Journey to a new style...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know if I posted this already, another creative use of "obstacles"... a wooden seat on its side, with a lemon sitting on top. Basically, it would HURT if I don't get the kick mechanics and arc right, so a challenge :p
d73d9bd1ea294ab2a5450a8743162789.gif

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Still training at home while on holidays, coming up with creative methods and invented a new fun training contraption :p.

Just a hand mitt attached to a resistance band, and attached to my punching bag stand. Used it for a bit of accuracy training: lunge punches, reverse punches, front kicks, rounds kicks...

And it's great, as you make impact it swings around everywhere like crazy, so you've gotta try and work on your timing to explode into it at just the right moment in order to hit it.
04c5e963c265e350677b9b04528f8063.jpg

When I fenced, we used a tennis ball hanging from a string in exactly this way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yeah there're so many different ways to train things... it's quite fun to come up with stuff... some of it really does help skill development, and then honestly some of it is purely just for fun, and a fun way to use strikes etc. Both are important I think in their own way :)

I remember when doing some tournament prep, I hung up a tennis ball by string, gave it a good push, closed my eyes, opened them at random intervals, and had to either block the ball or just get out of the way before it hits me!

I tend to mix up my sessions depending on what I want to or need to work on, how the bod is feeling, or just a maintenance session, for example today I came up with:

-Warmup
-Quick kihon
-Lots moving dynamic flexibility x50
-Kihon (specific): 1 from each type of strike, x10, COMPLETE relaxation in between, explode out of completely relaxed space
-Accuracy target training
-1x kata (worked on Gekisai Dai for about 7mins..)
-Shadowsparring app (posted a thread about this one)
I’ve spent most of my training time on grappling, so tend to forget there’s a lot I can train without a partner. I rather like doing “stations” for 30+ minutes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if I posted this already, another creative use of "obstacles"... a wooden seat on its side, with a lemon sitting on top. Basically, it would HURT if I don't get the kick mechanics and arc right, so a challenge :p
That’s a kick I’d love to add to my repertoire some day. It has always looked like it would be a nice challenge.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Nice kick, Simon.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Life has been incredibly difficult of late... so I really need to stay connected to what brings me joy and meaning. Martial arts being one. I messaged a Goju ryu dojo that's only about 28min drive from me to ask if I can sit in and watch a class and they said I was more than welcome. Will be popping in Wednesday night.

Recently lost my job.. so the MA journey may be a little delayed.. but they offer a free two week trial which is awesome, looking forward to it very much. Was great experiencing Shotokan and what that dojo was all about, so very keen to see pure Goju ryu.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Life has been incredibly difficult of late... so I really need to stay connected to what brings me joy and meaning. Martial arts being one. I messaged a Goju ryu dojo that's only about 28min drive from me to ask if I can sit in and watch a class and they said I was more than welcome. Will be popping in Wednesday night.

Recently lost my job.. so the MA journey may be a little delayed.. but they offer a free two week trial which is awesome, looking forward to it very much. Was great experiencing Shotokan and what that dojo was all about, so very keen to see pure Goju ryu.
Sorry to hear that Simon. You are certainly one of the most enjoyable and upbeat people here on the Forum. I appreciate how you always have something good to say. Keep your head up and with a little bit of effort things will work themselves out.
Stay in touch.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Simon. You are certainly one of the most enjoyable and upbeat people here on the Forum. I appreciate how you always have something good to say. Keep your head up and with a little bit of effort things will work themselves out.
Stay in touch.

That means more to me than you know.. thank you so much.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is something about using a hard target or support where you Know you better not hit it that is very motivating!
Great motion on the standing leg. Good pivot on the ball of the foot. That is something a Lot of people struggle with.

This may be more a semantics thing. Are you doing a spinning hook kick or spinning wheel kick?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can relate to life being difficult, and how much things like MA participation help. I hope you have lots of fun with the Goju folks. Hopefully they'll take you seriously, and work your butt off so you'll be glad you have some time off to recover. :D

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is something about using a hard target or support where you Know you better not hit it that is very motivating!
Great motion on the standing leg. Good pivot on the ball of the foot. That is something a Lot of people struggle with.

This may be more a semantics thing. Are you doing a spinning hook kick or spinning wheel kick?

Yes definitely haha.. once you know there is a very solid object that will hurt, you learn quickly XD. Although sometimes the opposite can happen, you can shortcut something or change the mechanics to something not quite right in order to simply avoid hitting the object. Hence why filming it can help!

