't just want to be a killing machine, I'm trying to learn about the military use of pressure points scientifically!!

Can anybody suggest another good DVD with this in mind?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently watched the unarmed combat DVD from http://www.combatskills.net and really enjoyed it.

I would recommend it for simple, effective and deadly techniques. (No disrespect.)

But it's basically just a 'how to kill' instructional DVD with little explanation in terms of energy or pressure points. It talks about nerves and blood vessels etc., but not meridian lines etc.

If you want to just learn simple ways to kill an opponent using Special Forces unarmed combat techniques then fine. And it does mention pressure points including ST9. It also explains the 'Death Touch' infamous in the martial arts.

But I want a more detailed instructional DVD from a Ki/Chi position - actually giving the traditional names of all the pressure points used in military unarmed combat and why they work - not just "hit here at this angle and death is instantaneous!"

I don't just want to be a killing machine, I'm trying to learn about the military use of pressure points scientifically!!

Hmm...where oh where to start with this. Lets see:

1) I never have been and probably never will be, a fan of learning anything off of a tape. Nothing can replace a live instructor.

2) Pressure points are, IMHO, not able to be taught from a tape.

3) I would suggest making sure that you are very justified in killing someone. For someone to think that they're going to be able to watch this tape, actually learn something, and if someone should happen to attack them, hit a point and kill the person...well, thats just an invite to spend some quality time in jail.

4) There are killing moves in pretty much every art. Why would I need a tape to learn this when the arts that I already study will do just fine, if that is something I needed to do?

My replies are not intended to come off as harsh, but I'm just giving my opinion. I would strongly suggest that if you are serious about learning an art, to find a teacher, rather than try to learn from a tape. As I said, nothing can replace a live teacher to show you the fine points of an art.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'd recommend discussing this with a well-qualified defense attorney in your state and following his advice to the letter.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
David, in addition to the fine advice already given above, it is also important that you dwell a little on what your motivations are in this.

Nearly all of us come into martial arts in the first place with at least part of the goal in the back of our minds being to learn how to defend ourselves better. However, paradoxical as it sounds, the martial arts are not all about fighting, even less are they about killing.

To an extent they are about the application of measured force in reponse to a threatening situation but certain principles you learn along the way are there to give you the option of avoiding trouble in the first place - or at least they should be but that's a discussion being touched on elsewhere.

I hope that that makes some sense anyhow as I'm struggling under the lash of the tail-end of a migraine at present and things aren't quite up to speed in the organic computer :lol:.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who exactly are you planning to kill? That is not something that you just thow out there like that. No responsible instructor is going to teach you something like that unless you have proven that you can be trusted with such knowledge. Even if you could be trusted, that type of thing is usually reserved just for a select few students after years of training. If you are trying to learn from a tape then you will definitely learn to kill someone - yourself :lol:. My best advice would be to just sign up for a martial arts class or a self defense course offered by local law enforcement. You won't learn to kill right off the bat, but you will learn some skills that will most likely make it unnecessary for you to have to kill anyone in the first place. Never ever take another life unless it just can't be avoided for self defense reasons and/or you are willing to forfeit your own and accept the reality that comes with doing just that.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I might be able to suggest things but not in the lines of killing people.
First to know meridians is to know meridian theory. Knowing the names of each point on a meridian in Chinese or English is fine for example you mentioned St-9 Stomach 9 or Ren Ying= Man's prognosis reason being its called that is location by the Adam's apple.
So as far as DVD's are concerned you can purchase Anatomy for Acupunture which will cost you $300 @ redwingbooks.com
As far as books go you can find a decent acupunture book explaining the points. To use points for harming requires you to know how the points heal and effect circulation of Qi. There is of course much more to it.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Killing pressure points?

Please.

While the above post is a bit dismissive of pressure points, it brings up something I would like to add. Using pressure point strikes in a real life self defense encounter is going to be very hard to pull off. To actually pull it off you will need years of training under a very good teacher (not a DVD). If you really need to cripple an attacker, it would be easier to learn to target things like the throat, not some finger sized point on the body.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In field combat one kills,
In street combat one defends.
Pressure points should be used to disable when possible. To use pressure points to intentionally kill one should buy some soap on a rope.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Id like to see the corners reports on all those "death by pressure point" cases.

