Journey to a new style...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is exactly the modus operandi of Rinzai Zen. One works deeply on a koan (basically thinking about it all the time, trying to rationalise it somehow) and sits in meditation with the koan thinking or counting breaths or in silence. On top of this is hard physical work weather that be cleaning, scrubbing brushing, chopping firewood, gardening and even martial arts training (swordsmanship and archery being the most popular). This intense mental and physical exertion eventually places you in a state of fragile meditative absorption (samadhi) ready to be snapped out of one’s delusional state by the intervention of one’s roshi or some random stimuli.

I’m fairly certain that this happens to people by accident in their everyday lives while they’re totally unaware of the defined ‘Zen process‘ or even their shift of perception. There will be members on this forum to whom this has happened. Why aren‘t we aware of these people? They seldom talk about it and recognising it is a bit of a skill.
Yeah oh for sure, well said. And I guess when people don't have a frame of reference they can't really explain the experience to anyone in a coherent way, and many I'm sure just sort of forget about it, even if it was truly profound. Dr David Hawkins couldn't speak about his to anyone for about 30 years haha.

But I've learned not to chase these experiences, that's what really, really messes you up, and you end up becoming an addict chasing highs. They come and go. Can't find the exact quote, but Adyashanti says something along the lines of it's not true that the experience has left you, that isn't it true that some part of that is still here now. Something about it never really left you, and to be aware of that fragrance that it left.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zen is like a pudding that nobody can agree on the taste of, because they are too blinded by their tongue.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah oh for sure, well said. And I guess when people don't have a frame of reference they can't really explain the experience to anyone in a coherent way, and many I'm sure just sort of forget about it, even if it was truly profound. Dr David Hawkins couldn't speak about his to anyone for about 30 years haha.

But I've learned not to chase these experiences, that's what really, really messes you up, and you end up becoming an addict chasing highs. They come and go. Can't find the exact quote, but Adyashanti says something along the lines of it's not true that the experience has left you, that isn't it true that some part of that is still here now. Something about it never really left you, and to be aware of that fragrance that it left.
A key idea in Zen is the chain link fence of intruding thoughts, one on top of another, that encases your available mind.

How often during your journey did one thought pop into your head, only to spawn a sequence? Most people are QUICKLY overwhelmed by this.

With practice, it's possible to unlink this chain one by one until you have nothing. Which is, according to the old masters, still a heavy load.

But then throwing away nothing, you just walk away content.

Simple in theory, a lifetime for some to master, unless they hit the lottery, to paraphrase Damo.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... still waiting for my superpowers to kick in...

Been wearing my sparring gear as I make breakfast, reciting the dojo kun and wearing the belt every night while I sleep... still not getting the powers... what am I doing wrong?!?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Been wearing my sparring gear as I make breakfast, reciting the dojo kun and wearing the belt every night while I sleep... still not getting the powers... what am I doing wrong?!?
‘When you seek it, it cannot be found’ Lao Tsu -Tao Te Ching

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe add a radioactive spider into the mix? (Though maybe not as part of breakfast.)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe add a radioactive spider into the mix? (Though maybe not as part of breakfast.)
My goal for achieving true martial arts mastery is to get myself bitten by a radioactive TKD expert, a radioactive Judo expert, and a radioactive Kali expert. If anyone wants to volunteer, I have friends with access to radioactive materials.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Allow me to demonstrate the skill of Shaolin again.

There is no such thing as "always relaxed" especially when physically combating a fellow human. But generally most people who think they are totally relaxed are the most vulnerable people on earth. Like the idiots who smoke pot and think they are elite wrestlers, Eddie Bravo style.

Instead, consider the act of relaxation from fight or flight.

BOOM, you're hit. Damaged, even.

So then, how do relax? I can guarantee you, most people will fail. Because the vast majority do not even know where to begin.

The only way to succeed then, is to have asbestos hands. They might need bandages later but, in the here and now?
You don’t think Eddie is skilled? That’s surprising to me, 10th planet guys seem skilled to me but I’m just a beginner at BJJ so I know almost nothing.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys.... I did it :D. That was incredibly challenging and a really tough 3 hour grading but achieved Shodan Ho/black belt. Months and months and more of preparation but honestly 15 years of preparation and training leading to this moment... so very happy with how it went.

Only can count a very few amount of times I wish I'd done something differently but they were very small things.

