This situation is being discussed on some other sites I'm on and my Gracie JJ instructor talked about it at class last night. I was wondering what people here thought about it. Of course we in the general public don't have all the facts, but it has been well covered in the media, so based on what we do know:
- Was Neely a threat? If so, what level of a threat and to who specifically?
- Was Penny justified in intervening?
- Was a rear naked choke, held for an extended period of time, the right approach? Neely was struggling the most of the time, so Penny could not have had it in tight the whole time.
- Penny is charged with 2nd degree manslaughter. NY law defines that as when a person "recklessly causes the death of another person (even though there was no intent to kill.) What does anyone think of the appropriateness of that charge?
- Anything else that seems relevant.