Journey to a new style...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay! Been awhile since I've posted here, but struggling bad with the usual pain stuff and had flareups so been unable to really look into other styles and train properly and consistently.

But am feeling relatively good after a few Bowen therapy sessions (and Pranic Healing sessions too which have been incredibly helpful...), and tonight I'm training at a Taekwondo dojang for a few weeks to trial it out! Originally sat in to watch another dojang but.......... hmmm...... let's just say I wasn't a fan in the slightest of the vibe and energy of teaching... so this other one seems cool and the instructor you can tell isn't just a taekwondo practitioner, but just loves martial arts in general and his passion is palpable. A little bit of a drive to get there (25mins) but am not fussed. The other place I checked out is literally 2 mins drive away and I won't be training there. Says much :p. Although that place is the head dojang and the same group, so if I joined I may have to do my gradings there...

First session tonight, craaaazy nervous haha but looking forward to it!

Hmmm... will my legs be sore after tonight... shall see hehe!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok no idea what happened there with the last two messages.. can't even edit them! Ah well..

Had the class and I loved it! Was good fun, the instructor lent me his dobok top, and they're more than ok with me training with them for 3 or 4 weeks. Told him about my pelvic condition and he was very understanding and said how important it is to listen to your body and not push it too hard.

Did a warmup and looots of stretching hehe.. then worked on some kicking drills which I loved doing. A fair bit different to karate, and I loved how he emphasized being relaxed and fluid and flowing it together. Really good instructor, and made sure to be with every group and to point out things to improve. He broke it down, demonstrated it himself multiple times and explained it well.

It was essentially covering distance to do a round kick with the front leg, but not shuffling the back leg up, and instead driving off the back leg, lifting the front knee and launching forward. Then added a tornado kick after that.

Said my kicks were really good, and gave me some pointers. Unfortunately classes are only an hour long which am not sure you can fit much into.. so we mainly worked on those pad kick drills and built on that.

Had never trained with those TKD style hand pads before so that was cool!

I could definitely see myself training here. So I'll go about twice a week and see how we go. I still wanna explore other stuff before I commit. Am a bit iffy still about the head instructor... but I figure if I train with this fellow (who is not like the other at all) I'd only have the gradings to do at the other dojang. Has anyone ever encountered this sort of situation? Haha.. training in a place you love, but every now and then having to train/grade under a different and not as 'preferred' instructor?

All in all very proud that I took the step and went, a big deal for me :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Worked on defense against a stick attack in class on Monday, really cool, and pretty realistic, simple and effective defense too.

Have never been that interested in those sorts of defenses, arm locks, grab defenses etc for some reason, and I wasn't really the best at them (maybe that explains it hehe), but I enjoyed these, and picked them up really quick with some great guidance :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry I hadn't been keeping up with this thread and your journey. Looks like you are having fun and learning some things as well. I am curious how you feel about Gi after having been taught some rudiments. You may have seen some discussions here at MT about it. Some people simply cannot accept the existence of Gi. FWIW, in the Hapkido I studied, we did it a little different. We We stood and moved our hands forward, up, down and from out to in, while bending our legs and breathed in and out while concentrating on our tan jon (greatly simplified explanation). Out of curiosity, I looked up Korean Gi and couldn't find that much with those search words, but did find The Ki in Hapkido Scott Shaw which differs from how I was taught. It obviously works for the article author, as did the way I was taught worked for me. When I studied TKD I was encouraged to concentrate gi into control as well as power, but never practices as I just described when I studied Hapkido.

Glad to see you continuing your search. I hope you find what you like soon. The first one you describe would put it high on my list if I were looking, just for the fac that they promote study of Gi. YMMV and that is OK. You are the one looking for what fits you.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry I hadn't been keeping up with this thread and your journey. Looks like you are having fun and learning some things as well. I am curious how you feel about Gi after having been taught some rudiments. You may have seen some discussions here at MT about it. Some people simply cannot accept the existence of Gi. FWIW, in the Hapkido I studied, we did it a little different. We We stood and moved our hands forward, up, down and from out to in, while bending our legs and breathed in and out while concentrating on our tan jon (greatly simplified explanation). Out of curiosity, I looked up Korean Gi and couldn't find that much with those search words, but did find The Ki in Hapkido Scott Shaw which differs from how I was taught. It obviously works for the article author, as did the way I was taught worked for me. When I studied TKD I was encouraged to concentrate gi into control as well as power, but never practices as I just described when I studied Hapkido.

Glad to see you continuing your search. I hope you find what you like soon. The first one you describe would put it high on my list if I were looking, just for the fac that they promote study of Gi. YMMV and that is OK. You are the one looking for what fits you.

Ah that's all good no probs, thanks mate nice to hear from ya.

Yeah it's all going well, this is only the second style I've trialled out now and it has been a lengthy process, so am trying to be patient with it all. Am so keen to commit to a style and train yet I don't want to rush the process and would like to really click with where I train.

