Judges back schools’ Confederate flag ban

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seen here

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A federal appeals court panel ruled Wednesday in favor of a Tennessee school system that banned the Confederate battle flag because of concerns the symbol could inflame racial tensions at a high school.
Students Derek Barr, Chris White, Roger Craig White and their parents said in a lawsuit their free speech rights were violated by the 2005 flag ban at William Blount High School in Maryville, about 15 miles south of Knoxville.
School officials said the ban came after previous race-related incidents that included a racial slur, a fight, a civil rights complaint, a lockdown and graffiti depicting a Confederate flag and a noose.

I can understand this falling under the issue of a school dress code, or being similar to the banning of "gang attire," or "sagging," and I know that "free speech" is somewhat limited for kids in school, and probably should be.

The "Confederate flag," however, is a separate issue. Like many people from Northern states-of all colors, and many other people of color from all over the country, I've believed the Confederate flag to be something akin to the Nazi swastika. I think I was wrong, and I believe when I'm wrong I should apologize. I think calls for the banning of it are wrong as well, though I think those southern states that continue to fly it over municipal and state buildings are making a mistake.

I once had some friends over for dinner and we were talking about how important it is to be sensitive about past injustices. My friend Patricia was chastising me for eating and serving grapes, because of the long suffering and protracted battle they represented for Cesar Chavez and migrant workers-and how it didn’t matter that they were Chilean grapes, grapes were still an offensive symbol of oppression. My friend Freddie then told of how his Navajo ancestors were murdered by soldiers, and the survivors were forced to leaace their homeland and march across New Mexico to the Bosque Redondo. Many died on the way. I asked him if those who robbed and killed his ancestors had a flag. Imagine my surprise when he told me that they were flying the American Stars and Stripes when they committed those crimes. Then my friend Janie, who was raised on the Lakota reservation, told me about her great-great grandfather, who was killed by Amercian soldiers at the Wounded Knee Massacre. I was speechless when she told me Old Glory was waving in the wind as American soldiers murdered her people. As we sipped our coffee, my friend Margaret told of how her relatives were butchered by Colonel John Chivington and his American soldiers at Sand Creek, in Colorado, and how the soldiers had murdered defenselss old people, women and children in cold blood. The soldiers mutilated the corpses, took body parts to Denver and paraded in the streets with them, When John Chivington ( Methodist minister) was asked why they’d murdered the children he replied, “Nits grow to be lice.” I asked Margaret if they’d flown a flag, and she told me that the American Stars and Stripes had presided on the killing field at Sand Creek.
I reflected on how, years ago in a religious studies class, the teacher had told us how the original Christian symbol was a fish, and how offensive the cross would be to an early Roman or Byzantine Christian-it would be like wearing an electric chair or hanging scaffold as jewelry, or using a gas-chamber as an icon.
Perhaps I need to stop flying the flag in front of my home, and remove the “Support our Troops” bumper sticker from my car, as they are offensive symbols to my friends, just as the Confederate flag is supposed to be to me. It seems that in a Democracy, free speech should end when it offends someone else. Now, I don’t believe that’s true, and I’ll continue to fly my flag proudly, as it doesn’t mean years of oppression to me, any more than it did to my dinner guests. I’ll probably continue to internally question why someone is displaying a Confederate flag, and perhaps be wary of them, and maybe even offended, but I’ll defend their right to do so, and perhaps even respect those sons of the South who view it as part of their heritage and pride of place, and it’s to them that I apologize.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I remember flying into Atlanta GA some years ago and seeing the state flag, the design of which included the Confederate flag, flying all over the place. I'm a Jew, and I cringed, until I realized that it's just the state flag! The design had historical significance--not only to Southerners, but to Americans--and it did not imply that Atlantans were bigots. (The Atlantans were rather nice actually.)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elder, I'm impressed with your post. I truly am. I'm a southerner and really just don't "get" the need to continue to fly the confederate flag. The war is over, folks. The huge majority of folks around my area that fly that flag do so, not out of any sense of racism, but out of a sense of "redneck fashion". It's a symbol of heritage to some, I know. It's also a symbol of much hate and bigotry to others. It's how and why the flag was continued to be used after the civil war that causes it to be such a point of contention. Ban it? If it's being used as a symbol to intimidate, then, certainly get rid of it. If it's some yokels that wear it because they think it just looks "cool" or they watched one too many episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard during the mullet days then I don't see a problem. For me, I don't wear it, display it or fly it. I wasn't around during the war so I see no need to show any connection to it.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see the flag as a symbol of a "nation" and nothing more. I don't necessarily tie it to all of their ideals. I have to agree that the horrible part is what people USE the flag to represent. The manner in which is is used is what is offensive.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see the flag as that of a nation also. Many fought for that nation and died for there beliefs that each state should have the right to govern itself and separate from the Union if they so desired.
My wife had way to many distant relatives die under that flag for what they thought was a just cause. She wears the flag on her jacket and is proud of the heritage from which she comes. While I may not agree with her ideas at times I fully believe she as a citizen of this country has the right to them.
Those that flew the flag did so for many reasons, not all of which involved slavery, which seems to be the first and foremost thing that people associate the war of the states and the Confederate flag with.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "Confederate Flag" was actually a battle flag, it was NOT a national flag or the flag of the confederate states and it was not flown as such on confederate gov't buildings. In fact, all of the slave ships (american) that brought the slaves over flew the "American Flag" on their ships and came to port in the Northern US.