The start was the toughest, and we actually got all the physical endurance stuff out of the way right at the start. The calisthenics, pushups, 100 crunches, pushups, plank, 100 squats, followed straight away by the beep test. My legs while tired strangely held up really well; all my training, running, legwork helped heaps. Then straight after beep test was sparring (!). Was only 6 hard rounds, each harder than the last but I was incredibly happy with how I went here. I moved well and felt relaxed and met everything with a sense of confidence and ease. Didn't expect it to be so early but maybe to make sure in case not everyone could stay later.

All else then came after (basic techniques, knowledge, breakfalls, rolls, movement drills, partner drills, sabaki sets, kata etc). Even the formal presentation of the higher katas went great, and I took my time and didn't rush. One of the things I was worried about (bunkai and practical application of kata) went amazing. I remembered everything and was able to explain it clearly and apply it all well.

I know some other style's/club's gradings are tougher than this (eg my old style) but I don't care. It was really tough and feel like I truly earned it. Like my instructor says it's not a survival course, but meant to be about learning and understanding the art and displaying that, and I really like that. Even though your spirit and resilience is truly tested too which is important haha.

Very proud of myself. Prior to it on the day I was super anxious but kept moving, breathing, and just aimed to enjoy the process. And I very much did :)

Alot of my dojo mates stayed back for invaluable support, guidance, encouragement and spirit in sharing this momentous day. It was immensely helpful.

Today I am sore from head to toe haha, literally everywhere! But still went to a 3.5 hour seminar today (the day after) haha. Day off tomorrow I promise!

This one meant alot 💗💗💗
Congrats!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
My goal for achieving true martial arts mastery is to get myself bitten by a radioactive TKD expert, a radioactive Judo expert, and a radioactive Kali expert. If anyone wants to volunteer, I have friends with access to radioactive materials.
This simplifies my plan, you just bite me after you get all those bites.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like the idiots who smoke pot and think they are elite wrestlers, Eddie Bravo style.

You don’t think Eddie is skilled? That’s surprising to me, 10th planet guys seem skilled to me but I’m just a beginner at BJJ so I know almost nothing.
I'm guessing that maybe he's referring to idiots who think they have skills like Eddie Bravo just because they smoke pot? I haven't personally encountered such persons, but it wouldn't surprise me if they existed.

Bravo isn't an elite wrestler, but he is a fairly elite submission grappler. Not in the very top echelon, but better than the vast majority of grapplers.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you think he's skilled at?

Other than bragging about being high on the ground, once he became famous.

Eddie Bravo is not on my Zombie Apocalypse squad. Neither is Joe Rogan for that matter.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing that maybe he's referring to idiots who think they have skills like Eddie Bravo just because they smoke pot? I haven't personally encountered such persons, but it wouldn't surprise me if they existed.

Bravo isn't an elite wrestler, but he is a fairly elite submission grappler. Not in the very top echelon, but better than the vast majority of grapplers.
Is, or was?

A lot of these people get a little exposure and abandon martial arts for...something I'd rather never find.

I think of Bam Margera. Used to be an elite skateboarder. Look at him now.

Guess I am more of a Tony Hawk dude.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you think he's skilled at?

Other than bragging about being high on the ground, once he became famous.

Eddie Bravo is not on my Zombie Apocalypse squad. Neither is Joe Rogan for that matter.
I don’t know enough to know how skilled he is at his craft relative to others. I do know he is a crack pot flat earth believer. That’s not a good look for anybody. I’m ambivalent in regards to Joe Rogan. I’m not much of a UFC fan. As far as Apocalypse squad, Joe Rogan is an avid and accomplished bow hunter, so you may be missing the mark on that one.( see what I did there?)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t know enough to know how skilled he is at his craft relative to others. I do know he is a crack pot flat earth believer. That’s not a good look for anybody. I’m ambivalent in regards to Joe Rogan. I’m not much of a UFC fan. As far as Apocalypse squad, Joe Rogan is an avid and accomplished bow hunter, so you may be missing the mark on that one.( see what I did there?)
Oh wow...did not even know that Flat Earther crap.

See what I mean? Who cares what that guy has done his whole life. Forget him. He's dead weight today, November 2 2023.

Joe Rogan? Jury is out. My metric is Brad Pitt in World War Z. .

Movimiento es vida.

Latest Discussions