Recovering from injury

seca2man

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello: I just started training again after a 10+ year absence. I've kept myself in pretty good aerobic shape and I usually take care to perform a thorough stretch and warm up before each class. Started sparring today and now my groin muscles feel like they're on fire! Guess I haven't kicked much during the past 10 years.

Any advice on how to strengthen the groin area? I've got pretty strong legs so I'm surprised I pulled a muscle in this area. Any advice on recovery? I'm doing a lot of butterfly stretches along with Advil! I guess part of the problem is also that I'm 10 years older and no longer a young buck! Thanks for any helpful hints on how to recover from this injury

Full salute

Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello: I just started training again after a 10+ year absence. I've kept myself in pretty good aerobic shape and I usually take care to perform a thorough stretch and warm up before each class. Started sparring today and now my groin muscles feel like they're on fire! Guess I haven't kicked much during the past 10 years.

Any advice on how to strengthen the groin area? I've got pretty strong legs so I'm surprised I pulled a muscle in this area. Any advice on recovery? I'm doing a lot of butterfly stretches along with Advil! I guess part of the problem is also that I'm 10 years older and no longer a young buck! Thanks for any helpful hints on how to recover from this injury

Full salute

Sean

It sounds to me that you pushed yourself a bit harder than you should have. Given the long absence, I'd really make sure you're warmed up. I wouldn't push your kicks too much right now. Give your body a chance to get used to all of this activity again.

Mike

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I’d be careful about the type of warm up. Keep it to sport specific movements and if you must stretch use dynamic stretches and avoid static ones. Nothing wrong with them but they are best left to dedicated session. There have been a number of studies showing that static stretches prior to activity can increase the risk of injury. No matter how fit you are you will have muscle soreness when you try something that is different to your normal training. If is more than just sore muscles then perhaps take things a little easier.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to stretch in the shower before I gave up on doing the anatomically unsound kicking techniques from my former tkd school. Since then no matter which kick I do I'm okay. On the rare occasion I am a little sore, I go back to stretching in as hot a shower as I can muster.

Latest Discussions