Here is the actual flag of the Confederecy

starsbars.gif

I have known several people who have displayed that flag, and to them it represets the ideal that the civil war was fought for (in their opinion) and that is state rights over a big federal gov't.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The "Confederate Flag" was actually a battle flag, it was NOT a national flag or the flag of the confederate states and it was not flown as such on confederate gov't buildings. .

...and, in fact, it's a Confederate Naval Jack-meant to fly over ships, really, though I think it does often get portrayed being used in land battles.....this is another reason why I decided not to care too much: if they want to fly a naval flag over a non-naval building, well, how seriously can I take that?:lol:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it all depends on the reasons behind its usage. If it was being used as a racist symbol, then the ban would be appropriate. Similar to banning gang colours or other hate symbols which, in a different context might not have any meaning.

But the confederate flag has other meanings as well, when used to represent those things or as a historical item it should definately not be banned.

"School officials said the ban came after previous race-related incidents that included a racial slur, a fight, a civil rights complaint, a lockdown and graffiti depicting a Confederate flag and a noose."

I think says that it was being used as a symbol for racism, which is unfortunate, but I can understand why they would want to ban it if that was happening. It is unfortunate that a symbol of a big chunk of the countries heritage would be asbused in such a way though. But look what the Nazi's did to the Swastika, a symbol used in buhhdism long before the Nazi party and with a entirely different meaning. Nowadays wearing that symbol in the west will get you in trouble though, again unfortunate when you look at the history behind that symbol prior to the Nazi's taking it over.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
...and, in fact, it's a Confederate Naval Jack-meant to fly over ships, really, though I think it does often get portrayed being used in land battles.....this is another reason why I decided not to care too much: if they want to fly a naval flag over a non-naval building, well, how seriously can I take that?:lol:

There were some different versions. This site has a quick synopsis of the American and Confederate flags during the civil war.

http://tmg110.tripod.com/usn4.htm

For a more detailed look at the different flags used by the confederecy and their history go to this site.

http://www.confederateflags.org/

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
. In fact, all of the slave ships (american) that brought the slaves over flew the "American Flag" on their ships and came to port in the Northern US.

Actually, that's not quite true.

The principal slave ports in what became the United States were Richmond Va., Charleston, SC, and New Orleans, La. Slave ships did come to port in "Northern" states, like Maryland, earlier, Massachussets and New York, but that actually would have been before there was an "American" flag.......

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's all about perspective. The same icon can have several different meanings depending on who is viewing it and what they associate it with. Since we're talking about the Confederate flag let's use it as the example.

To several people it represents the sufferage of blacks during the days of slavery. They associate it with the attrocity of "owning" another human being and put it right up their with the Nazi flag.

On the other hand, some folks view it as a symbol of the last vestiges of the principles of individual freedoms and states rights that were initially inherent in the US Constitution.

Some see it as historic and related to their heritage; it simply depends on who is viewing it and what they associate it with, regardless of the symbol.

The swastika was actually viewed as a positive symbol up until it became associated with the Nazi's. Because of that association, people now see it in a negative light; at least in the Western World.

Even though the Civil War was mostly about State's Rights, Trade, Taxation, and the Economy...people for some reason think it was all about freeing the slaves. I hate to break it to some of you, but no war has ever been waged over a noble ideal.....ever. Not even the American Revolution; that too was mostly about $$$.

It's because the states that seceded from the Union were "Slave States" and adopted the Confederate Flag that it is associated with slavery and has continued to be associated with it through the media. Slavery itself was actually tolerated under Old Glory, so from that perspective the Stars & Stripes should be just as offensive as the Confederate flag. Just ask a Native American as cited above about the attrocities committed under our pride and joy. Perhaps if 90% of the Native American population hadn't been whiped out by Europeans there'd be enough of them around to draw attention to that fact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's only offensive if you allow it to offend you. Anything can illicit a bad memory or emotion; a smell, a thought, a word....will you outlaw everything that reminds you of something bad? Will you play the part of Pavlov's dog your whole life?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmm,
confederate flag

rainbow gay flag

guess which one will not be allowed?