Yeah I'm definitely open to ki and recognise its validity. Considering I've had numerous kinesiology sessions over the years and pranic healing sessions of late (essentially checking within the aura and chakras where there is congestion and unblocking them, delving into the root cause of dysfunction and subconscious beliefs about yourself to release etc), am open to it for sure. And it was really cool to experience it in that first style I tried. And I think that's where it lies. We can all discuss ad nauseum and talk about it, but it defeats the purpose of what it is, and it's only realised through experience, and of course being open to it is key (no pun intended XD). Definitely it's more a felt thing, and I'd love to explore it more. Even basic qigong I'd love to look into, and I do have a book and some vids with a few exercises, but not sure if it's really the best way to learn it.

That's awesome you guys explored that in Hapkido, and that link was fascinating. The only vague exposure I had within Kyokushin was being taught when stepping forward in zenkutsu dachi, to drive forward from the hara and to focus your energy in there to propel you forward (rather than hunching forward, compromising your posture etc).

It's been a really revealing journey so far, and I'm finding myself really excited to train, learn and also to see what martial art I try next. I'm still going to train in TKD for 2 or 3 more weeks then move on, thanks for your kind words :).

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay! Am all finished up with my trial in Taekwondo! Spent a full month training with them (donning the ol white belt was fun ;) ). Was funny, I wore the dobok top the instructor lent me, my old Go Kan Ryu karate pants, and my Kyokushin white belt. (Does that..... make me a... mixed martial artist? *gasp*)

Anyway...

My thoughts?

Loved it.

Had a blast and I really enjoyed my time with them. The instructor was a really cool guy, just oozing with his love for martial arts and a patient and guiding teacher. Quite firm with the kids hehe but I could understand why at times.

Learnt a bit about how they do things in TKD (well this club anyways), fighting stance is more side on, definitely more kicks, but I love how fluid and relaxed they emphasised you to be. And to extend your kick out more rather than keeping it all bundled up. I actually don't recall us throwing a single punch in any of the classes though, although there were many things we didn't have time to cover, so I'm sure they do get trained at some stage. Also didn't get to do patterns, or a general basics techniques class. That's the thing, as there are many classes on during the week, he has to write up a schedule with different themes for each class, and it's hard to do everything with everyone.

But we worked on target training, footwork and movement, leg conditioning exercises (my hips/glutes are STILL sore from that on Monday...), kicks and linking combinations, did quite a bit of self defense, bit of sparring and reaction drills.

I really enjoyed the training and it was great to change up how I did things and open up to different approaches. It did maybe feel more like a physical style, and more wide rather than deep. I don't know if this makes sense... but truly I don't know 100% what I'm looking for. The style has a lot of material to cover, which we did certainly work on in detail, but the hour class flies by and sometimes it's tricky to work on alot of stuff. So wide in terms of alot of material, even though we worked in depth on it, it felt like it was very much physical/technique focused (as opposed to... I don't know, but it didn't feel as though it addressed anything deeper. Kyokushin definitely had that deeper element within the training, even though it was rarely talked about).

Just want to honestly assess the places I train and look at all parts I was exposed to (or not). Then again, it was only a month, so not enough to get a full handle on it, but I'm glad I did the full month, and more importantly was healthy enough to do so even with some very challenging and painful times...

I could absolutely see myself training here though, so it's at the top of the list for sure.

Now onwards! There's a karate club that I've got my eye on that I'm going to try next... they have a full time dojo too. It's one that has themed timetable of classes, so will see how it goes.

Feeling very good about things :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea how many styles/places you're going to check out?

Of course, you may have 5 planned out, then go to the next dojo, immediately fall in love and just stop there.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any idea how many styles/places you're going to check out?

Of course, you may have 5 planned out, then go to the next dojo, immediately fall in love and just stop there.
Yeah I've got a list of ones I'm gonna check out, I think there are about 4 or 5 all up. There are alot more than that around here, but I know some I have just no interest in (grappling/submission arts I've never been drawn to).

But yep absolutely right, if I find one that I absolutely love, I can't see why I'd keep looking haha. And I honestly loved the TKD training, the instructor, and the dojang, but not 100% sure yet. It's certainly at the top of the list for now ;), but I know karate has always had a special place in my heart so I'll do myself a service by checking them out too.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I also just this morning checked out one of the inter-club tournaments that the TKD club holds, and I could definitely see myself competing in it. It looked awesome and like alot of fun. So wanted to just jump in the ring haha..

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just sat in on a new karate dojo tonight, a fulltime dojo that looks awesome. They're a style that used to be Seido Juku, but have since moved on to form their own style whilst keeping alot of syllabus and technique. So it's like a derivative of a derivative of a derivative or something haha!

Really nice instructor, very attentive to the students, and very similar technique and kata to Kyokushin so I'd fit in nicely! They still have alot of practical partner drills, but there's definitely a spiritual vibe to the dojo and also the instructor, which really gels with me :).

Gonna start next week (same deal, trial for a month, train two times a week) and see how we go! They have a full timetable with different themed classes, but I'd be doing only the senior basics ones anyway, so that takes care of the concerns from my other thread.

