Judo vs. Wrestling against heavier, stronger strikers?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why am I trying to get this huge guy to the ground again?

So that he can fall into your guard and be submitted.

Seriously though big guys dont get up off the ground all that easily. So if you can knock him over he is more easily attacked.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you missed my point. My point is that it might be difficult to teach both sport bjj and self defense bjj together is because the two don't overlap well due to all the different nuances and this both happen to complicated.

From my experience sport striking and self defense striking overlap easier.

Nah. It is still false. You can do both fine.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah. But the time spent disabling a good puncher is when you can get knocked out because you are moving your head right into his pinching zone.
How to protect your head and not to be punched when you move in will require a lot of training. If you can catch that 1 second and do the right thing, you will succeed. Otherwise, you will fail. IMO, the risk is there but the reward will be great.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So that he can fall into your guard and be submitted.

Seriously though big guys dont get up off the ground all that easily. So if you can knock him over he is more easily attacked.

I don't know if the back story is legit.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Grappling arts are very complicated and feel to me like a game of logic while more striking arts such as boxing and karate often feel more like a test of endurance and reflex and strength.

There is still lots of technical stuff but there seems to be less involved. Just my opinion but maybe that's just because I have more experience doing striking.
Wow. Just... wow...

Not jumping down your throat, but, man, what a paradigm shift! I remember when boxing was called "The Sweet Science." Heck, I've read a great deal of material (and republished a good bit of it) from when Boxing, particular amateur boxing, was called (and thought of) as "Scientific Boxing." Very technical in the way people thought about it. Not "complex" per se, but, instead, "sophisticated." I believe that this still holds true. There's a lot of sophistication available in boxing if you apply yourself to its study.

The same goes for wrestling (and most grappling arts in general). There are still some who talk about "scientific wrestling" (usually applied to the older concepts of Catch as Catch Can wrestling). But, instead of being "complicated," they offer sophistication to people willing to delve deeply into the study.

Yes, in both cases, you can simply restrict yourself to the basics. Nothing wrong with that; the basics are a pretty good place because it generally works pretty solid. But there's a level of sophistication which can be built which exceeds the basics, building upon it.

Again, not grumping at you, I just find it a little shocking to my system to see someone describe "The Sweet Science" as "more like a test of endurance and reflex and strength." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if the back story is legit.

LoL @ I got a bad shoulder. Nice way of getting out of the arm bar of an elite grappler.

Hope that guy signed up. He'd be a monster in Bjj with the proper training.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. Just... wow...

Not jumping down your throat, but, man, what a paradigm shift! I remember when boxing was called "The Sweet Science." Heck, I've read a great deal of material (and republished a good bit of it) from when Boxing, particular amateur boxing, was called (and thought of) as "Scientific Boxing." Very technical in the way people thought about it. Not "complex" per se, but, instead, "sophisticated." I believe that this still holds true. There's a lot of sophistication available in boxing if you apply yourself to its study.

The same goes for wrestling (and most grappling arts in general). There are still some who talk about "scientific wrestling" (usually applied to the older concepts of Catch as Catch Can wrestling). But, instead of being "complicated," they offer sophistication to people willing to delve deeply into the study.

Yes, in both cases, you can simply restrict yourself to the basics. Nothing wrong with that; the basics are a pretty good place because it generally works pretty solid. But there's a level of sophistication which can be built which exceeds the basics, building upon it.

Again, not grumping at you, I just find it a little shocking to my system to see someone describe "The Sweet Science" as "more like a test of endurance and reflex and strength." :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
At the lower levels boxing can feel like just a test of reflexes and endurance. When I talk to experienced professionals though, it's amazing how much depth and sophistication and nuance they have in their understanding of the art.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow. Just... wow...

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Yeah I didn't mean to bash anytbing, It may he because I'm used to doing all the nuances and technical stuff in striking that I feel it's easier than the logic puzzle that is grappling.

Latest Discussions