South Park Gone Too Far South

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver, not trying to be insulting, but why did you quote my post on your last post? Didn't really seem to fit what you are saying.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
MA-Caver, not trying to be insulting, but why did you quote my post on your last post? Didn't really seem to fit what you are saying.
Boy talk about irony... no offense taken... you were speaking about how being offended is a small price to pay for freedom of speech. Okay, as I stated I've been offended before and probably will be again, but what gets my ire is offending my intelligence by using lack of intelligence as the creators of South Park are doing.
I'm sorry fellas but I don't see anything humorous about the stuff that comes out of my and everyone else's ***.

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I'm sorry but my intelligence is placed at too high of a value to me for someone to insult and offend. Using juvenile potty humor to desecrate two sacred symbols? Did these guys ever grow up? Did they ever get ed-yew-kay-ted?
For me satire is a good means to point out the ludicracy of some things like; M*A*S*H (the motion picture) did for the Vietnam War and Network News for the media and so on. But this expression was nothing more than retaliatory than satire. They're angry because their sponsor censored them.
You want to offend people fine. George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Robin Williams, Lenny Bruce, Dave Chappel, Sam Kinneson to name a few, offended people with their humor sure... they did it intelligently though. Did it with thought, insight, did it in a way that made you think about what they were (really) saying.
Potty humor? Using fecal matter/bodily waste as a means to express your distaste for something? GROW UP Matt Stone and Trey Parker! On one level I can see these guys have had a higher education at some point in their lives... but I'm failing miserably at seeing how they're actually using it. On another level I'm seeing these guys as a pair of second or third graders giggling in the corner of their classroom at some potty humor.
Excercising your consitutional right to express what you think/feel is alright and I may not agree with it (as Carol Kaur stated) being my consitutional right. But we're smarter than that aren't we? We're smart enough to elevate our thinking and our means of expression to say what we think is wrong with the world without disgusting metaphors and defaming religious and patriotic icons?
If they want to blaspheme then okay... I cannot judge on that then... by my (personal) beliefs they will be judged by the highest court.
But that they want to smear fecal matter on MY flag! MY country! We'll give you the freedom to say what you want... don't crap on it though.
They should've used the Comedy Central Logo if they wanted to express their disgust about their censoring. But of course they wouldn't... that's cutting the bottom out of their purse isn't it?
I don't watch commericalized televison anymore or at minimum it'll be very selective (educational channels) and very briefly. But I read this news article about what's going on in the television industry and yeah I'll raise a stink about it. Call it hypocracy if you want... it's your consitutional right... ain't it?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."
Salman RUSHDIE

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Boy talk about irony... no offense taken... you were speaking about how being offended is a small price to pay for freedom of speech. Okay, as I stated I've been offended before and probably will be again, but what gets my ire is offending my intelligence by using lack of intelligence as the creators of South Park are doing.
I'm sorry fellas but I don't see anything humorous about the stuff that comes out of my and everyone else's ***.

In a free society, there are going to be things said and done that offend you. Heck, if I came across someone actually crapping on the flag, I'd be sorely tempted to knock them silly. If I did, I'd be wrong.

What I would do if I were so offended--

The first step is turn the channel
Next, find out who owns Comedy Central and boycott thier shows/movies.
Don't buy products from companies that advertise on thier networks.
Try to get others to follow your lead.

Personally, I like the complete irreverance that South Park displays about everything. Yes, they have a lot of "toilet humor". I think they use that as an abusrd extreme.

And regardless of what you think of thier views and methods, they do have the right to make shows like that. And I would fight to the death to make sure they continue to do so.

Jeff

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Well okay, fine. But show Christ taking a dump on OUR flag?

Just out of curiosity, because of the way you emphasized the word OUR, is there someone else's flag that you would find less insulting, or even appropriate, to portray Jesus taking a crap on?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
PeteNerd said:
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Salman RUSHDIE

Exactly. And that is why millions of Muslims would like to kill that guy...

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Just out of curiosity, because of the way you emphasized the word OUR, is there someone else's flag that you would find less insulting, or even appropriate, to portray Jesus taking a crap on?

Ok, Ok, MY Flag My Flag... My Country...
I realize that there are members of this forum who are from out side these United States of America.

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant, but I'll PC myself regardless that it's my constitutional right to offend... though it was never my intent.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:

Still seems to be a bit of a non-sequitor to me. Or is that nonsequitor?

Jeff

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
South Park has managed be offensive about just about everyone. I think it's a very funny show. Silly humour might not be everyone's thing but it does make a lot of people laugh a lot, including me. I don't understand why anyone should say that people who have that sort of a sense of humour need to grow up? What sort of humour should a 'grown up' enjoy?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Ok, Ok, MY Flag My Flag... My Country...
I realize that there are members of this forum who are from out side these United States of America.