Another adventure...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had my first session today at the new dojo, was good fun. Very similar in technique to what I'm used to but a few differences to adapt to, did some basics (moreso blocks focused), ido geiko, kata (Taikyoku ichi + san, Pinan ichi + ni), then partnered up for some counter-attack work and self defense stuff. I liked the emphasis on staying relaxed and using the hips more. Am used to chambering the hand with the prearranged stuff but it was cool how kept hands up in cover and not doing the traditional long stance etc.

Only thing is classes are only 45 minutes... which doesn't feel overly long... I guess because they're in blocks and themes and perhaps that suits best, but yeah I definitely like longer classes... will see how it goes anyways. If I enjoy the classes that much then it won't really matter.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm have been invited to grade on Saturday if I'm interested! I've only done 3 classes (tomorrow will be my 4th) but the head instructor said because of my prior experience he's happy for me to attend.

To be honest I know it'd be a breeze (techniques are pretty much identical, just have had to learn some self defense sequences), but not sure if it's worth it... am only training for a month here to trial it out, and I was actually planning on heading in to watch the grading anyway and see how it's run.

I may just watch and see how it goes.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm have been invited to grade on Saturday if I'm interested! I've only done 3 classes (tomorrow will be my 4th) but the head instructor said because of my prior experience he's happy for me to attend.

To be honest I know it'd be a breeze (techniques are pretty much identical, just have had to learn some self defense sequences), but not sure if it's worth it... am only training for a month here to trial it out, and I was actually planning on heading in to watch the grading anyway and see how it's run.

I may just watch and see how it goes.
The grading may be a good idea. Based on your experience, it could put you at the appropriate level for learning, rather than having you start with things you already know.

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend that, but since this is just one of many styles you're trying it, IMO it would be more useful to get the experience of learning new material, rather than going through the motions for material you already know/focusing on slight changes to that material.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The grading may be a good idea. Based on your experience, it could put you at the appropriate level for learning, rather than having you start with things you already know.

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend that, but since this is just one of many styles you're trying it, IMO it would be more useful to get the experience of learning new material, rather than going through the motions for material you already know/focusing on slight changes to that material.
Hmm... you know what you have a great point...

Yeah it still feels bizarre to grade after 4 classes but I have found myself glancing at the higher grades to see what they're doing when the class is broken up into groups (Normally I'm 100% focused on what we're working on, but in this case I wanted to see what they were learning and working on). So it would be nice to be working on other stuff. I'm all for being patient of course, but just to get a gist of what the training will be like.

I'll have a ponder... also feels weird to grade even though I've asked the instructor if I could train with them for only a month. Don't wanna encroach! But might chat with instructor about it.

Thanks for that, didn't think of that :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
.... so! It looks like I'm grading on Saturday haha!

Had a chat with the instructor after class and he pretty much said exactly what you said @kempodisciple, would be a good opportunity to broaden my learning a bit more closer to my current skill level etc, give me the opportunity to look at stuff higher than white belt. He said the white belt grading isn't overly taxing, just basic technique and so on, first kata, the first two self defense sequences, no sparring at all.

And yeah it'll be easy enough as I know all the material, just concerned more with pelvic stuff which had been quite bad of late, but I told him that and he honestly thinks I'll be fine during it.

Golly gosh!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
... nope, did not end up grading, nor training at ALL this week due to quite a nasty cold that's lasted a week now... ugh...

I think it's definitely a sign that I was pushing things a bit hard and taking on too much, may have to scale things down a bit..

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Make sure you keep your diet strong. And get some sleep, bro.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure you keep your diet strong. And get some sleep, bro.
Thanks mate will do, the timing of it all makes sense.. just trying to take it easy. I get it, universe :).

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just an update...

Have been training for 3 weeks at this new place, it's been okay.. I just don't think I've fallen in love with it if I'm being honest...

It almost looks great on paper reasons for me training here, but I dunno, I haven't really vibed with it. The people are friendly, everyone is respectful, technique is similar to what I'm used, it seems they do alot, aLOT of these partnered self defense sequences. Every class we've gone through them and spent a great deal of time on them, and while those looking purely for self defense would benefit, I'm just not haha, and find it's just not really something I want to dedicate alot of time to. It's like every class has been mostly the same with not a great deal of variety, and working on solely curriculum stuff (in which there are a lot of those sequences, takedowns etc), which of course does makes sense, that's what you're there to learn and train.

Am I the only one who isn't that interested in takedowns, locks etc? Have been reflecting, I know I'm more drawn to the deeper spiritual aspects of MA, the focus, discipline, meditative aspects, physical mastery, technique... perhaps it's moreso the forging of the body into that embodiment of speed, power, ease, technically-brilliant ideal that I'm more drawn to.

Before I started I honestly thought this would be the place I end up at... The teacher is a really great instructor and martial artist, and he's a machine in terms of power and flow and technique, and I greatly respect him.

I did sit in and watch their sparring class too tonight, and man they go pretty hard... reminded me of Kyokushin days, only these guys had more padding. Really not sure the body could withstand that intensity of sparring either... and whether I want to go down the road of killing myself in training yet again...

Like I said earlier, I truly do not know what I'm looking for in a style/dojo... I guess I'll know when I know?

Still 1 week left here then I shall move upward and onward... :s

Signing out, lost and confused.....