Joint Locks and Pressure Points

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
a LOT of people, like myself, find Dillman to not be a credible source on a lot of things. Sure....he knows what he knows, but all that he shows?? No. Like the "no touch" junk? Pleeeease..... I LOVE Kyushojitsu, and I think that stuff (Every thing is a KO and/or a "no-touch" KO) is bunk. Also: Dillman over all is just toooo gimmiky, too many parlor tricks laced into the actual info!! So much that they are starting to take over!

Dillman and his ilk are Not the only source for Kyushojitsu, dian xue, in America!!! ...and the good stuff isn't ALL about KO's, touch or no-touch.

Your Brother
John

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many of the Okinawan styles that are just a few generations out of Okinawa are still using good, valid Kyusho. Dillman and his group have made it a four letter word in most MA circles. There are more in the CMAs that use it than there are in JMAs.

I and mine still practice Kyusho, though it is in limited amounts in the lower ranks. We implement more around 4th kyu than at most other ranks.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm CMA and Dillman is not to highly thought of here either.

The no touch knockout baloney only leads me to what I say about anyone that claims this.

All he has done is successfully taught his students how to fall down.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of the Okinawan styles that are just a few generations out of Okinawa are still using good, valid Kyusho. Dillman and his group have made it a four letter word in most MA circles. There are more in the CMAs that use it than there are in JMAs.

I and mine still practice Kyusho, though it is in limited amounts in the lower ranks. We implement more around 4th kyu than at most other ranks.

One thing I will add is that Kyusho would not be the word used in Okinawa for pressure point techniques. Kyusho's translation is closer to vital points such as the balls, eyes & throat etc. rather than pressure points. I think it was just a cool Japanese/Okinawan tern for Dillman and the like to use.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are these things that you include into your training? Do you feel that they're worth knowing or do you feel that they're more of a waste of time?

Development of basic fighting skills to high level takes priority. These specialization techniques should be veiwed as skill/combat multipliers only when integrated into existing fighting skills. It becomes a waste of time when used as a short cut with no foundation to back it up.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon14.gif

One for your post too!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I will add is that Kyusho would not be the word used in Okinawa for pressure point techniques. Kyusho's translation is closer to vital points such as the balls, eyes & throat etc. rather than pressure points. I think it was just a cool Japanese/Okinawan tern for Dillman and the like to use.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

Correct. Kyusho is vital point striking. Pressure points are included under the umbrella of vital points. Trust me, if I do an eye gouge they are going to feel pressure.
icon12.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never particularly liked those sort of randori "stand-off" scenarios, where you use a person as a human shield. From what Ive seen of attacks involving multiple opponents it tends to be extremely aggressive, and anything which keeps you stationary will result in the opponents swarming you. If I needed to create an obstacle, I'd throw one of the attackers at another, or onto the ground in their path, and then continue attacking. Still be incredibly difficult thing to do though.

It's great in theory...

But the reality is that, unless your Chuck Norris with a fight choreagrapher and stunt men, people don't attack you one at a time. Grab one, use him as a shield against another, and the third will be coming up from behind you. They may not be coordinated in their efforts... but the combined individual efforts of several people to hurt you at the same time will succeed!

Latest Discussions