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant, but I'll PC myself regardless that it's my constitutional right to offend... though it was never my intent.

Some people are of the opinion that the flag of the United States somehow deserves greater respect than the flag of other nations. Just checking, that's all. thx.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Some people are of the opinion that the flag of the United States somehow deserves greater respect than the flag of other nations. Just checking, that's all. thx.

And others think that burning it is bad. When that is actually one of the approved methods of destroying an old US Flag.

It is not the issue of should you hold it as untouchable but should you allow people to express their issues with the government at hand. Otherwise one might find an upset group willing to resist or create a much larger problem.

Just my thoughts

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
And others think that burning it is bad. When that is actually one of the approved methods of destroying an old US Flag.

It is not the issue of should you hold it as untouchable but should you allow people to express their issues with the government at hand. Otherwise one might find an upset group willing to resist or create a much larger problem.

Just my thoughts

good points

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While seemingly juvenile, I think it goes deeper and exposes a double standard. Comedy Central would not allow ANY depiction of Mohammed, yet it would allow the described scene of a defecating Jesus.

What was Comedy Central's reason for not allowing the depiction of Mohammed? Was it because Comedy Central are bigotted and believe that some Islamist fundamentalists would react in an irrational manner that could lead to injuries of persons, destruction of property and possibly death, yet they don't think that Jews and Christians will react in the same manner?

Yes, my questions are disengenous. But, I do think there was more meaning to this episode than a 'crapping' Jesus. Sometimes, double-standards are more about the targets of those standards, than those that use those standards.

Well, back to my Rushdie novel, _Gibreel and Saladin's Excellent Adventure_, or was it a bogus journey?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
[...]

The approved method of burning includes the qualifier of 'in a dignified manner.'

Also, given the two choices, I'd rather see a burning U.S. flag, than a burning U.S. Constitution. When it becomes illegal to burn the flag, it will really mean something to burn the flag.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just one question, guys....

How many of you have actually seen the episode in question??

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Just one question, guys....

How many of you have actually seen the episode in question??

I missed this one. But I have seen almost every other episode.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:

But there is a difference.

What is the difference between beating someone up and and sparring? Why would one land me in jail?

From what I can tell... is sparring is a specific procedure with a tradition behind it. Rules must be followed. It has to be done at an suitable place, by appropriate people.

"Flag burning" can land a person in jail in many states.

Retiring a flag is a specific procedure with a tradition behind it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
crushing said:
While seemingly juvenile, I think it goes deeper and exposes a double standard. Comedy Central would not allow ANY depiction of Mohammed, yet it would allow the described scene of a defecating Jesus.

What was Comedy Central's reason for not allowing the depiction of Mohammed? Was it because Comedy Central are bigotted and believe that some Islamist fundamentalists would react in an irrational manner that could lead to injuries of persons, destruction of property and possibly death, yet they don't think that Jews and Christians will react in the same manner?

Yes, my questions are disengenous. But, I do think there was more meaning to this episode than a 'crapping' Jesus. Sometimes, double-standards are more about the targets of those standards, than those that use those standards.

Well, back to my Rushdie novel, _Gibreel and Saladin's Excellent Adventure_, or was it a bogus journey?

Excellent point about the double standard. I was thinking the same thing. And it would not surprise me one bit if that was the message being sent.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
But there is a difference.

What is the difference between beating someone up and and sparring? Why would one land me in jail?

From what I can tell... is sparring is a specific procedure with a tradition behind it. Rules must be followed. It has to be done at an suitable place, by appropriate people.

"Flag burning" can land a person in jail in many states.

Retiring a flag is a specific procedure with a tradition behind it.

Carol there may be state laws about this. But there is nothing Federal and there is nothing in the US Constitution about this.

Is it an insult? Yes, or else the act would not be sued to gather attention.

Would I do it or be at an event that was doing it? I do not think so, unless I as thereby mistake and did not know it was going on.

Would I argue they have the right to protest their government as long as they do not break the laws of the land in which they reside. Some local areas require permits, as simple as $25, others require the permits to cover the cost of security provided by the police. Others are inbetween.

My point was that Flag Burning and defication is not the real issue here.

The real issue here is that a certain group is trying to push their agenda with influence on large corporations when it insults themselves but they are more than willing to make all the money in the world as long as they insult everyone else.

Hypocracy.

So I choose to make my point available and also to let them know through my own boycotts to not support these organizations.

I still argue that the show in hand has the right to present their opinion. This is not like they are breaking ground here, this is just another episode and might even be considered one of their more tame episodes. Yet, some are taking exception.

Just my thoughts while fighting a cold ;)

Latest Discussions