Or even just one.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
1st – Killing - BAD, very bad - DON'T KILL OR TRY AND KILL ANYONE!!!

2nd – Learning pressure points from a video – Not Possible

3rd – Learning Qi or Ki form a Video – Not recommended

Find a legitimate teacher and don’t kill anybody.

:bow: Perfect advice........................................again!!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1st – Killing - BAD, very bad - DON'T KILL OR TRY AND KILL ANYONE!!!

2nd – Learning pressure points from a video – Not Possible

3rd – Learning Qi or Ki form a Video – Not recommended

Find a legitimate teacher and don’t kill anybody.
Killing is OK in some circumstances. Yes you can learn it from a video.
Sean

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Oh, my goodness.

Hmm.

Well to start with:

*You had best make DEAD sure( ha ha) that you will be able to unchallengably explain before a judge/jury just exactly why this person could be stopped no other way but by your killing him. This is likely going to prove especially difficult once( not "if"--once) it becomes known in that courtroom that you specifically sought out training intended for _no other reason_ than to inflict deadly-force trauma.The problem with only exposing yourself to a system intended to maim or kill is that now you MUST maim or kill, irrespective of the actual threat posed. Not gonna look so very good for your justified-use-of-force claim, it ain't.

*All promises of "one touch kills" to the contrary, while it is true that certain strikes to certain areas of the body are *likely* to produce given reactions, such techniques should in no one's dreams be considered "guaranteed" under ANY circumstances. Suppose someone not so strong trains to develop a hard, fast punch but hits a much larger person where it normally would do nothing, but suppose that bigger person has some form of physical anomaly such that it kills him? suppose you land "the Money Shot", and the guy's so hopped up on drugs as to not even notice? Or suppose you try your Ultimate Plaid Dragon Finger Flick of Implosion that you've practiced so much and you ( *GASP* ) MISS!!!!!!

Militarily speaking, if you're just into this from a research standpoint, just google any military hand to hand manuals, most of them are still in print.

Any idiot can *kill*, that's but a very tiny part of martial arts in general.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Id like to see the corners reports on all those "death by pressure point" cases. Or even just one.

Now come on. Using pressure points to kill is well established and really quite simple. Almost any point on the head or torso will do fine. The trick is to generate enough pressure. Like for example hitting your victom with a Mack truck, ...a ton of bricks, ...a shot fom a cannon...

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Killing is OK in some circumstances. Yes you can learn it from a video.
Sean

If (in the right circumstances, as a civilian) my actions cause death, that can be justified. It's still bad, though -- it's just the lesser of evils (which is exactly how some states word it legally, I believe.) If by OK you mean justified, then yes.

You can learn to kill from a video -- videos can show you how to load and fire a gun, thrust a knife, or wrap a chord around someone's throat. Accomplishing these things while someone is trying to do it to you . . . well, my money's on the guy with a live instructor.

As far as learning to kill with pressure points (particularly from video) -- well, my trigger has a 5.5 lbs pressure point. That's about all I'll trust. (It's military, too!)

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Again, its OK to kill bad guys.
Sean

It is NEVER "ok" to kill someone, there may come a time when it comes down to it and you may have to resort to it, but even then its never "ok." Have you ever taken a life Sean? Do you know how it feels or what you experience after? I have while serving my country, and it is NOT "ok." No matter how justified you are and what the situation was even if your right in using deadly force, you never forget what you did and it does haunt you. I tell myself every day that it was them or us, and in my head I know we were right and did what we had to, but in my heart and maybe even my soul, I am still pained at the loss of life.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
It is NEVER "ok" to kill someone, there may come a time when it comes down to it and you may have to resort to it, but even then its never "ok." Have you ever taken a life Sean? Do you know how it feels or what you experience after? I have while serving my country, and it is NOT "ok." No matter how justified you are and what the situation was even if your right in using deadly force, you never forget what you did and it does haunt you. I tell myself every day that it was them or us, and in my head I know we were right and did what we had to, but in my heart and maybe even my soul, I am still pained at the loss of life.

Surefire sign of Sanity, bro.:asian:

Latest Discussions