Joint recovery

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anything you can use to treat joints (mostly wrists) after a night of hoshinsul. I already do Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM for general joint health but just curious if I could do anything to help recovery after a good nights practice for me and my older children who train with me (advil? warm water soaking? anything to rub?)

Thanks

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not a doctor but ...

R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and an anti-inflammatory like Advil. Is the doctor advice I've gotten for my multiple joint adventures. Also you should avoid heat for joint aggravation and injury because it causes fluid to accumulate making the condition worse. You've basically stretched the limits and need to give it time to recover. No quick fixes - sorry.

SA_BJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Epson salt baths help for sore joints and muscles for me. HOT water, lots of salt and just soak...

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you find the glucosamine helps?

I use it mostly for my knees for the kicking and such. Basically the combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin works such that one increases the ability of the joints to absorb water and the other helps draw water into the joints so the combination improves the cushioning in your joints. Yeah, works pretty well

I've also just had recommended to me Dit Da Jow for before and after training. Anyone know much about it?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try asking partners to slow down a bit and SLAP SOONER, i.e., when you feel the lock first starting to work instead of waiting on excruciating pain.

:)

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On the RICE thing, I was taught last year that they had removed COMPRESSION.

Maybe - Last time I went - this year:) they said the compression reduces the swelling. Restricts the accumulation of fluid. All these (R.I.C.E) can be overdone. ex. Ice should be restricted to 20 minutes at time.

To piggyback on the prevention side. Do your wrist warm up and stretches before practice. Also weight bearing exercises for strength.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FearlessFreep,

Thanks for asking the question, I was about to ask the same thing, and thanks to everyone for suggestions.

zDom,

When it's teacher or senior student putting in the lock, I can't tap fast enough. Last night senior student gave me quite an introduction to the kubotan. I see why it's called persuader!

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i also use epsom salts a lot. i also had good results with fish oil. real fish like wild caught salmon or tuna is best, but a high quality supplement will do too. massage will help too. advil is good, but i have had better luck with naproxen sodium like aleve.

good luck, it took me a while to figure out the right combinations to work for me.

jf

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
When it's teacher or senior student putting in the lock, I can't tap fast enough. Last night senior student gave me quite an introduction to the kubotan. I see why it's called persuader!

Also, in my case, one technique is fine. A night full of reps, it accumulates.

Also, if a technique is intended to elicit a reaction from the attacker, then you need to be sure you are eliciting that reaction. Even if you don't take it to the point of damage, you still have to take it to the point of effectiveness. If my son or my daughter (or I) don't have the angles and forces right, then the technique really doesn't work, so even in a controlled training environment, you still have to ensure the technique works. I wont move unless my son makes me move, but when he makes me move, I move :) but after a night, it get s a bit tender :)

This is why 'respect and protect' is so crucial for your partners.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Slow down, that is important. Watch control. That is a big trick. Do a lot of wrist rotations. If it hurts don't do it. Listen to your body and do what it tells you to.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
zDom,

When it's teacher or senior student putting in the lock, I can't tap fast enough.

Yea, it is rough in the early stages. Eventually you work the "poisons" out of your joints and they don't hurt QUITE as much.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe - Last time I went - this year:) they said the compression reduces the swelling. Restricts the accumulation of fluid. All these (R.I.C.E) can be overdone. ex. Ice should be restricted to 20 minutes at time.

Before I posted that I did a quick google for links, and found nothing to back up not using Compression. TBH I can't really remember why it was either. Blood flow perhaps, or the fact that swelling is protective, I dont know.

Dit Da Jow can be very good for bruises, but is an epic subject all of its own that I am not qualified on. I do use the stuff.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple ibuprofen helps as well :). I do Glucosamine/Chron, along with fish oil (2x per meal) and then a few ibuprofen before I train. Does wonders for me. Post workout a couple of bananas and some choc milk, maybe a bit of cheese.
RICE, but also alternate ice/hot/ice if you _really_ have inflamation. (end with COLD, see above posts about fluid accumulation).