Ah thanks, a spinning hook kick, although I'm now looking up the difference as I'm unsure! Mine follows a pretty big arc but still hooks in at or around the impact point... is spinning hook more tight knit then extends out to hook, and wheel is a big spinning more circular arc with bigger range of motion... although it seems that some places use the terms interchangeably...

We just called it ura mawashi geri hehe (reverse round kick)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can relate to life being difficult, and how much things like MA participation help. I hope you have lots of fun with the Goju folks. Hopefully they'll take you seriously, and work your butt off so you'll be glad you have some time off to recover. :D

Hahaha hope so too XD

Yeah I just know if I isolate myself too much (which I DO tend to do...), it's not very healthy.

And it sounds like a really friendly place, the main instructor has a background in Shotokan too, and their adult classes also include some Filipino sticks and some Judo rolling & throwing so it's a mix of arts! Although I'm not too interested in those it may be quite interesting, and I may even take to it!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes definitely haha.. once you know there is a very solid object that will hurt, you learn quickly XD. Although sometimes the opposite can happen, you can shortcut something or change the mechanics to something not quite right in order to simply avoid hitting the object. Hence why filming it can help!

Ah thanks, a spinning hook kick, although I'm now looking up the difference as I'm unsure! Mine follows a pretty big arc but still hooks in at or around the impact point... is spinning hook more tight knit then extends out to hook, and wheel is a big spinning more circular arc with bigger range of motion... although it seems that some places use the terms interchangeably...

We call it ushiro mawashi geri. I always wondered why it isn’t called ushiro kake geri; regular hook kick is kake geri. And why are crescent kicks called soto mawashi geri and uchi mawashi geri?

And who is this geri guy. And doesn’t he know it’s supposed to be spelled Gary?

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
We call it ushiro mawashi geri. I always wondered why it isn’t called ushiro kake geri; regular hook kick is kake geri. And why are crescent kicks called soto mawashi geri and uchi mawashi geri?

Hahaha XD

AH crap yeah that's what I meant, we called it ushiro mawashi geri too, brain slip up!

Yeah some names I think they just used what was already in the vocab, chucked em together and it made some semblance of meaning hehe

And apparently you've got be careful when saying 'geri' just on its own if you're in Japan, apparently means 'diarrhea' XD.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes, I would say you hit the nail on the head. "Hook" is a literal term where the heel/achilles can hit and pull the head forward. For people with the flexibility, a hook kick can be a crazy close in kick. A wheel kick is usually thrown from a little further out. Again, it has a lot to do with the flexibility of the kicker and the speed of the kick. Both kicks are much higher percentage when coming over the persons shoulder instead of into their front side.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahaha hope so too XD

Yeah I just know if I isolate myself too much (which I DO tend to do...), it's not very healthy.

And it sounds like a really friendly place, the main instructor has a background in Shotokan too, and their adult classes also include some Filipino sticks and some Judo rolling & throwing so it's a mix of arts! Although I'm not too interested in those it may be quite interesting, and I may even take to it!
Damn, now _I_ want to go there.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

AND just looking through my old Kyokushin syllabus, also can call it kakato geri (heel kick), ah that's right I remember some instructors used to call it ushiro mawashi kakato geri...

Although we used the term kakato in a few other kick names too.. mae oroshi kakato geri (descending heel kick, NOT an axe kick though, a stomp essentially) and ushiro age kakato geri (rising heel kick to the back).

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I would say you hit the nail on the head. "Hook" is a literal term where the heel/achilles can hit and pull the head forward. For people with the flexibility, a hook kick can be a crazy close in kick. A wheel kick is usually thrown from a little further out. Again, it has a lot to do with the flexibility of the kicker and the speed of the kick. Both kicks are much higher percentage when coming over the persons shoulder instead of into their front side.
Ahhh yep I see, cheers for that, makes sense! Yeah I love close up hook kicks :)

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Hahaha XD

AH crap yeah that's what I meant, we called it ushiro mawashi geri too, brain slip up!

Yeah some names I think they just used what was already in the vocab, chucked em together and it made some semblance of meaning hehe

And apparently you've got be careful when saying 'geri' just on its own if you're in Japan, apparently means 'diarrhea' XD.
We also call it ushiro mawashi geri although the proper spelling is 'keri' but pronounced 'geri'. Geri in Japan does mean diarrhea so I hope we are talking about kicking and not loose stools ;).

Latest Discussions