So....if homosexuals adopt the "rainbow" does that mean leprechauns will be offended? What about diversity groups, they use the rainbow symbol as well? Are homosexuals offended by leprechauns? Wait a minute...don't some Christian organizations use the rainbow for their symbol as well? OMG! It's symbol anarchy!!! Where will it end!?!?!?!

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I hate to break it to some of you, but no war has ever been waged over a noble ideal.....ever. Not even the American Revolution; that too was mostly about $$$.

But, but.....what about the war to get WMDs out of Saddam's hands, I mean to free the Iraqi people from a ruthless tyrant and bring democracy to the Middle East...I mean......:lol:

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmm,
confederate flag

rainbow gay flag

guess which one will not be allowed?

OMG! I totally get you. It was really shameful when all those gay people seceded from the union and started a war over their right to own others.

Although considering this is Tennessee, I doubt a rainbow flag would be allowed either.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elder, I'm impressed with your post. I truly am. I'm a southerner and really just don't "get" the need to continue to fly the confederate flag. The war is over, folks. The huge majority of folks around my area that fly that flag do so, not out of any sense of racism, but out of a sense of "redneck fashion". It's a symbol of heritage to some, I know. It's also a symbol of much hate and bigotry to others. It's how and why the flag was continued to be used after the civil war that causes it to be such a point of contention. Ban it? If it's being used as a symbol to intimidate, then, certainly get rid of it. If it's some yokels that wear it because they think it just looks "cool" or they watched one too many episodes of The Dukes of Hazzard during the mullet days then I don't see a problem. For me, I don't wear it, display it or fly it. I wasn't around during the war so I see no need to show any connection to it.

That was my observation as well.

I am a "Yankee". I never thought of myself as a Yankee until I lived down south for 10 years. (North Carolina/Tennessee mountains, very rural). I was born and raised in Chicago, so I was from the midwest in my eyes. When I thought of Yankees, I thought of the northeast. In the area we moved to, anyone not born in one of the confederate states was a yankee, you could be from California and you're still a Yankee. I learned after moving that the civil war is alive and well for most southerners.

The confederate flag was all over the place down there, but in the area I was in, it was all about the war, which they insist had nothing to do with slavery. I didn't see any racism in any of the people I knew, I'm not saying it isn't there, just that it wasn't in my interactions with anyone in our area.

Where am I going with this? I don't know, lol. It does have more racial conotations than they would like to admit. One way or the other, they have got to let it go. These are the United States now, well, at least they're supposed to be.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jade Tigress wrote
“I am a "Yankee". I never thought of myself as a Yankee until I lived down south for 10 years. (North Carolina/Tennessee mountains, very rural). I was born and raised in Chicago, so I was from the midwest in my eyes. When I thought of Yankees, I thought of the northeast. In the area we moved to, anyone not born in one of the confederate states was a yankee, you could be from California and you're still a Yankee. I learned after moving that the civil war is alive and well for most southerners.”

LOL From my time in Missouri I found that I am also Yankee but as was explained to me there are two types of Yankees, those that are from born in any other state than a confederate state are a Yankee but those born in any other state than a confederate state and move to live into a confederate state are in fact a Damn Yankee. The War of Aggression or as it is often called “the recent unpleasantness” has not been forgotten yet there is peace regardless of flags and memories. That man can be terrible to each other should not be ignored or forgotten, and trying to erase all images that remind us of that fact, to replace those memories with warm fuzzy feelings is a mistake in my opinion.
“Happiness depends on disposition not circumstance.” (Martha Washington) Some will be offended at the most minor things because they find their happiness in being bitter and unhappy; those types should be pitied, but not necessarily taken to your heart, also my opinion.

Regards
Brian King

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress wrote

LOL From my time in Missouri I found that I am also Yankee but as was explained to me there are two types of Yankees, those that are from born in any other state than a confederate state are a Yankee but those born in any other state than a confederate state and move to live into a confederate state are in fact a Damn Yankee. The War of Aggression or as it is often called “the recent unpleasantness” has not been forgotten yet there is peace regardless of flags and memories. That man can be terrible to each other should not be ignored or forgotten, and trying to erase all images that remind us of that fact, to replace those memories with warm fuzzy feelings is a mistake in my opinion.
“Happiness depends on disposition not circumstance.” (Martha Washington) Some will be offended at the most minor things because they find their happiness in being bitter and unhappy; those types should be pitied, but not necessarily taken to your heart, also my opinion.

Regards
Brian King

So true. And I love the Damn Yankees part. :D

That man can be so terrible to each other is indeed a sad fact.

Peace. :asian:

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
So true. And I love the Damn Yankees part. :D

That man can be so terrible to each other is indeed a sad fact.

Peace. :asian:

In Texas, on more than one occasion, people have used the "N" word around me, then excused themselves by pointing out that I wasn't one, I was a Yankee-and I don't think they meant that as a positive distinction, either....funny and sad.

Latest Discussions