Just moved

Esco47

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all!!! So here is my problem. I moved to Denver, Co at the end of last year, after starting about five months of Shaolin Kung Fu back home. Very small, traditional school, with traditional training. Looking for something similar in the Denver area or close by, but it seems like a lot of kung fu schools are more geared towards performace. Anyone happen to be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Enshin karate is headquartered in Denver, I believe. It's full contact, based on circular movement (sabaki), and incorporates a lot of judo throws. Don't be turned off by the full contact aspect of it; it's not all out all day, everyday, and there's a good progression. It's very strategy based, and not 'just get in there and fight' by any means. Too many full contact schools do that IMO, especially at the beginner ranks.

Enshin was founded by the legendary Joko Ninomiya, who got his start in Kyokushin.

If I had an Enshin school near me, I'd be all over it. I know it's not Kung fu, but IMO it's a highly practical and effective MA style. I've read a ton of Ninomiya's stuff, watched a ton of his videos, and have (too) briefly worked out with an Enshin guy. Enshin instruction isn't going to get any better than at Ninomiya and his son's dojo in Denver IMO. YouTube search Sabaki Challenge for videos of their competitions to get a sense of what they teach.

Latest Discussions